The Price Of Oil - Page 3 of 81

Living in Michigan, I am very suspicious about - Page 3 - Politics, Business, Civil, History - Posted: 21st May, 2004 - 2:56pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 7  ...Latest (81) »

?
Poll: Of the following which ONE word best describes why the price of oil is going up so high...
  Greed       43.40%
  Arabs       11.32%
  Bush / Obama       3.77%
  Venezuela       1.89%
  Opec       11.32%
  Europe       5.66%
  Inflation       13.21%
  Poverty       0.00%
  Technology       1.89%
  China       1.89%
  USA       5.66%
Total Votes: 53
Guests Cannot Vote - Join To Add Your Vote! 
Oil Prices Gas Prices Go Up and Up and Up - Global Fuel - A lot of North Americans complain about the high price of Gasoline, but did you know that North Americans pay less than many other developed nations for Oil and Gas?
21st May, 2004 - 7:44am / Post ID: #

The Price Of Oil - Page 3

Bush Says He Won't Tap Oil Reserve to Stem Price Rise
May 20 (Bloomberg) -- Rising oil prices don't constitute a crisis and are no reason to tap into the U.S. Strategic Petroleum Reserve, President George W. Bush said.

"In my judgment it does not rise to the level of a national emergency,'' Bush said in an interview with television reporters at the White House. He blamed strong demand for rising prices and said oil consumers are paying a "risk premium'' in part because of concern about terrorism and disruption of supplies from Iraq.

https://quote.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=1...cIOVRE&refer=us

The absolute cheapest in my neighborhood is $2.39/2.49/2.59 -- and rising almost daily.
Roz

Reconcile Edited: FarSeer on 21st May, 2004 - 7:47am

International Level: Ambassador / Political Participation: 595 ActivistPoliticianAmbassador 59.5%

Sponsored Links:
21st May, 2004 - 9:37am / Post ID: #

Oil Price The

Although I hate the high prices and would love to see reserves released to lower the price I am paying, I must admit I think President Bush is correct. To me, an emergency is when we don't have enough supply to meet demand, not when the price is more than we think we should have to pay.

International Level: Diplomat / Political Participation: 320 ActivistPoliticianDiplomat 32%

21st May, 2004 - 10:24am / Post ID: #

The Price Of Oil History & Civil Business Politics

Exactly. And the reserves are called "strategic" for a reason! What do we do when those reserves are used up? They wouldn't last more than a few days, at most, and then what? I can't believe the Prez is being pressured to do this.

International Level: Ambassador / Political Participation: 595 ActivistPoliticianAmbassador 59.5%

21st May, 2004 - 10:29am / Post ID: #

Page 3 Oil Price The

It's all politics. This is an election year after all. Don't you remember back in the winter of the last election, when they released some of these reserves because home heating fuel prices were so high. I didn't agree with it then either. An emergency isn't that prices are high, it is that supply isn't sufficent. In my opinion.

By the way, have you seen the reports that say that when you factor in inflation we are paying less for a gallon of gas now then we did in the 80's or people did in the 50's? Doesn't make it any easier, but it is interesting, just the same.

International Level: Diplomat / Political Participation: 320 ActivistPoliticianDiplomat 32%

21st May, 2004 - 10:54am / Post ID: #

Oil Price The

By the way, have you seen the reports that say that when you factor in inflation we are paying less for a gallon of gas now then we did in the 80's or people did in the 50's? Doesn't make it any easier, but it is interesting, just the same.
laugh.gif No, I haven't seen that, but of course that would be circulating now, just when the prices are so high. Seems like "calming the masses" stuff to me.

IMO
Roz

21st May, 2004 - 12:48pm / Post ID: #

The Price Of Oil

Do you realize that the people/organizations who prosper most from gasoline are government agencies? Just like with tobacco and alcohol, government, through taxes, get far more of the money than the oil companies. The oil companies only need to make a few cents/gallon profit, Federal government taxes are at least $.35/gallon, plus whatever the state adds.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 854 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 85.4%

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
21st May, 2004 - 1:23pm / Post ID: #

The Price Oil - Page 3

While it is true that each gallon of gas is heavily taxed in the US, there can be an argument made that we all who drive vehicles get a benefit from it. This money goes to our highway fund (the federal government) and to the state road repair funds generally. We drive the roads and this is one of the ways we pay to keep them driveable. If we lower the tax on gas, we also have to increase some other tax by the same ratio in order to maintain the status quo.

Of course, what our government does with all the money it collects is an entirely different topic we could probably discuss at length.

By the way, I filled up this morning and paid $2.11 per gallon for regular.

Reconcile Edited: tenaheff on 21st May, 2004 - 1:23pm

21st May, 2004 - 2:56pm / Post ID: #

The Price Oil Politics Business Civil & History - Page 3

Living in Michigan, I am very suspicious about claims that gas taxes go to road repair. I always heard how bad the roads are here, but this is ridiculous.

We do all benefit from gas taxes. But the gas taxes go into the general fund, along with the tobacco taxes, income taxes, and all the others. Then they get disbursed to various causes that have nothing to do with roads or other infrastructure.

However, I stand by my original statement. Government is the biggest beneficiary from gasoline profits. If they really wanted to lower gas prices (and thus food, clothes, and everything else that is shipped), they could start by reducing those taxes. That would have far more effect than releasing any of the strategic oil reserves.

The strategic reserves are so small, all they can do is help the military last for a while under emergency conditions. Drilling in ANWR starting 5 years ago would have helped, but that is out of the question, apparently. This will, however, help Texas, Oklahoma, and North Dakota oil companies get going again.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 854 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 85.4%

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 7  ...Latest (81) »

> TOPIC: The Price Of Oil

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,