The Price Of Oil - Page 4 of 81

Well, I filled up yesterday for $2.07 - Page 4 - Politics, Business, Civil, History - Posted: 8th Jun, 2004 - 1:12pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8  ...Latest (81) »

?
Poll: Of the following which ONE word best describes why the price of oil is going up so high...
  Greed       43.40%
  Arabs       11.32%
  Bush / Obama       3.77%
  Venezuela       1.89%
  Opec       11.32%
  Europe       5.66%
  Inflation       13.21%
  Poverty       0.00%
  Technology       1.89%
  China       1.89%
  USA       5.66%
Total Votes: 53
Guests Cannot Vote - Join To Add Your Vote! 
Oil Prices Gas Prices Go Up and Up and Up - Global Fuel - A lot of North Americans complain about the high price of Gasoline, but did you know that North Americans pay less than many other developed nations for Oil and Gas?
21st May, 2004 - 3:01pm / Post ID: #

The Price Of Oil - Page 4

We are the government. That is the point I am making. Everyone wants lower taxes (myself included) yet very few people are willing to accept the inevitable cuts in services that come from lower taxes. Even if this money goes into a general fund, and I believe this probably varies state to state, if the tax is cut, some expenditure has to be cut or some other tax raised.

I have always been under the impression that gas taxes were, in fact, kept separate and therefore, this tax is a use tax.

In any event, that tax isn't likely to go down anytime soon. I understand that in Europe or at least in Great Britain, the government places high taxes on gasoline the same way we do here on cigarettes as a way to encourage people to drive less.

International Level: Diplomat / Political Participation: 320 ActivistPoliticianDiplomat 32%

Sponsored Links:
23rd May, 2004 - 5:06pm / Post ID: #

Oil Price The

Perhaps that's something we should strive for here -- not the high taxes, of course, but diminishing our driving time.

We are the government.

While I agree we are *supposed* to be the government, these days it is rarely true. But that's another topic ....

International Level: Ambassador / Political Participation: 595 ActivistPoliticianAmbassador 59.5%

24th May, 2004 - 1:29pm / Post ID: #

The Price Of Oil History & Civil Business Politics

Saudi Arabia has committed to providing more crude oil per day to meet market demand. This should help prices, but I bet we don't see much relief before the end of summer because no matter what happens each year with crude oil production and price, the prices or gasoline always go up in the summer months to take advantage of greater use for vacations.

https://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5045279/

International Level: Diplomat / Political Participation: 320 ActivistPoliticianDiplomat 32%

24th May, 2004 - 2:03pm / Post ID: #

Page 4 Oil Price The

Apparently it isn't so much a problem with availability of crude. Instead, we are short of refining capacity, since the government hasn't allowed a new refinery to be built in 30 years.

https://www.opinionjournal.com/columnists/p...t/?id=110005087

This article goes into great detail about what is happening to drive the rise in prices. One of the things I already knew about is the fact that federal and state governments require all sorts of different formulations, all of which reduce capacity at refineries and add cost.

This is a very enlightening article.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 854 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 85.4%

Post Date: 25th May, 2004 - 10:52pm / Post ID: #

The Price Of Oil
A Friend

Oil Price The

We're paying $2.15-$2.20 per gallon here in the Phoenix area now. But, if you go 50 miles in any direction, out of the county you can find it under $2 a gallon still. I remeber as a kid in the 1960's, gas was about .35 cents a gallon and I once saw it for .23 cents in a gas war. But it is all relative, adjusting for inflation we aren't paying more now than in the past. Fuel was artificially low there for awhile. Still, with proper procedures in place, more refineries etc, I think gas can go back down to $1.25 or so.

8th Jun, 2004 - 2:38am / Post ID: #

The Price Of Oil

Gas around here is running anywhere from $2.359 up to $2.459 in a 25 mile radius. This morning on the radio, they were discussing how the gas prices are affecting us in *real* life. Many people phoned in and told of vacations delayed or reduced by time, distance, or number of people traveling from the same family (parents went without kids, etc.) What really got me was a family who decided that the cost of gas was the tipping point in deciding that the mom would now stay home with the kids rather than work (hurray!). In another family, the father was now taking the metro-link train rather than drive. The cost of that is around $100 a month less than what gas is now costing them.

I'll guess that some others are deciding to work from home, or try that at least part time until they find out if they can earn enough to do it full time.

Interesting times.
Roz

International Level: Ambassador / Political Participation: 595 ActivistPoliticianAmbassador 59.5%

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
8th Jun, 2004 - 11:55am / Post ID: #

The Price Oil - Page 4

In our home, the gas prices are contributing to the fact that my wife is now LOOKING for a job. (Although the daughter in college who has ravaged our bank accounts for the last three months is, truthfully, more of the problem wink.gif )

But with trying to keep four cars running the gas prices really are taking their toll.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 854 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 85.4%

8th Jun, 2004 - 1:12pm / Post ID: #

The Price Oil Politics Business Civil & History - Page 4

Well, I filled up yesterday for $2.07 a gallon regular. The normal price is $2.15, but on Monday's it is $0.08 per gallon off. Thursdays is $0.06 per gallon off.

I read an article on the internet last week that said the gas prices weren't effecting how people lived their lives. That people were still going on vacation, etc. I wonder with whom it is they spoke? Members of the oil cartel? wink.gif

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8  ...Latest (81) »

> TOPIC: The Price Of Oil

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,