A GM That Delivers True To Life Role-Play Gaming

A Gm Delivers True Life Role-play Gaming - Board, Card, RPG Reviews - Posted: 2nd Jul, 2011 - 5:04pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

28th April 2024's Text Adventure:
Choose Your Medieval Fantasy Character:

Cleric
Cleric
Wizard
Wizard
Ranger
Ranger
Draconian
Draconian
Rogue
Rogue
Fighter
Fighter
Paladin
Paladin
Barbarian
Barbarian
Warlock
Warlock

+  1 2 3 
Post Date: 27th Jun, 2011 - 7:05am / Post ID: #

A GM That Delivers True To Life role-play gaming

Name: Teddy

Comments: I've found that is really hard to find a GM that delivers a role-playing game that is true to life. Its either way too easy or too much like playing a super hero, there is no reality involved... Am I the only one experiencing this?

Sponsored Links:
28th Jun, 2011 - 4:48pm / Post ID: #

Gaming Role-Play Life True Delivers GM A

I know exactly what you mean. As a GM myself I try to deliver reality as part of the gaming experience. Too often I find players wanting an answer to just fall into their lap or take highly illogical steps and yet experience success. They quickly find out I am not a Montey Hall type of GM. Feel free to join in the World of Medieval if you are looking for something realistic.

1st Jul, 2011 - 7:27am / Post ID: #

A GM That Delivers True To Life Role-Play Gaming Reviews RPG & Card Board

I can't agree or disagree because the OP did not explain what he meant by "realistic", and his examples for extremes were the same; either way too easy, or you play a superhero, which I would think would also be too easy? True to life in what way? Maybe some examples would help clarify the vague post? Though if it is a guest account, those probably aren't forthcoming.

1st Jul, 2011 - 12:21pm / Post ID: #

OP means original poster? The first poster did not write the word "realistic", I wrote that... he said "true to life" which obviously means "realistic" or just as real life is..., at least that is my interpretation of it. If you watch a 'reality TV show' do you expect one of the actors to suddenly inherit super powers? No. Do you expect that you will see them come into a million dollar lotto? No. Reality TV is mundane stuff that is what everyone else does. I like to think of realistic role-play gaming the same way... Your characters act just as people would have acted for the period of playing, of course based on the limits of your imagination.

1st Jul, 2011 - 6:07pm / Post ID: #

I suppose I should have said "Teddy" instead of OP.

I think, first of all, it depends on the game you're in, and what expectations you were given, before you joined. If you joined with the promise or idea that it would be "true to life", regardless of what the genre/setting was, then yes, it definitely should be as close to what you expect as possible.

However, the player also has a lot to do with this, in not making assumptions, and is responsible, if verisimilitude (quality of realism) is high on his or her priorities, for asking the GM specifically about the level of reliable and consistent realism, in knowing what the player can expect. No GM can be "perfect" in his or her delivery of "product" every time, but a GM should be honest and if they really can't say they know how well they're able to deliver a certain experience, that should be their response: "I will try my best to give my players X, but I'm pretty new to GMing" or something along those lines, and it is up to the player to take the risk or not.

The player can also talk the level of realism over with other players before the game starts for the first time, if able, finding out their preferences, and seeing which way the game overall is likely to lean, as a group full of people that enjoy high-impact, low-maintenance action movie games are unlikely to be too keen on counting every bullet or making sure they have enough food and water for every day.

That said, in respect to the last point, some games lend themselves more to "true to life" than others, as a general rule: superhero games, being usually comic-book based, are highly stylized and though they vary, sometimes don't even bother with much gear or character development at all, making a lot of broad assumptions, in favor of the "four color/two-dimensional" flavor of the world of superheroes. Gritty supers are popular also, though, and some will be more to some players' tastes than others, and will be much more unforgiving and strict in not just day-to-day inventory but also more abstract things like moral codes and collateral damage.

The same goes for any genre; modern, future, fantasy, post-apocalyptic, horror or anything else. It is best for the player to research the game system being used if possible, to see what level of realism it "natively" supports, which, while it isn't a guarantee, is at least a starting point to help judge the probability of finding a game with a desired level of realism.

1st Jul, 2011 - 6:18pm / Post ID: #

international QUOTE (JPatt)
However, the player also has a lot to do with this, in not making assumptions, and is responsible, if verisimilitude (quality of realism) is high on his or her priorities, for asking the GM specifically about the level of reliable and consistent realism, in knowing what the player can expect.

Correct, and this largely depends on a number of factors:

1. Did the GM supply detailed information about how the game runs, what is to be expected of both Players and the GM? If yes then on to #2:

2. Do the Players take the time to read the information the GM has supplied or have they just assumed and want to be spooned fed the game rules asking questions at every turn rather than read what is written? If they have read well then on to #3:

3. Are they their character or are they really role-playing? I find that many Players try to be their character rather than actually role-play how their character would respond thus taking away from the 'true to life feel'.

I believe it is much like any novel... When you read you get a picture of what the book is about and the characters within. The assuming player will just take the front cover and without reading assess the whole book. It is a matter of perspective.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
2nd Jul, 2011 - 12:58am / Post ID: #

A GM Delivers True Life Role-Play Gaming

This looks like a small debate so if I might I'll just throw in my two cents. I think JB is a very true to life GM. I've been in a couple of games before I came to this site and I didn't enjoy it as much. It was partly the players too because there would be fights over stupid things and it turns into a shouting match. Then the GM will miss things too and you're thinking I don't remember seeing that there before. Anyway I like your style JB and come on over Teddy.

2nd Jul, 2011 - 5:04pm / Post ID: #

A GM Delivers True Life Role-Play Gaming Board Card & RPG Reviews

I appreciate your endorsement FairMaiden. When I make a Scenario I try to make it as thought provoking, mysterious and realistic as possible. This is especially true with Future Earth and World of Medieval where I have supplied a lot of background information and colorful characters to both give information and add to the story.

+  1 2 3 

> TOPIC: A GM That Delivers True To Life Role-Play Gaming

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,