Media - Newspapers & Magazines

Media Newspapers Magazines - Sciences, Education, Art, Writing, UFO - Posted: 1st Oct, 2006 - 2:14pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

Post Date: 5th Mar, 2004 - 10:58am / Post ID: #

This thread has been started so professionals or others involved in this sector can post their job related descriptions and experiences to help you better determine if this is the career/job you would like to pursue in the future.

Professional: Please tell what the job involves, the pros and cons, usual salary, and kinds of promotions
Future Professional: You may ask questions here, but please be specific

Note: This board should not be used for discussions relevant to other boards.

Sponsored Links:
28th Sep, 2006 - 5:09am / Post ID: #

Magazines and Newspapers Media

Having been interested in an editor position for a long time, this field intrigues me. Editors of newspapers are not the highest paid occupation, but they fare far better than many. The median wage, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, is $45,500 per year, with higher paying (up to around $85,000) areas in major metropolitan cities particularly on both the east and west coast.

This is one of those occupations where you have to "pay your dues" before you can achieve any kind of rank in the hierarchy. Meaning, you have to start at the bottom and work your way up; however, initiative is rewarded. I'd so enjoy apprenticing as an editor's assistant!

28th Sep, 2006 - 1:47pm / Post ID: #

Media - Newspapers & Magazines UFO & Writing Art Education Sciences

Roz, is A LOT of work. I worked for a magazine years ago as a writer and the business is not as nice as I thought it would be. In order for a person to become an editor has to have years and years of experience under their belt to even be considered for the position.

29th Sep, 2006 - 6:31am / Post ID: #

That I am sure of - that it's a lot of work! I also understand that it can be so dull and boring when there isn't any "exciting" news happening in the world. Maybe what I'd really rather be is a proofreader...

Post Date: 1st Oct, 2006 - 2:14pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Having been interested in an editor position for a long time, this field intrigues me.

This is weird because I always thought you reminded me of an editor we had at the paper where I work. She mostly would do proof-reading and write for our editorial page once in awhile. Now she is retired but writes a book review column for us about once a month.

It's funny, but you even kind of look like her, only younger. You don't also happen to have an affinity for bubble-wrap do you? smile.gif

I do miss her quirky comments at work.

> TOPIC: Media - Newspapers & Magazines

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,