Overcoming Dungeons & Dragons Addiction - Page 4 of 5

Addicted? I like to game but I can't - Page 4 - Board, Card, RPG Reviews - Posted: 14th Jul, 2017 - 8:05pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

24th April 2024's Text Adventure:
Choose Your Medieval Fantasy Character:

Draconian
Draconian
Ranger
Ranger
Warlock
Warlock
Cleric
Cleric
Rogue
Rogue
Wizard
Wizard
Paladin
Paladin
Fighter
Fighter
Barbarian
Barbarian

+  1 2 3 4 5 
Overcoming Dungeons &, Dragons Addiction Addiction to Dungeons and Dragons - "2 days straight or not I can't shut my eyes yet, I need to find out how this turns out for my character!"
Post Date: 28th Jul, 2014 - 2:35am / Post ID: #

Overcoming Dungeons & Dragons Addiction - Page 4

Name: Stompie

Comments: I will admit that I'm semi-addicted to most role-playing games, even if I don't know how to play I will leave back stuff to read the manuals just so I'm in the know.

Sponsored Links:
30th Oct, 2015 - 9:20pm / Post ID: #

Addiction Dragons and Dungeons Overcoming

For me it all began in the early nineties when I was in fourth grade. My older cousin lived with my family for a time and when he left he managed to leave behind some of his Dungeons & Dragons books. The first one I remember finding was the monster manual, then he had the unearthed arcana and the Dungeon Master's Guide (All first edition) for Advance Dungeons & Dragons. I didn't have the players handbook, but he did leave behind the old Holmes Dungeons & Dragons; a thin blue book that only took the characters to third level.

I played with a couple of friends and eventually I managed to come across the 2nd edition players handbook. I remember making crude little maps and going on equally crude adventures (Some of which never got past the tavern), but I remember that it was a blast for me. When my family moved away I think that Dungeons & Dragons became more of a form of escapism in a sense, because I rarely had anyone to play with so I spent most of my time creating worlds, generating characters, and sort of playing out adventures in my mind. I was the scrawny new kid who didn't really fit in. I think to some extent the game was a link to my home town and my old friends that I never let go of.

Later, in High School, I found other Role-playing Game 's like Vampire: The Masquerade and occasionally could find someone to play with, but they were never as into it or as involved with it as I was. Was it an addiction? I don't know about that, I did have a life outside of Role-playing Game but the game has always been there and I'm not sure a day has gone by without me focusing at least some of my thoughts on something Role-playing Game related. I will also admit that there were times, before I had a family of my own and a wife who could bring me back to reality, that I would get so involved in creating worlds and characters, etc that I would forget to eat lunch or dinner or stay up until the wee morning hours working on my games.

I've never blurred the lines of reality where I thought I was my character, or anything like that, but I do remember shirking some responsibilities in favor of involvement with Role-Playing Games. When I was in High School there were many times I spent my time working on Role-playing Games rather than doing my homework, and obviously my grades suffered for it.

I remember once being on a trip with my church's youth group and we stopped at a shopping center in Denver where I picked up a copy of Greyhawk W.A.R.S. (Which was awesome by the way), and my youth pastor looked at me and questioned my purchase. He said it was Satanic. I looked at him with confusion and said "No it's not" In a matter of fact way and went on to purchase it. That was my first exposure to any sort of "Satanic Panic" Surrounding Dungeons & Dragons and despite considering myself a fairly devout Christian (Baptist at the time), I rejected the notion that the game was somehow linked to the diabolical, and I continue to reject that notion as a devout Catholic Christian.

I think that to cross the line into addiction, I feel like the intensity of the focus that one places on anything in particular such as gaming, whether that be pen/paper Role-playing Games or video games, etc, needs to be such that it has a fairly significant impact on ones ability to "Live, laugh, love" So to speak. If ones dedication to gaming gets to the point where it is negatively impacting their life (Family life, job, etc) then it needs to be looked at and addressed just as any addiction.

I think on Role-playing Games a lot, and I dedicate a lot of focus toward this particular hobby, but not to the extent that I have lost my job or family, or suffered ill health so I'm not sure I could really say I'm addicted to Role-playing Games anymore than I think the OP author is "Addicted" To gaming based on assigning "Stats" To people they meet. Now if you were to tell me "My wife left me and I lost my job because I spent all my time behind a GM screen" Or if you become so immersed in your character that you actually think you are your character, then it might be time seek some counseling or other support. If you don't work, and your about to be evicted for failure to pay rent simply because you spend every waking moment involved in the hobby, then you might consider the possibility that it has become an addiction.

It really depends on the impact that this "Addiction" Has on ones life and the life of those around the individual. There's nothing wrong with being focused on the hobby and spending a lot of time/energy/resources on ones hobby, unless this focus starts to negatively impact the individuals ability to function, or it negatively impacts the relationships that are important to the individual.

Anyway, I've said my piece and counted the three...

5th Nov, 2015 - 10:59pm / Post ID: #

Overcoming Dungeons & Dragons Addiction Reviews RPG & Card Board

You really had to be addicted to tell your pastor that. laugh.gif most of the teens I know would have just stayed quiet about it. I appreciate your story, it was interesting how Role-playing Games evolved in the life of someone. Just one question though... Does your wife play? If she doesn't have you ever asked her if she thinks you're addicted?

Post Date: 6th Nov, 2015 - 2:23am / Post ID: #

Overcoming Dungeons & Dragons Addiction
A Friend

Page 4 Addiction Dragons and Dungeons Overcoming

There's a huge difference between enjoying one's hobby and becoming addicted or completely absorbed in it. If it does no damage to your life, your profession, or your family or friends, role-playing is a great pass-time. Just like anything pleasurable, however, one must be wary to not throw too much of one's life into it, to the point of self-destruction. I've lost two players who I had to release when their personal lives were suffering because of the time they spent thinking about the game.

5th Jul, 2016 - 8:55am / Post ID: #

Addiction Dragons and Dungeons Overcoming

How would someone know that they're addicted to Dungeons & Dragons if for them its all normal and everyone else has the problem?

2nd Jan, 2017 - 11:21pm / Post ID: #

Gamemaster tell them that they can prove it by having nothing to do with Dungeons & Dragons for the next 4 weeks without getting moody, angry or jumpy and then they know they aren't addicted.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 2nd Jan, 2017 - 11:30pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Overcoming Dungeons & Dragons Addiction - Page 4

It's like anything else. Do it in moderation. If you focus too heavily on even healthy pursuits it can turn unhealthy.

Rather off topic, but...
Aeric, I saw that you played Vampire the Masquerade. That was my introduction into role playing games. Still my favorite game.

14th Jul, 2017 - 8:05pm / Post ID: #

Overcoming Dungeons & Dragons Addiction Board Card & RPG Reviews - Page 4

Addicted? I like to game but I can't see how you can be addicted to it I mean there is so much more to do in life besides just roleplay.

+  1 2 3 4 5 

> TOPIC: Overcoming Dungeons & Dragons Addiction

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,