Sports Vs. Sabbath - Page 3 of 9

QUOTE I really don't know what to - Page 3 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 16th May, 2004 - 9:28pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 7  ...Latest (9) »

?
Poll: Is it okay to play sports on the sabbath?
  Yes       11.76%
  No       29.41%
  Under certain circumstances       58.82%
Total Votes: 17
Guests Cannot Vote - Join To Add Your Vote! 
When is it ok, not okay... is it okay?
12th Mar, 2004 - 10:45pm / Post ID: #

Sports Vs. Sabbath - Page 3

I will not mention the Sports part again, I feel like I am flogging a dead horse.

I think the question is a good one to discuss. I just haven't agreed yet with your reasoning. smile.gif I guess, on the one hand, I feel it is o.k. to play sports on Sunday if this is your profession, yet I don't think it is o.k. to go to the sporting event to watch it on Sunday.

I do not go to sporting events on Sunday, yet I watch them on TV. My reasoning for this is that I am not conducting business by watching them on my set. I know others who watch no TV at all on Sunday.

JB, you made a good point about getting all riled up while watching a sporting event. This is true whether or not it is on TV.

If no one watched on Sunday, they would stop holding Sunday games.

Reconcile Edited: tenaheff on 12th Mar, 2004 - 10:46pm

Sponsored Links:
13th Mar, 2004 - 5:57pm / Post ID: #

Sabbath Vs Sports

What about my job as a network engineer? Should I pick a different career because I sometimes am required to work on Sunday? My only point for asking this is that we can easily judge an athlete and say it is just a game and so they should choose to do some other work rather than one that requires them to work on Sunday, but what about Computer Network Engineers? I am not saving anyone's life, but my computer network is essential to the success of the Firm for which I work.

Nobody is judging anyone here Tena. This is simple, a doctor is needed at ANY time, a matter of fact they made a pledge that says that they will be render their services to anyone who needs it, whether they have money or not, and at ANY time. I cannot say the same thing about a Football Player, or a Network Enginner. Your work is essential to the success of the Firm (but not necessarily means that they HAVE to have YOU working on a Sunday in order to be sucessful) know what I mean?. But a doctor, even if he doesn't work on a Sunday, maybe suddenly somebody may call him and he will have to run to save the life of somebody!. There is a HUGE step between a profession that helps save lives and others who are just meant for entertainment or data information. At least in my opinion, but again in my humble opinion, those who choose to work on a Sunday and they know they could avoid doing it but they don't want to look 'bad' with the boss, are doing wrong to themselves and to the Lord. The athletes who choose to work on a Sunday have the right to stand for what he/she thinks is the right thing to do, I'm not judging anybody because I'm not Mrs. Perfect but let's make something very clear. When the Lord speaks, he speaks Truth and clarity. When he said 'Keep the Sabbath Day Holy', he didn't add 'But all those who are athletles or sports managers, go ahead you can do it'. You're right, doctors also have that right of choosing to work on a Sunday or not...but like I said before, the pledge that they abide by sometimes do not allow it but again this is not the thread about doctors anyway. President Benson said that one of the reasons we don't purchase things on a Sunday is not only because we don't engage in business transactions on a Sunday but also because we do not colaborate with our money to those who are breaking the Sabbath Day.
We know what it means to Keep the Sabbath Day Holy, we know what kind of activities we should do. I don't fully understand what we are really discussing when the scriptures are so clear and the Prophets's voice said so too.

I feel it is o.k. to play sports on Sunday if this is your profession,

I think we should go back to thread 'The Prophet said so, is that enough?' because Pres. Benson and other Presidents of the Church have said that we should NOT engaged in sports activities on a Sunday, now, if they thought people who work as professional players could be the exception, I'm sure they will say so (just like they do when they have to say that certain professions like doctors, nurses, etc have no other alternative but work on a sunday and is also caring about the sick and afflicted) but I never heard about supporting players who choose to play on Sundays, I may be wrong, please provide me with some quotes of the Prophets who support this.

I do not go to sporting events on Sunday, yet I watch them on TV. My reasoning for this is that I am not conducting business by watching them on my set.

I am far from being a Molly Mormon wink.gif but really, if we listen the Prophet's word they have said in numerous ocassions we should not watch tv at all on Sundays. You see? sometimes as human beings we rationalize way too much, this is like this: It's sunday and you forgot to buy some chicken for dinner and you have some guests and you need to get some chicken because you don't have no food at home. You don't want to break the Sabbath by purchasing anything, then you think maybe your friend Mary can go and buy it for you, after all, she is not an LDS member. Mary brings the chicken for you and everybody is happy. But if you anylize it quickly, you just make somebody else sin for you and you also give your money to someone who is breaking the Sabbath!. Sometimes when we rationalize things, it is even worst because we want to 'enjoy' something even do, the Lord said 'Not today'.

Reconcile Edited: LDS_forever on 13th Mar, 2004 - 6:05pm

14th Mar, 2004 - 1:57am / Post ID: #

Sports Vs. Sabbath Studies Doctrine Mormon

LDS, you make some very good points. One note though, as a network engineer, my job doesn't require routine work on Sunday, but when a major network upgrade it done, it must be done off hours, beginning generally at 5:00 pm Friday and running right through Sunday. A good many professions require some occasional work on Sunday. I do everything I can to avoid working on Sunday, but sometimes I have no choice if I want to stay employed. Yes, this is different from being in a professon that requires me to work regularly on Sundays, or I think it is anyway.

I am far from being a Molly Mormon  but really, if we listen the Prophet's word they have said in numerous ocassions we should not watch tv at all on Sundays.

This is the first time I have heard this. Can you provide me with references. Most of the people I know watch TV, but try to be careful about what they watch. If the prophets have said don't watch, period, I would like to read this for myself because then I won't watch on Sundays.

14th Mar, 2004 - 6:32pm / Post ID: #

Page 3 Sabbath Vs Sports

Well, I don't know if I will have time to research for some quotes, but if I do, I will put it here.
Also, going back to the subject I found a site where talks about this issue and have some quotes about LDS athletes and their different ways they see about working on a Sunday. Here is some of them:

Los Angeles Clippers radio broadcaster and former NBA player Michael Smith: " I would love to be able to say that I can't work on Sundays. I think if I said that, they would hire somebody else. Am I wimp? Am I less than courageous? Am I lacking the faith that Nephi had? I think that at this point in my life, this is my profession. This is what provides for my family. I'm not in a position to choose"."

Former Duke Basketball player and recent college grad Matt Christensen: "Being required to play basketball on the Sabbath is something I've never been comfortable with. Now that basketball is over for me, I'll be glad to be able to observe the Sabbath in the way it should be observed"

Los Angeles Laker Mark Madsen: "This is, basically, an occupational decision that I've made. It's definitely not an ideal situation because we do have some Sunday games. I don't have a choice about that; I have to play in those games because that's my job. When we do have Sunday games, I make every effort to make it to as many church meetings as I can. (Playing on Sunday) is definitely something I don't recommend, but it's the profession I've chosen.

https://www.meridianmagazine.com/sports/020517sabbath.html

Reconcile Edited: LDS_forever on 14th Mar, 2004 - 6:34pm

Post Date: 20th Mar, 2004 - 7:01am / Post ID: #

Sports Vs. Sabbath
A Friend

Sabbath Vs Sports

We live in a world that treats Sunday as a Holiday. I'm sure in a perfect world, Sunday would be reserved to worship God and sports and other athletic events would take place the other six days of the week. I'm also sure that many LDS athletes would gladly take Sunday off if they were given the option from their employers.

But, why the focus on sports? My wife has reminded me more than once that I should not watch sports on Sunday. But she will go ahead and watch a movie, or a sitcom. Personally, I don't see the difference. Why is watching a sporting event any different than watching another non gospel related show? Sports in and of itself is not evil, it's just not focussing on the things of the spirit that we should be doing on Sunday. So, if we exclude sports from Sunday viewing, we should also exclude 60 Minutes, Malcom in the Middle, Simpsons, Academy Awards etc. Not that there is anything wrong with the content of these shows, but like sporting events, we are not focussing on spiritual matters.

Which brings up another issue. There are 24 hours every Sunday. We spend 3 hours in block meetings, maybe another hour in a specialized meeting, depending on your calling, so that leaves 20 hours. Now I enjoy reading the scriptures, pondering and praying, but not for 20 hours. The point I am trying to make is, there is room for other things on the Sabbath as long as you are not forgetting to take the time to draw closer to the Lord first.

Just don't go shopping, or take the boat to the lake or engage in any unnecessary work.

21st Mar, 2004 - 2:23am / Post ID: #

Sports Vs. Sabbath

But, why the focus on sports? My wife has reminded me more than once that I should not watch sports on Sunday. But she will go ahead and watch a movie, or a sitcom. Personally, I don't see the difference. Why is watching a sporting event any different than watching another non gospel related show? Sports in and of itself is not evil, it's just not focussing on the things of the spirit that we should be doing on Sunday. So, if we exclude sports from Sunday viewing, we should also exclude 60 Minutes, Malcom in the Middle, Simpsons, Academy Awards etc. Not that there is anything wrong with the content of these shows, but like sporting events, we are not focussing on spiritual matters.

Exactly, any kind of show that is not focus on Spiritual matters should be avoid on Sundays. To watch a football game or Malcom in the Middle is the same thing to me. Both are 'good' shows but not appropiate to watch it on the Sabbath.

Which brings up another issue. There are 24 hours every Sunday. We spend 3 hours in block meetings, maybe another hour in a specialized meeting, depending on your calling, so that leaves 20 hours. Now I enjoy reading the scriptures, pondering and praying, but not for 20 hours. The point I am trying to make is, there is room for other things on the Sabbath as long as you are not forgetting to take the time to draw closer to the Lord first.

No, no for 20 hours but I think most of us are not doing everything Heavenly Father is expecting us to do and if we just 'start' doing those things we will see that 24 hs once a week is not enough!....just some examples:

1. Visit the sick and the needy
2. Read our scriptures
3. Write our journals
4. Update our Book of Remembrances
5. Work in our Genealogy and prepare submission of names for the Temple
6. Prepare talks or lessons.
7. Prepare Family Home Evening lessons for the next day.

These are only some....more ideas? 101 LDS activities for the Sabbath:
https://lds.about.com/library/bl/faq/bl101sabbath.htm

Time to watch that football show on TV? Nah! wink.gif tongue.gif

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 16th May, 2004 - 4:33am / Post ID: #

Sports Vs. Sabbath
A Friend

Sports Vs. Sabbath - Page 3

I'm grateful for this topic and the many different perspectives offered in it.

I was recently wondering about this, because I really enjoy running and I set a goal to run a half-marathon in the fall. However, I set this goal before I realized that pretty much all marathons (and half-marathons) are run on Sundays in the early morning. I really don't know what to do about it yet, because I really had my heart set on accomplishing this race. I thought about even getting some sponsors for my run to raise money and then donate it as a service, but I know that dosen't necessarily make it ok. However, I have a lot of time to think about it and talk to my bishop about it.

Thanks for your comments!

16th May, 2004 - 9:28pm / Post ID: #

Sports Vs. Sabbath Mormon Doctrine Studies - Page 3

I really don't know what to do about it yet, because I really had my heart set on accomplishing this race

I understand, the only thing I can suggest you is to follow the commandment of keeping the Sabbath Day Holy first, I have no doubt that as long as you acomplish this, the Lord will bless you with other opportunities to run other days besides Sundays smile.gif

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 7  ...Latest (9) »

> TOPIC: Sports Vs. Sabbath

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,