Sports Vs. Sabbath - Page 5 of 9

AGene, would you mind posting the actual quotes - Page 5 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 20th May, 2004 - 6:17pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 

?
Poll: Is it okay to play sports on the sabbath?
  Yes       11.76%
  No       29.41%
  Under certain circumstances       58.82%
Total Votes: 17
Guests Cannot Vote - Join To Add Your Vote! 
When is it ok, not okay... is it okay?
20th May, 2004 - 3:11am / Post ID: #

Sports Vs. Sabbath - Page 5

Have we established beyond any doubt that watching sports on television on the Sabbath is a violation of the Sabbath? I know we have been discussing whether playing sports on the Sabbath is a violation and most of us agree that it is, but I don't think we have really established that having it on television is "against the rules." We are not commanded in all things and so members decide for themselves what is appropriate and what is not. Watching it on TV is not conducting business, but we have already mentioned how it could cause us to lose the special spirit we would like present on the Sabbath, but I am not sure that it really is "against the Sabbath rules." If I were in gaucho's shoes, I would have watched the game also. However, if they were watching an R rated movie I would not have stayed. My point is, we each need decide what we are willing to do, whether it be on the Sabbath or otherwise and then live those standards to the best of our ability always regardless of what others think.

Reconcile Edited: tenaheff on 20th May, 2004 - 3:13am

Sponsored Links:
20th May, 2004 - 3:22am / Post ID: #

Sabbath Vs Sports

If I were in gaucho's shoes, I would have watched the game also.

I do not understand that concept, let's say that it was not even Sunday, so that is not an issue, you are there as a representative of the Lord, to visit the sick and weary... think about it this way, would Christ have walked in and sat and watched the game? Now let us bring back the element of the Sabbath... AGene was very correct in her example, and I would say that it also falls in line with what I was saying too, rather than find excuses to do other that what we are supposed to, why not allow for the lesser to be done on another day - remember Martha and Mary, why did Christ say one had chosen the better part?

Post Date: 20th May, 2004 - 4:08am / Post ID: #

Sports Vs. Sabbath
A Friend

Sports Vs. Sabbath Studies Doctrine Mormon

Eternal Laws of Happiness

Lynn A. Mickelsen, "Eternal Laws of Happiness," Ensign, Nov. 1995, 78

4. Thou shalt honor the Sabbath day to keep it holy. Teach your children to set apart one-seventh of their time to learn of Him, to take their minds from the burdens of daily work, and to remember Him. As we dedicate this time to Him, it concentrates our hearts and our minds on the real purpose of our existence and takes us out of the world. It is a day to become as He is, to worship Him, and to minister to others as He did. We don't need rules for the Sabbath day when we understand and live its purpose.

We Are Christians Because ...

Robert E. Wells, "We Are Christians Because "¦ ," Ensign, Jan. 1984, 17

4. We are Christians because we keep the Christian Sabbath day holy. (See Ex. 20:8-11.) And we strive to keep it holy all day long, not just while in church. We are opposed to any desecration of the Lord's day, be it sports, public entertainment, hunting and fishing, working, or other such activities. Sunday is for us a day of worship, a day of rest, a time to study, an opportunity to visit the sick, and should not be given to things that can be accomplished on other days of the week; nor should it be a day of buying, selling, negotiating, or participating in other commercial transactions.

Post Date: 20th May, 2004 - 4:10am / Post ID: #

Sports Vs. Sabbath
A Friend

Page 5 Sabbath Vs Sports

QUOTE (AGene @ 20-May 04, 2:56 AM)
Gaucho, in your intro post you say that you are a returned Missionary. When you went into peoples home, members and non-members alike, and they had a radio, stereo or tv playing, did you not ask them to either turn them way down or to turn them off? It is the same thing when you go and do your Home Teaching. If, after you request that they turn it down or off and they refuse and you do not leave, then you have just showed them that your commitment to your faith is not very strong.

Keep in mind, this was not home teaching. We were dropping by a home of a family we had never met, uninvited, to see if we could get to know them. This couple had not set foot in an LDS church in 10 years. Visiting during the week was not an option due to work committments. We knock on the door, introduce ourselves and ask if we could visit for a minute. The man says, sure come on in as long as you don't mind watching the baseball game with us.

In my mind, to come into their home and say you have to turn your tv off because today is the Sabbath is not what the Saviour would have done. Sounds more like what the Pharisies would have done. I believe Christ would have accepted their terms. His life is full of actions that were condemmed by the true church members of his day.

Are there really those here who would have told them to turn their tv off in their own home? Or anyone who would have said, no we will not come into your home if you have the game on?

Post Date: 20th May, 2004 - 4:37am / Post ID: #

Sports Vs. Sabbath
A Friend

Sabbath Vs Sports

QUOTE (gaucho @ 17-May 04, 1:49 PM)
So now, I am thinking.....whenever there is a big game I want to watch I can go visit an inactive member, preferably one who is a sports fan and I'll be magnifying my church calling, as well as catching the game.

magnifying my church calling, as well as catching the game.?????
To me, this is making light of your calling. You are putting sports ahead of spirituality.

We were dropping by a home of a family we had never met, uninvited, to see if we could get to know them.

You and the High Priest Group Leader were still representing the Church, and as you said in the above quote: I'll be magnifying my church calling, as well as catching the game.

Are there really those here who would have told them to turn their tv off in their own home? Or anyone who would have said, no we will not come into your home if you have the game on?

The man says, sure come on in as long as you don't mind watching the baseball game with us. Since you did mention it, we do mind. Perhaps we could come by after the game is over, would that be all right with you?

Tena in answer to you:
Have we established beyond any doubt that watching sports on television on the Sabbath is a violation of the Sabbath?

I have already posted a response to that. YES it has been established. To list just four references, with only one of them being scripture. I will let someone else list all the scriptures.

Each and everyone of these came from lds.org gospel library.

Ezra Taft Benson, "Keeping the Sabbath Day Holy," Ensign, May 1971, 4

"Hold Fast to the Iron Rod" President Spencer W. Kimball Saturday morning session September 30, 1978

(D&C 59:13)

Resolutions by Joe J. Christensen, "Resolutions," Ensign, Dec. 1994, 62

Post Date: 20th May, 2004 - 5:35pm / Post ID: #

Sports Vs. Sabbath
A Friend

Sports Vs. Sabbath

QUOTE (AGene @ 20-May 04, 4:37 AM)

magnifying my church calling, as well as catching the game.????? 
To me, this is making light of your calling.  You are putting sports ahead of spirituality.

Catching the game was just a by product of serving the Lord by visiting his lost sheep. You have to remember that people are at different spiritaul levels and we were guests in their home, not the other way around. We accomplished a lot in that 30 minute visit. We learned all about their family, grandkids etc. We learned about some health issues, their concerns and trials etc. We got them to agree to receive Home and Visiting Teachers. The game kind of got lost with all the other discussion going on.

I think it would have been a very self righeous attitude to tell them, no we will not visit you in your home unless you agree to our terms, even though you are the Patriarch of your home. The opportunity to save souls comes at times you might not be aware of and in situations you might not realize. Had we turned down their offer, the opportunity might have been lost for a long time.

Fast forward many years from now...you are in an interview with the Saviour and he asks why you didn't feed his sheep. Your reply is, well, Lord, they had a game on tv and it was the Sabbath and I wasn't going to lower my standards and enter a home with a sports program on when I'm striving to keep the Sabbath Day Holy. I think the Lord would say he is familiar with that attitude. It was very present among the Jews when he came and dwelt with them. You seemed more concerned with how this will affect you and not how you can affect someone else. But you should have known better, you were my representative and were on my errand.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
20th May, 2004 - 5:41pm / Post ID: #

Sports Vs. Sabbath - Page 5

Gaucho, stop, neither AGene or myself have expressed what you are implying in your post. You are seeing this from one perspective only and keep changing the lines to defend what you said earlier. It is your view though, no one can change that.

20th May, 2004 - 6:17pm / Post ID: #

Sports Vs. Sabbath Mormon Doctrine Studies - Page 5

AGene, would you mind posting the actual quotes to which you are referring? I looked up the first article mentioned and scanned it, but do not see as obvious your reference. I don't have time to read all of these articles in their entirety but if you could post the specific quote, I could then consider them and check for them in context of the articles because I am not yet convinced that watching sports on television breaks the Sabbath. I do accept that attending an actual sporting event and participating in them for recreational purposes does. Symantecs you might say, but I do think there is a difference.

To me, just because someone says it doesn't necessarily make it doctrine. If my prophet says specifically no one should watch sports on television, that is hard to dispute, but if a member of the seventy gives a talk where they say we shouldn't do it, it may be no more than their interpretation of what honoring the sabbath means.

Reconcile Edited: tenaheff on 20th May, 2004 - 6:24pm

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 

> TOPIC: Sports Vs. Sabbath

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,