Sports Vs. Sabbath - Page 7 of 9

What a nice story. I'm glad the children - Page 7 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 4th Dec, 2004 - 3:46pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  « First of 9 pgs.  3 4 5 6 7 8 9 

?
Poll: Is it okay to play sports on the sabbath?
  Yes       11.76%
  No       29.41%
  Under certain circumstances       58.82%
Total Votes: 17
Guests Cannot Vote - Join To Add Your Vote! 
When is it ok, not okay... is it okay?
21st May, 2004 - 10:18pm / Post ID: #

Sports Vs. Sabbath - Page 7

All choices are personal wink.gif Now, let us end this rant on poor Gaucho and let me bring another aspect into this so it does not turn into a home teaching thread...

Let us evaluate... when is the Sabbath? Is it exactly 12:01AM Sunday to 11:59PM Sunday? Can it be that a person can wait till exactly 12:00AM Monday and then be free to do non-Sabbath activities and 'feel' safe? How letter of the law is it? In the days of the Jews it is sun down Friday into Saturday sun down.

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 21st May, 2004 - 11:01pm / Post ID: #

Sports Vs. Sabbath
A Friend

Sabbath Vs Sports

international QUOTE (JB@Trinidad @ 21-May 04, 10:18 PM)
Let us evaluate… when is the Sabbath? Is it exactly 12:01AM Sunday to 11:59PM Sunday? Can it be that a person can wait till exactly 12:00AM Monday and then be free to do non-Sabbath activities and 'feel' safe? How letter of the law is it? In the days of the Jews it is sun down Friday into Saturday sun down.

I'm dealing with this a little bit at work right now. As backround information, I work for a major airline. My responsability is with customer retention, trying to win back customers who have left us, or those threatening to leave us due to service failures. I also am specifically assigned to handle discrimination issues.

Yesterday, we cancelled a flight. Not unusual in this industry due to the safety oriented nature of air travel. Well, we have a passenger that we rebooked on a flight today. Only problem is, his flight arrives after sundown tonight, Friday and he is Jewish. He declined this rebooking due to his religion prohibits travel on the Sabbath, which for him is starting about right now. Our personnel pretty much said sorry, take it or leave it. He now is claiming discrimination and I have to call him to try and work this out to his satisfaction. I'll let you know how it goes.

By the way, my definition of the Sabbath is the 24 hour calender day of Sunday. But I don't think we need to get too critical. I remember once BYU had a late game Saturday night that went past midnight. I don't think anybody cared.

21st May, 2004 - 11:11pm / Post ID: #

Sports Vs. Sabbath Studies Doctrine Mormon

I think the same way (If something runs a bit over then - oh well) and would add that a lot of planning for the Sabbath is necessary to keep the day special and free from unnecessary work.

21st May, 2004 - 11:21pm / Post ID: #

Page 7 Sabbath Vs Sports

Since I am not one to stay up late, this really hasn't been an issue for me. I go to sleep before midnight on Saturday so when I wake up in the morning is when the Sabbath begins for me. Then when I go back to bed that night, it ends.

However, I think if I were out at an event for some reason on Saturday night and it went past mid-night, I would not worry about it. I think I still consider the Sabbath to begin when I get up on Sunday morning since this would be the start of my new day.

22nd May, 2004 - 2:24am / Post ID: #

Sabbath Vs Sports

I believe the Sabbath to be Sunday. Starting from 12:00 to 12:00, not only Sunday afternoon but all day.

Post Date: 12th Jul, 2004 - 3:34pm / Post ID: #

Sports Vs. Sabbath

Added as a personal testimony with regards to playing sports on the Sabbath.

international QUOTE
A SABBATH STAND

Golfer Johnny Miller once said he'd love to be leading the U.S. Open or a similar tournament going into the final day and then tell everyone he wasn't going to play on Sunday because of his beliefs.
Source

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 4th Dec, 2004 - 2:22am / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

Sports Vs. Sabbath - Page 7

FOOTBALL TEAM SITS OUT SUNDAY CHAMPIONSHIP GAME
See Source

FONTANA, California - A youth football team has voted to forfeit its championship game because it falls on Sunday and many members of the team will be in church.
Church member Chad Edginton, who coaches the team, said the players chose to sit out the game. "This started with us together, and it's ending with us together," said player Tiwayne Norwood.

4th Dec, 2004 - 3:46pm / Post ID: #

Sports Vs. Sabbath Mormon Doctrine Studies - Page 7

What a nice story. I'm glad the children decide this from the begining, even though I'm sure it has been very hard for them, to stand for what they believe to be true is wonderful and I'm sure this experience will never be forgotten.

+  « First of 9 pgs.  3 4 5 6 7 8 9 

> TOPIC: Sports Vs. Sabbath

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,