Sports Vs. Sabbath - Page 8 of 9

Heavenly Father created the Sabbath for a - Page 8 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 10th Apr, 2013 - 1:18pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  « First of 9 pgs.  4 5 6 7 8 9 

?
Poll: Is it okay to play sports on the sabbath?
  Yes       11.76%
  No       29.41%
  Under certain circumstances       58.82%
Total Votes: 17
Guests Cannot Vote - Join To Add Your Vote! 
When is it ok, not okay... is it okay?
Post Date: 21st Dec, 2004 - 5:25pm / Post ID: #

Sports Vs. Sabbath
A Friend

Sports Vs. Sabbath - Page 8

I have a tough decision to make shortly. I got a call from the local blood bank requesting a blood donation. I do give regularly and told them I would give at work. They said they are really in need right now and are offering two free tickets to a Phoenix Suns NBA game for everyone who comes down and donates. So, being a big fan, I went down last Saturday and donated. I was given a voucher and there are about 8 games to choose from. Six of the eight are on Sunday. The two not on Sunday will not work with my schedule. One is the night of our family Christmas party and the other is after my son returns to college. I originally decided to just go to one of the Sunday games, after all it is after church and my son will soon be leaving on a mission and won't be around to share this experience with me. But then I started feeling guilty about the example I'm setting. The only other option is to take my wife to the one remaining non Sunday game. She's not a sports fan at all but would enjoy going anyway. So that's where I'm leaning to now, any thoughts?

Sponsored Links:
24th Aug, 2008 - 10:14pm / Post ID: #

Sabbath Vs Sports

I thought I would bring up this Topic again because of the Olympics. Here are some questions... maybe the answers are the same:

1. Is watching the Olympics on the Sabbath breaking it?
2. Are Olympians breaking the Sabbath by participating in it?

You can see who is participating here: Source 1

25th Aug, 2008 - 6:42am / Post ID: #

Sports Vs. Sabbath Studies Doctrine Mormon

In reading through this thread I was reminded time and again of the Pharisees who condemned the Savior for "Working" on the Sabbath day because he healed the sick and ministered to the needy. In their Jewish law one was not to do anything on the Sabbath.

international QUOTE
Matt. 12: 1-2, 5, 8, 10-12
  1 At that time Jesus went on the asabbath day through the bcorn; and his disciples were an hungred, and began to pluck the cears of corn, and to eat.
  2 But when the Pharisees saw it, they said unto him, Behold, thy disciples do that which is not lawful to do upon the sabbath day.

5 Or have ye not read in the law, how that on the asabbath days the priests in the temple profane the sabbath, and are blameless?

8 For the Son of man is Lord even of the asabbath day.

10 ¶ And, behold, there was a man which had his hand withered. And they asked him, saying, Is it lawful to heal on the sabbath days? That they might accuse him.
  11 And he said unto them, What man shall there be among you, that shall have one sheep, and if it fall into a pit on the sabbath day, will he not lay hold on it, and lift it out?
  12 How much then is a man better than a sheep? Wherefore it is lawful to do well on the sabbath days.

international QUOTE

John 9: 14, 16
  14 And it was the sabbath day when Jesus made the clay, and  opened his eyes.

16 Therefore said some of the Pharisees, This man is not of God, because he keepeth not the sabbath day. Others said, How can a man that is a sinner do such miracles? And there was a division among them.

Do we live by the letter of the law or the spirit of the law? I think each person has to work this out for themselves with the Lord's input. That said, I was always taught, If the ox is in the mire you go get it out rather than let it die just because it is the Sabbath. However, I do believe we will each be held accountable for our choices. It is a precept upon precept kind of thing. We are all at different places in our spiritual growth and will be judged accordingly, not based upon the spiritual prowess of others.
I know I should not participate in sports on Sunday and so I do not. Should I forsake all television on Sunday? Probably. But I am not there yet. I also wonder, if all Sunday television viewing is wrong why does the Church have Sunday programming on KBYU? I do not think it is wrong to watch appropriate programming on Sundays. Perhaps not even wrong to watch a wholesome movie or whatever. However, there are other pursuits that would be more appropriate that would contribute to my spiritual growth and most likely serve others in the process. These are the things we should aspire to. I try to keep the Sabbath day holy but I could do better. As I progress spiritually I am sure I will do better.

As for the Olympic athletes, I do not believe they will be counted as sinners for participating in their Sunday events. I do think they would be blessed if they took a stand not to. Are they keeping the day holy? I do not know what else they are doing to really make a judgment on this. This life is about the choices we make. Some choices are better than others but not necessarily wrong. The better choices bring greater blessings.

Post Date: 18th Apr, 2010 - 8:08pm / Post ID: #

Page 8 Sabbath Vs Sports

Name: JONNY

Comments: I am in the situation where I am the only Christian in the group of 15 or so men I play golf with.

I have been invited to play in an interclub match which occurs on a Sunday.

I feel that it is right for me to play in the match and through that be an Ambassador for Christ to those guys, but my wife says that attending church with her and my son is more important than those guys, even if it is only 1 Sunday out of 52!

Has anyone any experience in this area?

18th Apr, 2010 - 8:35pm / Post ID: #

Sabbath Vs Sports

Hi Jonny, of course is a very personal decision that only you can make but since this is not a life-death situation or even a job on a Sunday that will allow you to provide for your family, then why would you break the Sabbath?

Being an Ambassador for Christ for me means to try to follow what he taught and let others see that and I think sanctifying the Sabbath is one of them. In my opinion, whether is 1 out of 52 or 100 makes no difference really, it's irrelevant.

You also have to take into consideration the views of your wife who seems very strong about you attending Church as a family and keeping the Sabbath day holy. As your helpmate, she can also inspire you to do the right thing. Just my two cents.

Post Date: 5th Dec, 2011 - 12:20pm / Post ID: #

Sports Vs. Sabbath

Name: Bill

Comments: The way it works in my ward is if the game is a regular season then you shouldn't be watching it but if its a final or the game of the year then its fine to watch on the Sabbath.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
4th Feb, 2013 - 1:13am / Post ID: #

Sports Vs. Sabbath - Page 8

It's the Mormon Sabbath day today, Sunday. I wonder how many are still glued to the Super Bowl regardless? wink.gif

10th Apr, 2013 - 1:18pm / Post ID: #

Sports Vs. Sabbath Mormon Doctrine Studies - Page 8

Heavenly Father created the Sabbath for a purpose. It is our day of rest and reflection. However, there are people that must work such as doctors and firefighters and I don't think the Lord condemns them.

+  « First of 9 pgs.  4 5 6 7 8 9 

> TOPIC: Sports Vs. Sabbath

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,