Sports Vs. Sabbath - Page 2 of 9

I will not mention the Sports part again, - Page 2 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 12th Mar, 2004 - 7:00pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 6  ...Latest (9) »

?
Poll: Is it okay to play sports on the sabbath?
  Yes       11.76%
  No       29.41%
  Under certain circumstances       58.82%
Total Votes: 17
Guests Cannot Vote - Join To Add Your Vote! 
When is it ok, not okay... is it okay?
11th Mar, 2004 - 10:50pm / Post ID: #

Sports Vs. Sabbath - Page 2

There seems to be varied opinions here about this subject... perhaps because there has not been a more 'forceful', wait, that is too strong a word, more 'direct' talks given about it. Here are a couple of points...

Even though being an athlete is work, remember it is the kind of work that you choose to do. So in other words... there are consequences. In effect think about it... because someone may have the 'excuse' to work on Sunday because of the requirement of employment it is also an 'excuse' to not observe the Sabbath or in other words... think of the blessing that are lost or not gained by working on the Sabbath. No one can convince me that working on the Sabbath can be more or just as productive as someone that does not work on the Sabbath. Now we could go into how we can keep the Sabbath holy, but that is not the point of this thread. The whole reason this question is raised is because of the point most are missing... when you indulge in Sporting activities (wether it be as a participant or spectator) your emotions will be heightened, you will become focused on the game (thus forgetting other important issues of the day), and you will cause others to work... others you say? Sure, a game does not happen without transport, radio and television coverage, people sell food and drinks, clean the toilets, etc.

Lastly, it is a personal choice, one that we will answer to the Lord for, but I am quite certain that if we were to bring someone from the olden days to see how we keep the Sabbath then that person may utter, 'Sodom befall thee'.

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 12th Mar, 2004 - 12:00am / Post ID: #

Sports Vs. Sabbath
A Friend

Sabbath Vs Sports

I grew up in a farming community. One of my bishops had a dairy. The stake patriarch raised cows. Many good members of the church choose to raise animals for their livelihood. Yes this means that they have to work on Sunday (can not skip milking a cow just because it is Sunday), they do what they have to do. That is what they know and enjoy and it is the best way they know to earn a living. Just as some athletes. That is what they are best at and the best way for them to earn a living.

12th Mar, 2004 - 12:12am / Post ID: #

Sports Vs. Sabbath Studies Doctrine Mormon

Zephyr I am not sure what your point is really nor do I see how that relates to watching Sports on Sunday. Again you make a comparison to a necessity (feeding animals) with something that is not a necessity (playing sports). One has to be done, the other even if you are good at it, does not have to be done... A man will not go hungry because he missed a ball game if he can read, write or use his muscles.

I like this scenario... John the football star says to his little nine year old daughter on Sunday, 'Sorry can't be in Church, do any of my priesthood duties, can't accept a calling as I have to go play ball... and by the way, make sure not to come watch, because that would be breaking the Sabbath'.

So far I am getting all the excuses, but nothing doctrinal or scriptural to support the case for favoring working in these situations on the Sabbath.

12th Mar, 2004 - 5:19pm / Post ID: #

Page 2 Sabbath Vs Sports

Even though being an athlete is work, remember it is the kind of work that you choose to do.

Well, with this line or reasoning then LDS members shouldn't choose to be doctors either? If you are a doctor, you will have to work on Sunday, but the choice to be a doctor or not seems to me to be a choice just like choosing to be an athlete or not. I have difficulty with people rationalizing that it is o.k. for one occupation, but not another.

Perhaps member athletes go to work, but take measures on another day, like Saturday or Monday, to focus on the Lord. In Israel, LDS members hold their sabbath worship on Saturday not Sunday because Sunday is a regular workday in Israel.

Spencer W. Kimball said:
It is true that some people must work on the Sabbath. And, in fact, some of the work that is truly necessary-caring for the sick, for example-may actually serve to hallow the Sabbath. However, in such activities our motives are a most important consideration.

When men and women are willing to work on the Sabbath to increase their wealth, they are breaking the commandments; for money taken in on the Sabbath, if the work is unnecessary, is unclean money. Can you imagine a person laboring on the Sabbath in defiance of the Lord's command, and then bringing a tithe or other portion of the ill-gained fruits of this labor to Him as an offering? Just as in Old Testament times, offerings presented to the Lord must be "without blemish," and unnecessary Sabbath-day earnings can never be such.

First Presidency Message
The Sabbath-
A Delight
By President Spencer W. Kimball

Spencer W. Kimball, "The Sabbath-A Delight," Tambuli, July 1978, 1

Which does not support my position, but still it is the word of a prophet.

As far as whether or not it is o.k. to watch sports, I believe President Hinckley has encouraged us not to go to sporting events on Sunday, but I can't find that source right now.

I do think, however, that it is more important that we focus on the Lord on the Sabbath than that we focus on specifics regarding what is o.k. to do and what is not. If we do our best to ensure that we make the Sabbath day unique from other days, and endeavor earnestly to keep it as a restful, holy day, we will be keeping what I believe is the most important part of any law...that being the spirit of the law rather than the letter of the law.

Reconcile Edited: tenaheff on 12th Mar, 2004 - 5:22pm

12th Mar, 2004 - 5:45pm / Post ID: #

Sabbath Vs Sports

Well, with this line or reasoning then LDS members shouldn't choose to be doctors either?

When you choose to be a Doctor, you choose to save lives, not make baskets or goals. To me there is a big difference. Actually that quote you gave Tenaheff actually reinforces what I am saying... one is just getting money and the other you are really caring for the sick.and needy. If you are a police officer you are protecting the people, a big difference again than just being a star player. Alas, we can see why we are not asked as one of the interview questions... 'Do you keep the Sabbath Holy', but instead... 'Do you strive to attend Sacrament and Priesthood meetings'? I believe it is worded like that for a reason. Plus notice... it does not say 'Relief Society' meetings which shows the vital need of the priesthood to gather in their quorums.

12th Mar, 2004 - 6:27pm / Post ID: #

Sports Vs. Sabbath

Well, with this line or reasoning then LDS members shouldn't choose to be doctors either? If you are a doctor, you will have to work on Sunday, but the choice to be a doctor or not seems to me to be a choice just like choosing to be an athlete or not. I have difficulty with people rationalizing that it is o.k. for one occupation, but not another.

This is not rationalizing, this is plain common sense. There are occupations that is obvious will need to take place in ANY day, including the Sabbath, doctors, nurses, police officers, etc. These people MUST work to save lives and protect us. They have NO choice and the Lord understand that (After all, didn't the Savior heal the sick and afflicted during the Sabbath?) but a guy who is playing basketball on a Sunday (an activity totally UNNECCESARY in the sense of assisting the needy or sick, or an emergeny) but just a bunch of fans shouting and screaming at their favourite team, it seems to me like a fun activity than a 'service' type of job. Before signing the contract they know beforehand whether they will 'work' on sundays or not, that's why I said on my first post, we know what the Lord has said "Keep the Sabbath Day Holy' whoever chooses to do other things in that day, are free to do so but believe me, a doctor who is saving a baby from dying on the Sabbath Day and a baskteball player who makes 90 points for his team on the Sabbath to pass to the second round, will have the same kind of judgement about keeping the Sabbath Day Holy?. I don't think so.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
12th Mar, 2004 - 6:46pm / Post ID: #

Sports Vs. Sabbath - Page 2

Well, I knew my post reinforced what JB was saying. I posted it because I felt it was the honest thing to do once I came across it. I don't know that I agree with it.

As far as LDS's point about those important jobs, someone else could do them other than LDS members. If I were to choose an occupation and wanted to be sure I didn't have to work on Sunday because I felt it was important to honor the sabbath, then I wouldn't choose to be a doctor any more than I would choose to be a football player.

What about the fact that the athlete has been given a talent or special gift. Do they not have a responsibility to develop that talent to it's utmost?

What about my job as a network engineer? Should I pick a different career because I sometimes am required to work on Sunday? My only point for asking this is that we can easily judge an athlete and say it is just a game and so they should choose to do some other work rather than one that requires them to work on Sunday, but what about Computer Network Engineers? I am not saving anyone's life, but my computer network is essential to the success of the Firm for which I work. I just don't like to rationalize why it is o.k. for one to work, but not another. If the football player should choose another career other than football to avoid Sunday work, then so should the Network Engineer and so should the doctor, etc.

Another consideration - It is possible that the football player has no other skill or means to earn a living. Maybe that is the only talent they have. A number of professional athletes come from family environments where education hasn't exactly been a priority and they may be from financial situations where college isn't likely. So, if they develop their talent as football players. They make a good living, move out of the ghetto, raise their families in better finacial circumstance, which breaks the cycle of poverty and allows their children to go to college and pick a more acceptable career. If they don't develop their football ability, they can work for minimum wage at the corner store and continue to live in poverty with their families, and so on.

12th Mar, 2004 - 7:00pm / Post ID: #

Sports Vs. Sabbath Mormon Doctrine Studies - Page 2

I will not mention the Sports part again, I feel like I am flogging a dead horse. No one is judging here... my interest in this is a personal surprise at how many justify sports and sporting activities on the Sabbath. Some of the users here are saying that watching it is okay. They are also implying that because a member has to do this as work it somehow gives more credibility to them also watching. Now as I said before and will say again... to each his own and we will be judged for our own 'rationalization' of this, but it is necessary to understand their is a difference between exceptions and doing.

+  1 2 3 4 5 6  ...Latest (9) »

> TOPIC: Sports Vs. Sabbath

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,