Martha Stewart - Page 2 of 8

Martha was very lucky to only get 5 months - Page 2 - Politics, Business, Civil, History - Posted: 16th Jul, 2004 - 6:51pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 6  ...Latest (8) »
When the rich cannot get enough...
13th Mar, 2004 - 3:28pm / Post ID: #

Martha Stewart - Page 2

she has gone to a court of law and has been found guilt, so the next thing... will she actually go to jail? Has sentence been pronounced already or are there going to be a barrage of appeals?
Yep, she's already announced that she will be cleared on appeal smile.gif I doubt, even if the conviction stands, that she will actually serve time in jail -- pay a fine, community service, probation, blah blah blah, but no jail time.

When we go before a jury in this country, it's supposed to be formed by a group of our "peers" -- people equal to us. How many people on that jury were anywhere near being a "peer" of Martha Stewart? I'm sure not one of them even heard of the name "Imclone" before this happened, and I'll bet not many of them even own stock. Did Martha even know that the information she got was not appropriate to act on? She may have been acting on advice she thought was legitimate -- one of the quotes from testimony that is attributed to her was "isn't it great to have a stockbroker tell you these things?" Her crime was to follow advice from someone she trusted.

In my opinion, of course.
Roz

International Level: Ambassador / Political Participation: 595 ActivistPoliticianAmbassador 59.5%

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 13th Mar, 2004 - 4:15pm / Post ID: #

Martha Stewart
A Friend

Stewart Martha

This woman is a multi millionaire, she is FAR from stupid or naive. In my opinion, she knew exactly what she was doing at the time she was doing it.

...one of the quotes from testimony that is attributed to her was "isn't it great to have a stockbroker tell you these things?"

This is a great line to say to get the desired effect. From the things I have heard and read about her,in the past, she has never trusted anyone but herself!

Why shouldn't she go to jail? Just because she has money? The Helmsley Hotel owner, Roberta (?) Helmsley went to prison for her crimes and she had more money than Martha.
IMHO.
AGene

14th Mar, 2004 - 2:50am / Post ID: #

Martha Stewart History & Civil Business Politics

I need to humbly change my original stance on this issue...

It occurred to me today that Martha used to actually BE a stockbroker before she became Miss It's a Good Thing. So, yes, she knew exactly what was happening. Guilty.

Roz

International Level: Ambassador / Political Participation: 595 ActivistPoliticianAmbassador 59.5%

Post Date: 14th Mar, 2004 - 10:19pm / Post ID: #

Martha Stewart
A Friend

Page 2 Stewart Martha

okay, i ain't no Martha Stewart fan, but consider the following

lets say all of yuo own stocks in a company, say Biopure (BPUR) and yuo've been holding them for a while

lets say yuo get a tip from the Car Key Boi that Biopure have been submitting false test data while trying to get FDA approval for a major product, and this news is gonna hit market by the end of the week

what are YUO, as stockholders, gonna do?

are yuo gonna sell yuor stock before the doggy poop hits the fan?, or are yuo gonna hold onto it and watch the value crash?

-Car Key Boi,
expert on human nature, D N T)

14th Mar, 2004 - 10:49pm / Post ID: #

Stewart Martha

This is (one of the things) what gets me about the whole stock market scenario -- you, as a stockbroker or some other person who is an "insider" to that knowledge, are prohibited by law from giving me the tip, and I'm prohibited by law from acting on it. Even though it results in a personal loss to me or to you.

15th Mar, 2004 - 12:24am / Post ID: #

Martha Stewart

I understand why you should be prohibited from passing along the tip, but if you do, then I think it shouldn't be wrong for me to act on it. Of course I will act on it. You should be severely punished for passing the tip. If you don't pass the tips, I have no conflict because I wouldn't know anything that isn't available to the general public.

By the way, Martha was not charged or found guilty of insider trading. That is not what happened because in this case, she was not an insider.

International Level: Diplomat / Political Participation: 320 ActivistPoliticianDiplomat 32%

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 16th Jul, 2004 - 4:44pm / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

Martha Stewart - Page 2

According to CNN:

Martha Stewart sentenced to five months in prison and two years probation.

16th Jul, 2004 - 6:51pm / Post ID: #

Martha Stewart Politics Business Civil & History - Page 2

Martha was very lucky to only get 5 months when a 10-16 month sentence was more likely and justified. The judge even admitted that she was being very lenient in choosing such a short term for her. Along with the prison term, she will have 2 years of probation (including 5 months of home detention) and a $30000 fine. I think this was fair under the circumstances.

International Level: Envoy / Political Participation: 241 ActivistPoliticianEnvoy 24.1%

+  1 2 3 4 5 6  ...Latest (8) »

> TOPIC: Martha Stewart

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,