Nygaard / Norway Genealogy

Nygaard / Norway Genealogy - Culture, Family, Travel, Consumer Reviews - Posted: 14th Aug, 2004 - 1:42am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

Post Date: 7th Mar, 2004 - 6:40am / Post ID: #

A Friend

My fathers surname is Nygaard. His parents arrived on Ellis Island on 6 Feb. 1907. On board the Oscar II out of Oslo, Norway. From the ships manifest I got this information: Kristian Nygaard(B.22 Jun 1877-Honefoss,Buskerod,Norway) with his wife Ellen(Christianson b. 26 Apr 1878- Hedemark,Kristians,Norway) and their son Arnt were travelling with Kristian's two brothers, Abraham and Karl. (They used the surname Toverud)

From Abrahams daughter Alpha: Abrahams mother is Kari Halvorsdotter Kjorum b. 2 Aug 1838 Honefoss, Norway. Kari's father- Halvor Kjorum of Valdre, Norway. Alpha got this information from the back of Kari and Andrea's wedding picture.

Kristian's father's name is Andreas HANSEN

I have no other information on my fathers ancestors. I don't even know how to go about getting information. We think that my grandfather's youngest brother Karl returned to Norway and lived his life out there. There were two more brothers, Hans and Halvard who immigrated to Australia/New Zealand when they were in their teens/twenties. We have pictures of them taken in Iowa when they were in their early 30's, and family lore states that they made good in Australia and New Zealand and travelled between Norway, the US, Australia and New Zealand for several years.

I have a letter that is written in Norwegian that I have not been able to get translated. I know that it tells of a death.

I sure would appreciate any help I can get. smile.gif

Sponsored Links:
13th Aug, 2004 - 11:57pm / Post ID: #

Genealogy Norway Nygaard

Any relation to Kristen Nygaard one of the old heads of computer programming?

Post Date: 14th Aug, 2004 - 1:42am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Nygaard / Norway Genealogy Reviews Consumer & Travel Family Culture

I don't know JB. On that side of the family I have very little information. For all my life we only heard that Dad had three brothers and that his father had three brothers.

Than I stumbled onto a descendent of Grandpa's brother. From that one person I found out that Grandpa had 8 brothers. Three were triplets and died shortly after birth. (Actually we are assuming they are males) The two oldest immigrated to Australia and New Zealand. The youngest remained in Norway. Grandpa and his brothers Abraham and Martin came to the US. Martin had 9 children. The youngest were twin girls and they are the only ones alive now. Two of the nine died in childhood. The eldest, a daughter, married twice and had 14 children total. Just in Martins line alone there are 10 sets of twins. The information I have gives names and birth years. No gender on most of them. Abraham had two children. His wife died due to massive burns received when a kerosene stove exploded. He was so distraught that he adopted his two children out. A daughter Alpha lived to adulthood. She married and had children. I just recently received her handwritten biography (I was in tears most of the time reading it, she was a loved and wanted child). His son Clarence died at 18, unmarried. No one seems to have anymore information on Abraham. Nor have I been able to get more detailed information from Martins descendants. I have been corresponding with one of The Old Twins, Martins daughters, she only has stories that her Mother used to tell. She said that her father was very silent about his family. Had to run in the family ~ My father was silent about his family too!

So, to answer your question, he could be related. The only Kristian Nygaard I know is my baby brother. smile.gif He is 46, divorced, father of 4, lives in Seattle and doesn't really like computers.

> TOPIC: Nygaard / Norway Genealogy

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,