Mormons Dealing With Temptation - Page 2 of 3

Not sure. If the person has an addiction means - Page 2 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 6th Apr, 2014 - 9:53pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 
Post Date: 1st Nov, 2006 - 5:16am / Post ID: #

Mormons Dealing With Temptation - Page 2

"Have you noticed how Satan works to capture the mind and emotions with flashing images, blaring music, and the stimulation of every physical sense to excess? He diligently strives to fill life with action, entertainment, and stimulation so that one cannot ponder the consequences of his tempting
invitations."

-- Richard G. Scott, "How to Live Well amid Increasing Evil," Ensign, May 2004, 102

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 1st Nov, 2006 - 4:39pm / Post ID: #

Mormons Dealing With Temptation
A Friend

Temptation Dealing Mormons

Because Satan was with us in the pre-mortal existence, he knows us. He knows us well. So well that he is able push the right buttons.
He can bruise our heels, but we can crush his head.

1st Nov, 2006 - 4:56pm / Post ID: #

Mormons Dealing With Temptation Studies Doctrine Mormon

QUOTE (Superme)
He can bruise our heels, but we can crush his head.

Interesting that you should use that. I would like to show an illustrated point... imagine that you are in combat and someone hits your heel (very difficult, but possible), then they have hit a very vulnerable spot and can send you to the ground. This spot has been made famous by the Greek Mythology: Achilles Heel.

Now although you may have a very large sword in your hand you may count the fatal blow made to your heel as such a loss to your courage that you give up, or yield. The key here is not yield, giving in is allowing yourself to be overcome. We must remember that we can crush the enemies head.

Post Date: 10th Nov, 2007 - 12:38pm / Post ID: #

Page 2 Temptation Dealing Mormons

"Just as a fish in a mountain stream must be careful of the lures placed in its path to avoid being pulled away from the water, so must you and I be wise in order to avoid being pulled away from a happy, gospel-centered life. Remember that, as Lehi observed, the devil 'seeketh that all men might be miserable like unto himself' and obtains 'power to captivate' (2 Nephi 2:27, 29) us when we involve ourselves in unclean and evil things. Thus, do not be deceived into even nibbling at unworthy things, for Satan stands ready to set the hook. It was the very real risk of the hook being set subtly or suddenly that let the ancient prophet Moroni--who actually saw our day (see Mormon 8:35)--to pointedly warn you and me to 'touch not the evil gift, nor the unclean thing' (Moroni 10:30).

"There is much that is evil and unclean in music, the Internet, movies, magazines, and in alcohol, drugs, and tobacco. As to any evil and unclean thing, my young friends, do not even touch it!"

Ref. Marcus B. Nash, "The Great Plan of Happiness," Ensign, Nov. 2006, 49-50

10th Nov, 2007 - 11:44pm / Post ID: #

Temptation Dealing Mormons

I do not think that we will nor are we capable to overcoming sin totally in our lives. There has never been a prophet, or person who has ever claimed that, with the exception of Jesus Christ. I feel that this idea drives many LDS to Prozac and depression because it is just not practical to expect this to happen in this life. I know no one who has obtained this white whale. I also do not think that conversion is based on how little we sin, nor on reaching that unattainable sinless state. If that was the case then no one would be converted. I believe we become converted because of our inability to overcome sin, and our dependence on Christ. Hence if we overcome sin, why depend on Christ? It seems that when we talk about overcoming sin it is always on our own power and will. I wonder where Christ fits into this idea? The way we become righteous (which means to become holy) is through Christs blood, it is only through Christ that we are sinless, not through our efforts or ability of avoid temptation and sin.

3rd Apr, 2014 - 2:14am / Post ID: #

Mormons Dealing With Temptation

I was thinking the other day as I was reading the account of a man with an addiction.  He was saying it was very hard for him to quit because he felt "tempted" every day.  But is it temptation what he feels if the person is experiencing an addiction?

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
6th Apr, 2014 - 12:53pm / Post ID: #

Mormons Dealing Temptation - Page 2

Yes, when a person has an addiction and is trying to recover, and it comes up they are Tempted to do it again.

6th Apr, 2014 - 9:53pm / Post ID: #

Mormons Dealing Temptation Mormon Doctrine Studies - Page 2

Not sure. If the person has an addiction means they are somehow sick and they need help, so I am not sure if they "tempted" or is a natural cause of the addiction?

+  1 2 3 

> TOPIC: Mormons Dealing With Temptation

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,