If Joseph Smith Returned...

If Joseph Smith Returned - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 16th Mar, 2004 - 9:43pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

His last words?
Post Date: 10th Mar, 2004 - 1:53am / Post ID: #

If Joseph Smith Returned...

"President Brigham Young spoke of a sacred experience when the martyred
Prophet Joseph Smith came in vision to President Young, bringing the Saints
one more message. It is a message that Saints need today more than ever
before: '[Be sure to] tell the people to . . . keep the spirit of the Lord,'
Joseph said, 'and it will lead them right. Be careful and not turn away
the small still voice; it will teach you what to do and where to go; it will
yield the fruits of the kingdom. Tell the brethren to keep their hearts open
to conviction, so that when the Holy Ghost comes to them, their hearts
will be ready to receive it.' "

(Joseph B. Wirthlin, "The Unspeakable Gift," Ensign, May 2003, 27-28)

Sponsored Links:
16th Mar, 2004 - 9:18pm / Post ID: #

Returned Smith Joseph If

tell the people to . . . keep the spirit of the Lord,'
Joseph said, 'and it will lead them right.

I think we still need this advice. Maybe even more than the saints in Brigham Young's day. Sometimes I think we get too caught up in "the letter or the law" so to speak. Did I say enough prayers this week? Did I read my scriptures enough this week? So on and so forth. It is good to ask these questions in an effort to improve, as we all can improve and should be striving to do so. However, often the concern is only am I good enough to be found worthy and live in the celestial kingdom. If we do as Joseph Smith told Brigham Young to tell us, and keep the spirit of the Lord, it will be enough. If we do so honestly.

The rest of the message is equally profound. I love all of what he said and believe it to be absolutely true.

16th Mar, 2004 - 9:43pm / Post ID: #

If Joseph Smith Returned... Studies Doctrine Mormon

That is a good point, it is said so simply, yet we seem to make it so difficult for the Spirit at times. I remember in my younger days that everything seemed to be like the Mosaic law... do this, do that Sunday, read scriptures, etc. Now that I am older and hopefully just a tad bit wiser, I understand better how to stop and smell the roses of the Gospel, which enables me to understand more of why the Savior did certain things while others were busy worrying about 'what to eat', 'where to go', etc.

> TOPIC: If Joseph Smith Returned...

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,