Spelling - We Can't Read You! - Page 5 of 8

Offtopic but, QUOTE I am sure she has nothing - Page 5 - Sciences, Education, Art, Writing, UFO - Posted: 6th May, 2006 - 10:45pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 

?
Poll: Do you use the forum spell checker?
  Yes, everytime I post       43.24%
  Yes, some of the time       27.03%
  No, I always forget       0.00%
  No, I can spell really good       29.73%
Total Votes: 37
Guests Cannot Vote - Join To Add Your Vote! 
How do they spell that word again?
Post Date: 1st Nov, 2005 - 6:08pm / Post ID: #

Spelling - We Can't Read You!
A Friend

Spelling - We Can't Read You! - Page 5

I am so proud! You people know how to spell grammar! It always makes me laugh when I see somebody on an online forum get on to somebody else because of their grammar, and they spell it 'grammer.'

I am such an English fanatic. I was always the English student that the other students brought their papers to if they needed somebody to edit it. I'm not perfect in my spelling, by any means, but I have always had a tendency growing up to be ahead of my peers in grammar, spelling, etc. I am infamous for typos when I am really tired, then my fingers are just slipping all over the place.

I usually don't use the spell checker because I re-read things as I go through them. Unless, as I said, it's late and I'm really tired. That's when I tend to write my 'teh' for 'the' and other silly looking words.

Sponsored Links:
1st Nov, 2005 - 11:37pm / Post ID: #

You Read Cant - Spelling

I have been finding more and more instances on the 'net of documents with great spelling, but the wrong, similar, words being used. Here are some of my favorite types of mistakes.

"I am going to the dinner to get some diner."
"She is going threw with the purchase."

There are lots more, but it is obvious that there were misspellings, and when the person uses the spellchecker, they make incorrect choices on what the intended word is.

As far as grammar is concerned, I try to use the same grammar in writing that I use in talking. So, I frequently have "dangling participles" and other technical errors. I don't really care. As long as I can get my message across, clearly, that is what matters. Poor spelling, very poor basic grammar, both get in the way of presenting the message.

28th Apr, 2006 - 6:33pm / Post ID: #

Spelling - We Can't Read You! UFO & Writing Art Education Sciences

The spell checker works very well in my opinion. I do butcher words some day beyond it's ability to suggest anything but I am getting better about that. The biggest thing it finds now are usually going to be user names or I simply mixed up letters when I type too fast.

Post Date: 28th Apr, 2006 - 11:46pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Page 5 You Read Cant - Spelling

The spell checker will not give a suggestion for the word occassionally. I'm really surprised that it is picking it up as a misspelled word but can't come up with a suggestion for it. I no I don't know how to spell it or I would have just spelled it correctly.

29th Apr, 2006 - 1:44am / Post ID: #

You Read Cant - Spelling

Yes it is not perfect in that regard, and it does irritate me when it does that, but I do not think I can build on the script it uses so the benefit might be that it forces you to make sure you get it spelt right by having you change the letters in the misspelt word and spell checking it again. A couple of times of that and you will not spell the word wrong again.

Offtopic but,
I think we need to 'force' FarSeer to have yahoo on all the time, in this way we can just Instant Messenger her with spelling questions. I am sure she has nothing better to do that spell for us - right FarSeer? wink.gif

29th Apr, 2006 - 3:54am / Post ID: #

Sometimes I spell words differently to the spell checker script because I use UK English and not US English.

I find this spell checker to be fairly decent, however on rare occasions it doesn't work for me. I'm not sure whether this is a computer problem or a server issue.

I find for long articles that Microsoft Word is a useful tool to pick up spelling mistakes.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
6th May, 2006 - 3:04am / Post ID: #

Spelling - Can't Read You! - Page 5

If the Spell Checker does not load the text to be checked then it is usually a connection problem. My solve for that is to close it and then click on the Spell Check button again. Repeat the process until your net connection communicates well with our server (usually after the first or second try) and then you see your text to be checked.

6th May, 2006 - 10:45pm / Post ID: #

Spelling - Can't Read You! Sciences Education Art Writing & UFO - Page 5

Offtopic but,
I am sure she has nothing better to do that spell for us - right FarSeer? wink.gif

It's what I live for, JB smile.gif

I haven't had too much trouble with the spell checker, and it does have the learn feature to add new words to its vocabulary. I really only use it if I'm unsure of a word, which is kind of rare....

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 

> TOPIC: Spelling - We Can't Read You!

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,