Spelling - We Can't Read You! - Page 6 of 8

I won't lie my spelling is terrible! - Page 6 - Sciences, Education, Art, Writing, UFO - Posted: 15th Apr, 2010 - 3:21pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  « First of 8 pgs.  2 3 4 5 6 7 8 

?
Poll: Do you use the forum spell checker?
  Yes, everytime I post       43.24%
  Yes, some of the time       27.03%
  No, I always forget       0.00%
  No, I can spell really good       29.73%
Total Votes: 37
Guests Cannot Vote - Join To Add Your Vote! 
How do they spell that word again?
29th May, 2006 - 10:27pm / Post ID: #

Spelling - We Can't Read You! - Page 6

To show you how much the grammar rules and spell checker has a psychological effect over us:

We recently opened www.TTGospel.com and www.bordeglobal.com/foruminv/index.php?showforum=120 and both have their own simplified Boards with no strict rules and no spell checker like here, as we have posted we (LDS_forever and myself) have been trying to press a spell check! I have to assure my wife to not worry, FarSeer does not post in these communities laugh.gif.

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 16th Jul, 2006 - 4:38pm / Post ID: #

Spelling - We Can't Read You!
A Friend

You Read Cant - Spelling

I usually feel an urge to try to correct people's grammar or spelling, but most of the time those people don't really care whether or not they substitute then for than. Thus, I don't usually follow through with the correction. However, I do sometimes get frustrated with people who use whom as in the wrong context; take this sentence: "Whom is making that terribly loud noise?" Such people often are trying too hard to be very proper, although whom does sound more proper than who, I suppose.

I myself have been very good with grammar and spelling; after all, my dad is a lawyer, and as such, is picky about such errors. Also, I think taking Latin has improved my grammar and, of course, my vocabulary, although sometimes I want to pronounce things in the Latin way. Take medieval: we, as speakers of English, pronounce medieval as meh-DEE-vul - but I, who know latin, want to pronounce it meh-dee-I-vul, and spell it mediaeval.

Post Date: 30th Sep, 2006 - 10:26pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Spelling - We Can't Read You! UFO & Writing Art Education Sciences

Spelling has always been something that I am pretty good at doing. Due to my disability though, I type one-handed and make mistakes often. When I was in the 8th grade, my Keyboarding teacher got me a special book to teach me to type fast on the computer. I got an AA in English last year and so yes it bugs me when I see tons of mistakes, but only when the meaning is unclear. The spell checker is a necessity for me.

Reconcile Edited: Silverjade on 30th Sep, 2006 - 10:28pm

1st Oct, 2006 - 9:13am / Post ID: #

Page 6 You Read Cant - Spelling

I'm an average speller at best so yes, I use the spell checker every time I post. It's easy to make small typo mistakes and the spell checker saves a lot of editing time. It's also great to check words that I'm unsure are spelled correctly.

Offtopic but,
Are the links for the dictionary and thesaurus still on the spell checker? I couldn't see them.

Post Date: 6th Oct, 2006 - 10:30pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

You Read Cant - Spelling

At my work it is pounded into us to always use the spell checker. We're supposed to run all ads through the checker, no matter how little text they contain. (Once we ran an ad I did that had channel spelled as chanel...oops! So now I use it every time, here and at work.

Here's a poem they were passing around:

"Spell Chequer"

Eye have a spelling chequer,
It came with my pea sea
It plainly marques four my revue
Mistakes eye kin knot sea.

Eye strike a key and type a word
And weight four it two say
Weather eye am wrong oar write
It shows me strait a weigh.

As soon as a mist ache is maid
It nose bee fore two long,
And eye can put the error rite
It's rare lea ever wrong.

Eye have run this poem threw it,
I am shore your pleased two no.
Its letter is perfect awl the weigh,
My chequer tolled me sew.

21st Nov, 2007 - 9:37am / Post ID: #

I am okay at spelling but I use it every time--just in case. Also I usually am on late and if I get tired I transpose as well. Unfortunately it doesn't catch it if the word actually is a word--just not the one you intended. My grammar skills are awful but I try to make sure my posts are clear.
I have used the dictionary and thesaurus both. They are great tools to have.

YIKES! I had two typos in this one. Unfortunately and thesaurus!

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
8th Jun, 2008 - 5:10am / Post ID: #

Spelling - Can't Read You! - Page 6

I sometimes use the spell checker. Usually if I have written a long post or there is a word I just want to verify. I have always been an excellent speller and usually people are bringing me their documents to proofread. That said, as good as I am at typing we all have typos now and then. While I don't always use spell check I do always give my posts a once over prior to sending.

15th Apr, 2010 - 3:21pm / Post ID: #

Spelling - Can't Read You! Sciences Education Art Writing & UFO - Page 6

I won't lie my spelling is terrible! I rely heavily on the spell checker, as to not annoy everyone who ends up reading my posts. My fingers often can't keep up with my thoughts and I end up looking at the keyboard and not the screen only to look up later and find a jumbled mess with terrible grammar! undecided.gif Should have paid more attention at school and learned something... Oh well! At least I can assure you this post has been spell checked!

+  « First of 8 pgs.  2 3 4 5 6 7 8 

> TOPIC: Spelling - We Can't Read You!

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,