Post Date: 27th Dec, 2010 - 11:49pm
/ Post ID: #
Dia. Mod + Chief Mod[?] CPosts
Avg: 3.9 Post(s) / Day
Gain: 960.35 FPCharm: 333
I was reading an interview with British couple Peter and Murium Green, if you all remember they were brutally attacked in Tobago last year. Well, at that time when I read what happened and later on their words defending Tobago despite this horrible incident and that they would be returning I thought those words were just words coming out of "shock", after all these two people were almost killed and anyone in that situation wouldn't be saying that.
Anyhow, they changed their minds about this whole thing and they are now speaking up about what truly transpired with the police AND at the hospital. Some extracts of the interview:
One aggravating factor, the couple said, was when a man, who they identified as Farid Hinds, who claimed to be an official of the Tourism Ministry based in Tobago visited them in England months after the attack bearing gifts -- a miniature steelpan and a brightly patterned beach wrap.
The couple said they invited Hinds into their home and, in return, they were asked to return to Tobago to take part in Carnival.
"He wanted us to sit on a float and tell everybody what a fantastic country Tobago is," says Murium.
"I"ve never spoken about this before, because I didn't want to cause any further trouble for Trinidad and Tobago, but I found some of my treatment in the hospital appalling".
"The doctors did all they could for me but one nurse would whisper to me that I was a "white bastard" and that I would be "punished" at night".
"On one occasion, my sister saw a nurse washing my open wounds with a cloth which she had previously used to wash my bottom. When my sister complained, the nurses refused to let her in to see me for an entire day".
"The truth is, there are some Tobagonians who hate foreigners and aren't afraid to show it. The entire time I was in hospital, I was terrified. When I finally flew home after three weeks, I"ll never forget the relief I felt," said Peter.
The couple, however, went on to add that they have not yet received any of the compensation promised to them by Chief Secretary of the Tobago House of Assembly (THA), Orville London.
"We"re not poor; we worked hard and saved for our retirement. But we"ve had to spend a lot of money on our rehabilitation. We"re entitled to nothing from the British Government because the attack happened abroad, but we feel very upset and disappointed that we"ve had nothing from Tobago. It feels as if they don't care," Peter said.
Peter said when he called the police sergeant in charge of the investigation to enquire about a new date for the trial, the officer told him he did not know.
"The longer we were there, the more of the other side of Tobago we saw.
"We knew women who had been raped and other people who had been violently attacked.
"We were robbed four times and we had to install heavy bars across the windows at our villa.
"This year, there have been more than 400 murders there. It's not safe."
Mr Green said: "During our time in Tobago, we fired someone who worked for us because we suspected that person had been stealing from us.
"But prior to that, we had made arrangements to leave the villa to that person after we died.
"Obviously we changed those arrangements, and they found out and were angry.
"We told the police, who interviewed the person but didn't take it any further.
"They seem to blame us, which is very frightening as we have to go back there for a hearing on January 11."