How Long Will Text role-play gaming Last?

How Long Text Role-play Gaming Last - Board, Card, RPG Reviews - Posted: 27th Feb, 2012 - 2:08pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

29th April 2024's Text Adventure:
Choose Your Medieval Fantasy Character:

Ranger
Ranger
Paladin
Paladin
Wizard
Wizard
Barbarian
Barbarian
Warlock
Warlock
Rogue
Rogue
Draconian
Draconian
Cleric
Cleric
Fighter
Fighter

Post Date: 1st Aug, 2011 - 7:05am / Post ID: #

D&D Related

Name: Dovi

Comments Playing an RPG with pencil and paper or in a forum like this can't last very long can it? I mean it has a limit with how everything is going graphics and 3D.

Sponsored Links:
2nd Aug, 2011 - 5:17am / Post ID: #

Last gaming role-play Text Long How

Currently, what is replacing text roleplaying, as far as paper and pencil, is not really graphics and 3D, but voice, such as Skype or other voice interface. A lot of people do have webcams, but more use is made of the microphone, to supply the social aspect, the actual interaction, including the roleplaying in character, and nuance, and to also avoid the problems of people being bad at grammar and spelling, etc.

My friend that has run and played games for decades would be an example - if he had an internet connection that would allow it, IF he had to choose, he would likely choose voice over a realtime text chat game, for a long distance game, because his spelling is atrocious and he can't really formulate or get his ideas across all that well in text, but he does very good at GMing at the table.

I do agree the graphics and 3d, once it can become truly complementary to the voice and text/ppg aspect, could subsume *some* players' choice for gaming, but only for gatherings of a certain distance. I would still go to my friends' or have them come to my place, to play face to face tabletop roleplaying games, because I get to be there and see them too, because I just enjoy being with them, and everybody does not have computers in front of them all the time, no matter how common some people may make you think it is.

Post Date: 2nd Aug, 2011 - 12:25pm / Post ID: #

How Long Will Text role-play gaming Last? Reviews RPG & Card Board

Name: Dovi

Comments: Thanks for your thoughts. I believe it has to do with age and it might dye with the older generations who grew up playing using pencil and paper. Generations younger than me can't even believe we play a game with pencil and paper. When I suggest it I get a big "Boring!".

Post Date: 10th Sep, 2011 - 7:58pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

I don't think it actually has that much to do with age -- I know plenty of younger people who enjoy traditional pen-and-paper role-playing games. Yes, it's much less common than it used to be, but it's not going to die out for a long time.

10th Sep, 2011 - 11:52pm / Post ID: #

I think it will last as long as there are people out there that have a real creative writing background. There aren't many and many creative writers don't know about this level of writing but I bet if someone introduced them they might like it.

Post Date: 12th Sep, 2011 - 8:36pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Agreed. I know plenty of people who seem like the exact sort who would be very bored by pen-and-paper role-playing games. One of them, a good friend of mine, thought I was insane when he found out that I played games that did not involve computers or video game consoles, but when I showed him the game itself, he actually liked it due to how open-ended it was.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
12th Oct, 2011 - 11:18am / Post ID: #

How Long Text role-play gaming Last

Anything can last for ages so long as there is interest in it. Maybe D&D and other role-playing games won't be as popular in the future but there will still be hard core role-playing games out there.

27th Feb, 2012 - 2:08pm / Post ID: #

How Long Text role-play gaming Last Board Card & RPG Reviews

Anything based on text alone like the days of Zork and tabletop D&D will be considered old school. People are demanding to be the super hero rather than just play it with their imaginations. Of course that leads to weaker minds but this is a push button generation and they want all to be seen right now that's why video game sales is a billion dollar industry.

> TOPIC: How Long Will Text role-play gaming Last?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,