[news] It's About Time

[news] It' S Time - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 1st Apr, 2004 - 4:13pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

1st Apr, 2004 - 12:57am / Post ID: #

[news] It's About Time

A very interesting news item for Mormons....

Chicago Sun Times article.

Legislative text.

Since my great-great grandfather had an inheritance in Nauvoo, this is important to me.

Sponsored Links:
1st Apr, 2004 - 2:22am / Post ID: #

Time Its news

That is good to hear, will anything as far as compensation be involved or is this just formality?

Note: Since this is news and not doctrine it is being moved to the LDS News section.

1st Apr, 2004 - 11:11am / Post ID: #

[news] It's About Time Studies Doctrine Mormon

I only know what was in the article. I can't see how any compensation could possibly be made, as the events happened well over 150 years ago. None of the people directly affected is still alive, and the exodus from Illinois was obviously the Lord's will.

1st Apr, 2004 - 2:38pm / Post ID: #

Time Its news

I am really excited to see some government entity finally acknowledge that the treatment of the Saints in Nauvoo was wrong. I have had a difficult time whenever I think of how this government allowed such treatment of it's very own citizens.

As far as compensation, I doubt the Church would encourage members to seek such compensation. As Nighthawk has said, it was the Lord's will and served as "refining fire" in the development of the membership.

Lately, it has become popular to sue for compensation for unjust things that occurred in the past. There is currently a lawsuit against several very large corporations in the US alleging they benefited financially from slavery back in the 1800's. Also, we have a thread somewhere on this forum that discusses giving back land in Hawaii to the natives. I would think from a legal view, this would be no different. These people lost their homes and received no compensation for that whatever. In addition, many people died because they were forced to leave in the dead of winter.

I, however, don't believe in compensation for things that were done unjustly 100 or more years ago. I think it is good to acknowledge that the treatment was wrong and learn from it, but I think that should be enough.

1st Apr, 2004 - 3:36pm / Post ID: #

Time Its news

I, however, don't believe in compensation for things that were done unjustly 100 or more years ago.

I can understand the Church not seeking compensation - they often do not, I was thinking more in terms of the State giving them (the Church) land to build, etc. I do not agree that compensation should not be given for matters one hundred years or more, but that is another board and another discussion wink.gif

1st Apr, 2004 - 3:45pm / Post ID: #

[news] It's About Time

I do not agree that compensation should not be given for matters one hundred years or more, but that is another board and another discussion

I understand that I am in the minority on this forum or maybe even alone in my view of this. I think the problem with compensation for such things is that fear of being forced to pay for what someone did long ago before you ever were even born, causes companies and governments not to acknowledge that any wrong was done for fear of retribution.

I don't believe the Church needs to be given land in Nauvoo. We have land there, I believe. In addition, we can well afford to buy whatever we want. It would be nice if it helped with public relations for any future building projects the Church might want to pursue in Illinois, though.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
1st Apr, 2004 - 4:13pm / Post ID: #

[news] It's Time

I don't mind any government agency or branch acknowledging wrongdoing, whether past or present. As far as future actions, I would prefer all government to just leave religion completely alone. (But not vice versa)

> TOPIC: [news] It's About Time

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,