Mormons: Pregnant Again Or Not? - Page 3 of 16

LDS_Forever, QUOTE I assume (based on your - Page 3 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 11th Aug, 2007 - 7:04am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 7  ...Latest (16) »
Mormon Contraceptives
Birth control, condoms, etc. Controversial Mormon Issue.
Post Date: 17th Dec, 2004 - 8:54pm / Post ID: #

Mormons: Pregnant Again Or Not?
A Friend

Mormons: Pregnant Again Or Not? - Page 3

This subject is an example of how the world has changed over the years. Early church leaders encouraged members to have large families, to start early and not limit the number of spirits to be brought into the world. Back then, children were an asset to a family, speaking economically. The more children you had, the more work they could produce on the family farm. A couple with 12 children had more potential to prosper than a family of 3 kids.

Today, children are not an asset, they are a liability, speaking in terms of economics. In our society, children do not work to help the familes economics, they are a drain. You have to feed, clothe, entertain and educate them. Too keep them active, you have to pay for little leauge, soccer games, basketball leauges, music and dance lessons etc. And don't even mention a college education. The rare family with 12 children is going to be poor unless they have some creative ways to handle the expenses of such a large family. Everything a child does today costs money where in earlier times, everything they did was productive.

So you don't hear the Prophet telling us today to have a large family. It is not feasible in most cases. So it is no longer considered wrong to practice birth control where at one time it was.

Sponsored Links:
29th May, 2007 - 12:39am / Post ID: #

Not Or Pregnant Mormons

I like your deduction Gaucho, and I sometimes do wonder if economics really can make the Lord be more lenient or are we merely excusing ourselves? I know in a place like China where the law is only one per couple you cannot rationalize anything, but in the free world where there is no limitation should we really be so conscious about affordability?

29th May, 2007 - 12:49am / Post ID: #

Mormons: Pregnant Again Or Not? Studies Doctrine Mormon

A lot of times are excuses (we can make up excuses for anything if you think about it). In my personal experience, if I had to take into consideration that I do not own a home, that I am constantly moving...I definitly would not have had kids, period! So really, as I said we can rationalize the whole thing to fit our mindset in whatever way we want.

Both times I have been pregnant and gave birth, the Lord provided with EVERYTHING I needed even though I was not sure if we were able to do it and here we are with two beautiful children. And to be honest with you all, most times I feel guilty about birth control..I just can't take it out of my mind, I feel sometimes like is so wrong to stop spirits coming to this Earth and I imagine the Spirits waiting to have a Tabernacle. As we know most of those who are NOT LDS, don't want children because they do not want to be "bothered" but now even those who are LDS and who know the Plan want to stop them coming, too! undecided.gif

29th May, 2007 - 1:06am / Post ID: #

Page 3 Not Or Pregnant Mormons

I read this Thread from the beginning again and noticed everyone focused on the word "afford". I would like to turn this a bit to safety. If you were in a place like Iraq affordability may not be an issue as much as safety. What about if you are on the run or in hiding or living in an area where there are constant murders? Would these be situations to raise a family? I really think not, and genuinely I feel that you do not have to be rich, but you must have the ability to meet the needs, the basic needs of your family first before you bring children into the world. I am not talking about extras, but the basics. Safety, food and shelter are the very basics of existence and if you can provide none of them how can you begin to bring a baby in the world? We live in a concrete jungle. One cannot simply cut a tree down and make a house, take a gun and hunt for a deer so everyone can eat, no, it is way more complicated than that.

Post Date: 5th Aug, 2007 - 12:58am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Not Or Pregnant Mormons

JB, I like your idea of bringing safety into the equation. We are responsible for the safety of our children. I know if I lived in a war torn country it would be hard for me to convince myself to bring another life into the situation.

When my wife and I were first considering children I was still in the Navy. Finances were tight, and I had a concern that my children would be brought into a world of future devastation. Will my children fight in some kind of war, will my grandchildren? Would I be able to handle it if they didn't come back? These are hard questions that I never really was able to come to grips with.

Ultimately though we came to the conclusion to have children, and I can't imagine how different, and boring, my life would be without them. We are responsible for the safety of our children, but we can only do so much. The rest is in the Lord's hands. There are always threats to our childrens safety. Currently my wife and I live in a home with a river that runs right through our backyard. It scares me that they could fall into the river and be gone, but we watch them closely and let them know why they should stay away from the it.

I grew up the youngest of five, and we were poor. We always seemed to manage, mostly because my mother worked very hard and my grandparents helped a lot. It is up to each and every individual family to pray and decide how many children to have. I believe that if a man and his wife are prompted to have more children and know they can't afford it they should discuss this with their Bishop. There are church programs to help. It is also my experience that if the Lord wants you to do something, he will provide a way for you to do it.

My wife and I have three beautiful children. My wifes pregnancy's are very hard. She ends up on bed rest for about the last 3-4 months every time. During her last pregnancy we both felt like this would be our last, but didn't want to come to any conclusions until afterward. The day after Maggie was born our other children came to the hospital to meet her and I can remember sitting there with my wife and three children and knowing that we were complete. I had always thought I would have more, but I know I am finished now.

I counseled with my Bishop, who is also my wifes doctor, and he recommended that I have a vasectomy. I have since had it done and I feel great about it. It has been hard to watch my youngest grow up and know that she is my last child that will learn to walk, or talk, but it is also a great feeling of accomplishment. And besides, I have had as many kinds of kids as Brigham Young.

I know it is our tendency to judge poorly those who can't afford to have more children and do. I know people also judge poorly those who only have small families. I only hope that we can be good neighbors, and offer to help where it is needed.

Matthew 25:40

Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.

5th Aug, 2007 - 1:05am / Post ID: #

Good of you to share that, I especially like the part about doing your part and then it is in the Lord's hands, that is so true. In the end we have decided to have more children despite our circumstances, especially because:

1. Our children really have no one else to count with but us, so they will need their brothers / sisters as not only family, but friends

2. We are getting old and we can wait a life time for things to be just right before having children, and of course that never happens.

It is good of you to think about your wife's needs. I hope all works out.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
5th Aug, 2007 - 1:09am / Post ID: #

Mormons Pregnant Or Not - Page 3

Bob:

I counseled with my Bishop, who is also my wifes doctor, and he recommended that I have a vasectomy

That's interesting coming from your Bishop who is also a doctor, I assume (based on your description) that it was absolutely necessary since the Church provides restrictions on when vasectomies should take place.

Thanks for sharing such a personal experience.

Rather off topic, but...
By the way, you look very young to be a father of 3. smile.gif

Post Date: 11th Aug, 2007 - 7:04am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Mormons Pregnant Or Not Mormon Doctrine Studies - Page 3

LDS_Forever,

I assume (based on your description) that it was absolutely necessary since the Church provides restrictions on when vasectomies should take place.

Brittany and I talked to our Bishop/Doctor about the vasectomy quite a few times before we finally decided to do it. It was a tough decision to make. Brittany's pregnancy's have been so hard for her that we decided it would just not be healthy for her to have anymore. We also prayed about it and received this great feeling that we were done; no more kids were waiting on us. It was also a hard decision to make because I was pretty nervous about getting cut there. wink.gif In the end that was no big deal.

Rather off topic, but...
And yes, there are many days that I feel way to young to have 3 children, and I probably am. I do love being called "Daddy" though.

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 7  ...Latest (16) »

> TOPIC: Mormons: Pregnant Again Or Not?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,