Play By Post D&D Beyond The Veil Create Character

Play Post D Veil Create Character - D&D / Pathfinder Archive - Posted: 28th Aug, 2011 - 11:13am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

18th April 2024's Text Adventure:
Choose Your Medieval Fantasy Character:

Fighter
Fighter
Draconian
Draconian
Cleric
Cleric
Warlock
Warlock
Paladin
Paladin
Wizard
Wizard
Barbarian
Barbarian
Ranger
Ranger
Rogue
Rogue

+  1 2 
Closed
Felthalas as Dungeon Master Dungeons and Dragons
23rd Aug, 2011 - 4:02pm / Post ID: #

Greetings adventurers! This is the sign up page for the "Beyond the Veil" D&D campaign. Those wishing to participate will sign in here.

Characters entering the game will begin in Morcia's Keep, a bustling trade hub in the realm of Barsaive that lies at a cross-road between the Theran Empire (a powerful kingdom of ruthless warlords and slavers bent on uniting all Barsaive under one banner) and several other kingdoms not yet absorbed by the Therans.

Recently, Morcia's Keep has received news that Throal (a neighboring underground city of dwarven smiths and a valued trading partner) is under siege and in need of assistance.

Knowing only too well the insatiable desire of the Theran Empire to seize their coveted position, Morcia's Keep is hesitant to diminish their forces, but that's where you come in.

[Note: I am running spell casting a bit differently, so please read below.]

Here's how spell casting will work:

First your character should choose a mundane item (it should be something that can be carried or something that can be worn). This item will have been in your possession for several years and has been attuned to your character's true self and is useless in the hands of another person. This item is known as a "Spell Totem" and your character will use this item to "attune" spells to.

A spell caster may attune spells at his or her current level of potency or below to a spell totem, however the total number of spells per day is done away with.

The number of spells (that is the pool of known spells that your character has learned) that can be attuned to a spell totem is equal to the character's total number of skill ranks divided by 4 (rounded down).

Spell casters may cast 1 spell per attack phase regardless of whether or not that spell has been previously cast.

The total number of spells per attack phase increases by 1 every 3 levels to a maximum of 6 spells per attack phase.

Furthermore, all spells will be rolled as a standard attack action unless they hit instantly (like magic missile) or are cast on party members to heal of buff.

In addition to this, spell casters will use their character level as their base attack bonus and add their intelligence, wisdom, or charisma modifier (depending on which of their attributes governs spell casting for their class) to their attack roll.

Also all characters (except monks) will start off with the following bonus feat:

IMPART ESSENCE

Through extensive focus the character has imparted a portion of their true self into a particular item. The character may apply a minor magical ability to that item. For instance a fighter may choose to add 1d4 elemental damage to a weapon or 1d4 AC bonus to a shield or armor. The enhancement bonus may be activated once per day plus one additional time every six levels as a free action (note enhancements DO stack) and remain active for 1 day. All enhancements have to be approved before entering gameplay.

[Note: Enhanced items are specifically attuned to their owners and only function in their hands. Any other person wielding these items will suffer large penalties. For instance enhanced armor will impart massive check penalties and provide little resistance against attacks while weapons will suffer devastating attack and damage penalties. ]

Monks, rather will start off with the following bonus feat:

ENHANCE ESSENCE

This is basically the same as above, however the ability applies to the monk's physical body rather than an item.

Edited Message Edited...
Support: Changed title so players can find it easily. Hope you don't mind.

Sponsored Links:
24th Aug, 2011 - 8:29pm / Post ID: #

Character Create Veil The Dragons and Dungeons Post Play

I have never played as a thief but thought I will give it a try this time. I took the +2 AC bonus and added in already.

Character: Krusten
Player: Krusten
Classes: thief
Level: 1
Race: human
Alignment: Neutral Good
Experience 0
Religion: none
Experience: 0
Hit Points: 6
AC: 17
Base Attack Bonus: 0

Gold: 2 Silver: 1

Dog: Source 3

Strength: 12 +1
Dexterity: 17 +3
Constitution: 11
Intelligence: 8 -1
Wisdom: 7 -2
Charisma: 11

Fortitude: 0
Reflex: 5
Will: -2
Initiative: 3
Melee: 1
Ranged: 3

Skills:

hide 4 + 3 = 7
jump 4 + 1 = 5
listen 4 + -2 = 2
move silently 4 + 3 = 7
open lock 4 + 3 = 7
search 4 + -1 = 3
sleight of hand 4 + 3 = 7
swim 4 + 1 = 5
tumble 4 + 3 = 7
use rope 4 + 3 = 7

Equipment:

Dagger, punching 1d4 (1)
Leather +2 (1)
Backpack 2lb (1)
Hammer 2lb (1)
Pole (10ft) 8lb (1)
Rations 1lb (2)
Rope (50ft) 5lb (1)
Sack (1)
Waterskin 4lb (1)
Thieves' tools, masterwork 2lb (1)

Feats/Specials:

acrobatic
armor proficiency light
simple weapon proficiency
Sneak attack
Trapfinding

Languages:

Common

Special: +2 AC bonus

25th Aug, 2011 - 12:47am / Post ID: #

Play By Post D&D Beyond The Veil Create Character Archive Pathfinder / D&D

Krusten, your character is approved for play please feel free to start out in the city of Morcia's Keep within the "Beyond the Veil Game Thread."

So your character's enhanced item is the leather armor she wears?

[If so, your character suffers no armor check penalty and is capable of sleeping while armored. Also your character is able to move within the armor as if it were a second skin. Furthermore this armor is so in tune with your character's true self that you gain a +4 concealment bonus when hiding or sneaking.]

Reconcile Edited: Felthalas on 25th Aug, 2011 - 1:04am

Post Date: 25th Aug, 2011 - 6:02am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Character: Gandz
Player: Gandz
Classes: Druid
Race: Human
Alignment: NG
Religion: None - Steward of Nature
Hit Points: 14

Strength: 16
Dexterity: 14
Constitution: 17
Intelligence: 15
Wisdom: 18
Charisma: 12

Fortitude: 5
Reflex: 2
Will: 6

Initiative: 3

Melee: 3
Ranged: 2

Money: 12 gp 3 sp

Armor Class: 14

Skills:

concentration 4 + 3 = 7
handle animal 3 + 1 = 4
heal 3 + 4 = 7
knowledge nature 4 + 2 = 6
listen 2 + 4 = 6
spellcraft 4 + 2 = 6
spot 2 + 4 = 6
survival 4 + 4 = 8
swim 2 + 3 = 5

Equipment:

Crossbow, light 1d8 (1)
Bolts (10) (3)
Sword, short 1d6 (1)
Studded leather +3 (1)
Shield, small, wood +1 (1)
Backpack 2lb (1)
Bedroll 5lb (1)
Blanket 3lb (1)
Caltrops 2lb (1)
Flint/steel (1)
Pouch, belt 3lb (1)
Rations 1lb (7)
Rope (50ft) 5lb (1)
Sack (1)
Soap 1lb (1)
Torch 1lb (3)
Waterskin 4lb (1)
Whetstone 1lb (1)
Healer's kit 1lb (1)
Holly and Mistletoe (1)

Feats/Specials:

armor proficiency light
armor proficiency medium
combat casting
shield proficiency
toughness
Animal companion
nature sense, wild empathy

Languages:

Celestial
Common
Druidic
Sylvan

Gandz has chosen to have an animal
companion - a celestial snow leopard
named Jupiter.

Gandz has had Jupiter in her possession
since childhood and has imparted a portion
of her true essence to Jupiter's.

This relationship affords Gandz the following
benefits:

- She and Jupiter can communicate back and
back and forth telepathically.

- She and Jupiter can share spells and she can
swap senses with him as well.

- Jupiter can also heal her for up to 3d4 hit points
per day.

25th Aug, 2011 - 6:21am / Post ID: #

Greetings Gandz,

Your character is approved. You should start in the city of Morcia's Keep. You can begin by posting your character's actions in the "Beyond the Veil" Game Thread.

28th Aug, 2011 - 7:18am / Post ID: #

Character: Deke Bruen
Player: iCon
Classes: Psion(Telepath) 1
Race: Half Elf
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Religion: Undecided
Hit Points: 4 (wow, I'm not going to live very long)

Strength: 11
Dexterity: 14 (+2)
Constitution: 11
Intelligence: 13 (+1)
Wisdom: 15 (+2)
Charisma: 16 (+3)

Fortitude: 0
Reflex: 2
Will: 4

Initiative: 2

Melee: 0
Ranged: 2

Money: 12 gp 9 sp (I only started with 75gp as suggested by d&d wiki)

Armor Class: 12

Skills: (some pluses from ranks others from feats or race)

Bluff 3 + 1 = 4
Concentration 0 + 1 = 1
Diplomacy 3 + 2 + 1 = 6
Disguise 3 + 2 = 5
Forgery 1 + 2 = 3
Gather Information 3 + 1 + 2 = 6
Knowledge (arcana) 1 + 1 = 2
Listen 2 + 1 = 3
Search 1 + 1 = 2
Sense Motive 2 + 1 = 3
Sleight of Hand 2 + 1 = 3
Spot 2 + 1 = 3

Autohypnosis 2 + 1 = 3
Knowledge (psionics) 1 + 1 = 2
Psicraft 1 + 1 = 2

Equipment:

Dagger (1D4, 19-20/x2)
Dart x5 (1D4, x2, 20 ft.)
Backpack
Bedroll
Caltrops (a part of Deke's street performance)
Chalk
Flint and steel
Ink vial
Ink pen
Lamp (common)
Parchment sheets x5
Tent
Waterskin
Monk's robe (heavily modified with about 10gp worth of adornments, worth 15gp)

Feats/Specials:

Deceitful
Narrow mind [psionic]

Powers:

1 Charm, Psionic: Makes one person your friend.
1 Mindlink: You forge a limited mental bond with another creature.

2 power points/day

Languages:

Common
Illithid (Mind Flayer)
Elven

Half-Elf:
"¢ Immune to magical sleep
"¢ +2 racial bonus on saves vs. Enchantments
"¢ Low-light vision
"¢ +1 racial bonus on listen, search, and spot checks(applied)
"¢ +2 racial bonus on diplomacy and gather information checks(applied)

Enhance Essence:
Deke's quick hands couple with his ability to preempt movements to give him the skill required to grab an opponent's weapon with both hands and wrench it away.

Once per turn, if an enemy lands a hit(melee), roll a D20+dex+cha against the opponent's modified attack roll (my thoughts behind this choice was that the attack is already high enough to pass Deke's AC so it needs a large boost to actually succeed sometimes). Deke immediately drops his weapon. On a success he catches the opponent's weapon and disarms him. On a failure, the attack hits and damage is dealt. If the enemy rolled a critical, Deke cannot attempt to disarm in this way.

Some restrictions apply, as per a disarm action. I.e. For well secured items.

[if this is too OP consider a similar defence against ranged attacks or an extra deflect arrows feat. If none of these are possible, +2 AC is fine]

Reconcile Edited: iCon on 28th Aug, 2011 - 7:22am

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
28th Aug, 2011 - 7:57am / Post ID: #

Play Post D&D The Veil Create Character

ICon, your character is almost ready for approval. I agree with you that your character's health is a little low. If you prefer, you can either re-roll your character's constitution and hit points and hope that you get a better score or if you wish you can have your character begin with max hit points. I'll leave that up to you.

I like your idea for your character's "Enhanced Essence" however I'd like to add something of my own if I may:

Being a Telepath, Deke has limited precognition in combat. As an immediate free action, he may negate all damage from one strike as a "Telepathic Dodge." [I will allow this once per encounter] This will be in addition to the "Empathic Disarm" ability you mentioned.

Also, I would make the following change to this disarm ability. Rather than allowing him to perform disarm rolls once per turn, I would allow you to declare the attempt once per encounter against a named target. If the disarm check fails combat proceeds as normal unless your character opts to use "Telepathic Dodge." Furthermore, if the disarm check succeeds, a limited psionic blast is released and the target is stunned for 1d4 rounds.

Also, to be fair, your opponent would have to make a successful will save to avoid being stunned.

Let me know your thoughts on this when you resubmit your character.

Rather off topic, but...
Also, don't worry about power points. Your character is free to cast one psionic power per attack phase regardless of power points. Your character will cast psionics as a standard attack action using his level as a base attack bonus and the modifier of whatever attribute that affects casting for your selected class as a bonus. There's no need to keep track of power points.

Also I will need to know your character's choice in a "Psionic Totem."

This will be a mundane item of your choosing that your character attunes psionic powers to.

Attuned powers represent the pool of known powers available to your character at any given time.

You may attune a total number of powers equal the total number of your character's skill ranks divided by 4 (rounded down).

At any time prior to combat your character may spend a turn to switch out which powers he wishes to attune to this totem.

Your character may cast one attuned power per attack phase at first level and one additional power every three levels thereafter.

Please let me know if any of this is unclear.

Reconcile Edited: Felthalas on 28th Aug, 2011 - 8:27am

28th Aug, 2011 - 11:13am / Post ID: #

Play Post D&D The Veil Create Character D&D / Pathfinder Archive

I think playing a weak character will be a fun challenge for me. The psion is a hit die D4, so I believe this is max (if I'm doing it right). Not to mention that no power points does make him quite powerful (1 charm/turn on lvl 1 would make the enemies just walk away).

Your rules for the enhanced essence are fair.

I was hoping that you'd let me attune to my body, same as monks, but if not, my robe will be this item.

The number of attuned powers is skill ranks. This seems to be 12 ranks in my case, so 3 powers. I only have access to 2. Can I attune a non-telepath power(different psionic discipline)? There is a feat(Expanded Knowledge) which allows this, would you want me to take that feat first?

Also, is my 'power roll' an opposed check against the enemy?

Also, you mentioned in the party thread that psionic focus will be rolled at the same time as initiative. What will the Concentration check DC be and what modifiers will apply? and if I want to focus again during combat, will it be a full-round action?

EDIT: How will augmenting powers with more power point to increase their effect work?

Reconcile Edited: iCon on 28th Aug, 2011 - 11:15am

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: Play By Post D&D Beyond The Veil Create Character

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,
This International Discussions custom Play By Post Pathfinder Role-playing Game uses trademarks and/or copyrights owned by Paizo Publishing, LLC under permission. More details can be found in the first Post of any Pathfinder RPG. Wizards of the Coast are he trademark owners for D&D and likewise allow the use of their system under permission.