The Mormon Endowment - Page 4 of 9

QUOTE Yes, when completely by myself. And - Page 4 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 16th Apr, 2004 - 5:39pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8  ...Latest (9) »
15th Apr, 2004 - 4:07pm / Post ID: #

The Mormon Endowment - Page 4

Here are some quick notes about the endowment, and what it can (and should) mean.

President Heber C. Kimball, speaking of temple ordinances at a slightly later date, said: "This is why you are required to be sober, to be honest, that you could ask and receive, knock and it should be opened, and that when you sought for things you should find them. [The endowment] is putting you in possession of those keys by which you can ask for things you need and obtain them. This is the key by which to obtain all the glory and felicity of eternal life. It is the key by which you approach God . . . and be recognized. . . . Now you have been taught how to pray. . . . The principles which have been opened to you are the things which ought to occupy your attention all of your lives. They are not second to anything. You have the key by which, if you are faithful, you will claim on your posterity all the blessings of the priesthood" (in Helen Mar Whitney, "Scenes in Nauvoo, and Incidents from Heber C. Kimball's Journal," Women's Exponent, 12:26).

The above is one of the main reasons that I claim that the prayer is the real power in the endowment. It comes from Spiritual Progression in the Last Days.

The following quotes come from a document I have on my website, Further Light and Knowledge which is one of the most powerful books I have ever read.

Bathsheba W. Smith, wife of Apostle George A. Smith reemphasized this same point. She states that Joseph told her:
"...that we did not know how to pray and have our prayers answered.  But when I and my husband had our endowments...Joseph Smith presiding, he taught us the order of prayer." (Words of Joseph Smith, p. 54.)

In a discourse given in the Nauvoo Temple, December 28, 1845, President Brigham Young explained concerning the signs and tokens:
"After his fall, another name was given to Adam, and being full of integrity, and not disposed to follow the woman nor listen to her, was permitted to receive the tokens of the Priesthood...the name that was given to Adam was more ancient than he was - The name Adam was given him because he was the first man - but his New Name pertained to the Holy Priesthood and as I before stated is more ancient than he was - there are 4 Penal Signs & 4 Penal Tokens and should I want to address the Thorone (sic) to enquire after ancient things which transpired on Plannets (sic) that roled (sic) away before this Plannet (sic) came into existence, I should use my New Name which is Ancient and refers to Ancient things - Should I wish to Enquire for Present things I should use my own Name which refers to present things & should I want to Enquire for Future things I would use the 3rd Name which refers to the first token of the Melchizedek Priesthood - or is the 3rd token that is given - &refers to the son - the 2nd Token of the M. Priesthood is to be given only in one place and nowhere else - but these signs &tokens that pertain to the Priesthood should never be given anywhere only in such places as belong to the order of the Priesthood." (Brigham Young 28 Dec. 1845; record of the Seventies, Book B, 28 Dec. 1845; N. B. Lundwall Mss. Microfilm Roll #1; Heber C. Kimball "Journal" Book 93; Woman's Exponent Vol. 12, No. 6 p. 42; William Clayton's Minutes, Church Historical Dept. 28 Dec. 1845;
John Doyle Lee "Journal", 14d, p. 56-57; Minutes of the Nauvoo Temple Record Sunday, Dec. 28, 1845.)
The use of the fourth sign and token was never mentioned by President Young in this particular discourse as far as we have record.  However, from other LDS sources we are able to piece together that the 4th sign is used specifically to open the heavens, to see and not just to communicate, and to have messengers appear so that the person praying might be taught from on high by them face to face.

The following entry from the Journal of Heber C. Kimball explains a little more clearly how the principle of prayer should be applied. Elder Kimball is quoting remarks made by Elder George A. Smith.
"...when we pray to the Lord we ought to come together clad in proper garments (robes?), and when we do so, and unite our hearts and hands together and act as one mind, the Lord will hear us and will answer our prayers.  Our (under) garments should be properly marked and we should understand these marks and we should wear these garments continually, by night and by day, in prison or free...if we have the garments upon us at all times we can at anytime offer up the signs...said that whenever they (George A. Smith and Wilford Woodruff) could get an opportunity they retired to the wilderness or to an upper room - they did so and offered up the signs, and were always answered.  It would be a good thing for us to put on our garments (robes?) everyday and pray to God, and in private circles, when we can do so with safety." (Journal of Heber C. Kimball, Sunday Dec. 21, 1845.)

In the quote above, I think the author inserted his own assumptions and comments in the parentheses.

I hope that these quotes help you to understand what I have tried to explain, at least a little better, about how central the True Order of Prayer is.

Finally, I would like to point out that Joseph Smith gave us some "grand keys" to identify messengers. Isn't it likely that the specific keys given in the endowment are associated with the "handshake" that Joseph told us to offer to any supernatural messengers? I had to delete the quote concerning this to reduce the size of my post.

Sponsored Links:
15th Apr, 2004 - 4:17pm / Post ID: #

Endowment Mormon The

Those are some enlightening additions Nighthawk. I was just thinking of two things that we might like to discuss;

1. How important is it really to 'know' the ritual/ceremony in the endowment based on mind? In other words, should we really try to remember these things (the tokens, words, etc) or will we remember them automatically when it is the correct time and place?

2. I often wonder if those in ancient times were given a similar endowment or if it was different, just as ours has changed. By ancient I am referring to the Biblical era.

15th Apr, 2004 - 4:29pm / Post ID: #

The Mormon Endowment Studies Doctrine Mormon

Based on what I have learned, it is VITAL that we learn and remember the specific signs and tokens, as they are necessary if we want to make real, powerful progress in this life.

Yes, they will be required for us to pass the "angels" at checkpoints along the way in Eternity, but is there any reason not to pass those same checkpoints while in mortality?

There really is no reason each of us can't be equal to Moses, Nephi, Moroni, or Joseph Smith in this life. All they had was access to God. And the endowment is how we can gain that access. It is up to each of us to USE that access, as guided by the Spirit, to open up Eternity to our own gaze, and to receive messengers from our Father, who will lead us into Eternity.

15th Apr, 2004 - 5:04pm / Post ID: #

Page 4 Endowment Mormon The

Based on what I have learned, it is VITAL that we learn and remember the specific signs and tokens, as they are necessary if we want to make real, powerful progress in this life.

What happened if you don't remember all the signs and tokens undecided.gif . The reason I said is that for those who do not live near a Temple and have the chance to attend regularly, it may pass years and years before they visit a Temple again and memory is not as good as you may think when the years pass....
Also you have no way to discuss these things or 'practise' the signs and tokens outside the Temple, so what do you do?. I'm a bit concerned about this. The times I have been in the Temple, the workers always helped me remembering the words needed in English (it is sooo hard to memorize things in my own language, not to mention in another one!!) so what to do?.

16th Apr, 2004 - 1:30pm / Post ID: #

Endowment Mormon The

This is my own opinion!

I believe that the Church is here to TEACH me how to live, not TELL me how to live (especially spiritually). I also believe that my home should be a sanctuary, as sacred and clean as the Temple (unfortunately, I have a long way to go in this area).

Thus, I believe that if I am prepared, and my home is properly prepared, that I can use these signs and tokens within my own home. I have a couple of documents on the website that give suggestions about how to effectively do so, if a person is prompted by the Spirit to do so.

Also, Joseph Smith pointed out that if people are rich, they can use a temple, but if they are poor (the temple is far away, and there is no way to come up with the money to get to it), the mountain top IS the temple.

If you forget the pertinent items, there are ways to learn about them.

With all of this in mind, if you focus on the specific, pertinent, important items when you attend the temple, you will see that there isn't all that much to remember. Just a few signs and tokens. Remember them, learn how to use them, and suddenly the endowment becomes a personal endowment of power.

BTW, I have learned to pray with upraised hands (not related to the temple ordinance, but rather related to the description of Moses' prayer). Since doing so, I have had a few remarkable experiences. I also occasionally carefully think through the particular part of the endowment in my mind while praying. It helps. A lot.

16th Apr, 2004 - 4:43pm / Post ID: #

The Mormon Endowment

Thus, I believe that if I am prepared, and my home is properly prepared, that I can use these signs and tokens within my own home

I don't know if it is too personal to ask but do you use the signs and tokens at home?.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
16th Apr, 2004 - 5:32pm / Post ID: #

The Mormon Endowment - Page 4

Yes, when completely by myself. And it convinced me that I need to prepare and purify myself more before I do so again. It also convinced me, personally, of what I have said here before about the prayer being the center of the endowment.

16th Apr, 2004 - 5:39pm / Post ID: #

The Mormon Endowment Mormon Doctrine Studies - Page 4

Yes, when completely by myself. And it convinced me that I need to prepare and purify myself more before I do so again

Don't you personally think is a way to break the covenants you have made in the Temple concerning those signs and tokens?. I'm not judging here wink.gif just trying to understand your thinking.

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8  ...Latest (9) »

> TOPIC: The Mormon Endowment

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,