The Mormon Endowment - Page 7 of 9

Nighthawk is no longer in charge of that site, - Page 7 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 19th Nov, 2007 - 11:15am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  « First of 9 pgs.  3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
16th Aug, 2004 - 11:30pm / Post ID: #

The Mormon Endowment - Page 7

While I agree it may not be absolutely necessary, it certainly would appear that it would help a very great deal. So, to me, it seems like we are taking away a valuable tool for the sake of the ease of administration. Now, if the Lord gave a revelation saying he no longer wanted us to use this tool, that would be different, in my opinion.

Sponsored Links:
16th Aug, 2004 - 11:36pm / Post ID: #

Endowment Mormon The

Well, we say that we follow the Prophet who should receive revelation on such topics even if it is not in the words of 'Thus Saith the Lord'. It all goes back to the thread - is the Prophet's words enough. We can always hypothesize that maybe it was being misused or used as a 'crutch' to stay away from home or other things - who knows. I would like to know what was the reaction of members during that time? What was explained to them about the reason for stopping it. It is important to understand that we are still taught how to do this (the prayer) so that we may one day use it, just as we are taught many things that we will one day use without hinderance, policies or even earthly laws.

16th Aug, 2004 - 11:44pm / Post ID: #

The Mormon Endowment Studies Doctrine Mormon

You are right, Joseph did see the Father and the Son without this particular tool. Then, he taught this tool to the people so that they (we) could experience the same things. Joseph was particularly special (I believe that he was one of the archangels, just like Adam, Noah, and Moses).

As I have mentioned before, this is one thing that particularly bothers me. We are in the time of the restoration, yet there are a list of things that have been taken away from us. This is one of those things.

16th Aug, 2004 - 11:49pm / Post ID: #

Page 7 Endowment Mormon The

Yes, I understand your frustrations Nighthawk. Again, this is a subject I would like to approach some people in the Temple and others who would have been around that time, but alas I am surrounded by sea. Maybe one of you can do it and give us a general idea?

17th Aug, 2004 - 1:08am / Post ID: #

Endowment Mormon The

I personally do not see the big deal about this. First of all, I understand what Tena and Nighthawk are trying to say regards to this issue, I personally do not feel it was because of administration concerns. First of all, these prayers were NOT something the brethren used to do it on a daily basis, the reason I said this is because in the letter it states the following:

" Over the years special permission has been given from time to time
for special prayer circles to be held either in the temples of the Church
or in special rooms designated for that purpose in stake, ward, or other
buildings.

So it is obvious to me that these prayers required a 'special permission' from the First Presidency.

"and because of the complications that holding prayer circles in temples on Sunday have created and their tendency to take the participants away from their families and their other Church responsibilities, the Council of the First Presidency
and the Quorum of the Twelve has decided that all such prayer circles,
whether held in the temples or outside the temples, be discontinued immed-
iately.

It seems to be that the method used or misused (?) to do these prayers were taking away even time for the family, which is the basic and most important unit in the Church. It seems also that Temples were opened on Sundays also.

However, recognizing the value of these prayer circles in developing
spirituality, commitment, and unity among those participating in them, we
suggest that in lieu of such prayer circles, stake leaders may wish to
consider the following:

It doesn't state in any part that the prayer circles are necessary for Salvation, it only says of the value of spirituality that brings to our life, let's be careful with that, although I personally admit that such a prayer would be such a great experience, let's not think that just because we are not doing it nowdays, we cannot reach the same level of spirituality or even more.

(1) that periodically stake leaders and their wives attend a temple session together in connection with which arrangements be made with the temple presidency for the prayer circle held during the endow- ment session to be composed of several stake leaders and their wives; and
2) that periodically stake leaders and their companions be called together
in a special meeting where opportunity be given to those present to express
themselves by way of testimony or exhortation

We still enjoying the blessings of prayer circles, nobody took it away from us. Those who are near a Temple, all they have to do is have their Temple Recommend ready and go to the Temple as often as they wish.

Post Date: 17th Aug, 2004 - 1:20am / Post ID: #

The Mormon Endowment
A Friend

The Mormon Endowment

I went through the temple for the first time in 1977, about a year before the letter was sent out. In 1978, I was in Argentina on my mission and thus, did not hear anything of this. To be honest, I was not aware members were meeting in prayer circles outside the temple and I don't think it was very common. I do remember the church building i attended when I was young had an altar but I didn't give it much thought.

Four years ago when my Dad was dying, a large family group went to the temple together and attended a session. We all met in the Celestial room afterwards and gathered in a circle and had a family prayer. There was probably about 20 of us in the circle but we did not make any of the signs and tokens, just a prayer together. It didn't occur to me, or anyone else to meet in the True Order of Prayer.

I do not think the church members as a whole gave much thought when the letter was sent. I've never heard much discussion of it over the years.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
19th Nov, 2007 - 9:37am / Post ID: #

The Mormon Endowment - Page 7

QUOTE (Nighthawk @ 9-Apr 04, 6:32 AM)

See this document for a more thorough discussion of the concepts.

Night Hawk- I tried this link and it comes up with a blank page--do you have a different link? I appreciate what you wrote about the symbolism of the penalties, it was neat to go to the temple and ponder those and others, I just couldn't get the info from this link.
Thanks

19th Nov, 2007 - 11:15am / Post ID: #

The Mormon Endowment Mormon Doctrine Studies - Page 7

Nighthawk is no longer in charge of that site, I am. I have to upload this information - have not reached there yet - hopefully soon.

+  « First of 9 pgs.  3 4 5 6 7 8 9 

> TOPIC: The Mormon Endowment

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,