End Of Democracy In Hong Kong?

End Democracy Hong Kong - Politics, Business, Civil, History - Posted: 9th Apr, 2004 - 10:14pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
Under China's Reign
End Of Democracy In Hong Kong? Related Information to End Of Democracy In Hong Kong?
6th Apr, 2004 - 5:47pm / Post ID: #

There was a lot of talk on the topic of Hong Kong's future when Great Britain's administration of this Island ended and control was returned to China. Supposedly, it was to remain "free."

Here is an article that speaks of a recent ruling by Mainland China which controls how legislative changes can be made.

"China made a major ruling Tuesday on how Hong Kong chooses its leaders, saying the territory must submit proposed political reforms to Beijing for approval. Hong Kong activists immediately decried the decision."

https://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4675474/

I found the article very interesting.

What do you think. Will Hong Kong eventually be a complete democracy or a complete communist state?

International Level: Diplomat / Political Participation: 320 ActivistPoliticianDiplomat 32%

Sponsored Links:
6th Apr, 2004 - 8:45pm / Post ID: #

Kong Hong Democracy End

QUOTE (tenaheff @ 6-Apr 04, 12:47 PM)
What do you think. Will Hong Kong eventually be a complete democracy or a complete communist state?

I have always thought that China would exert full control over Hong Kong. It is very sad, but I expect to see very difficult times for the city in the near future.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 854 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 85.4%

Post Date: 8th Apr, 2004 - 12:06am / Post ID: #

A Friend

End Of Democracy In Hong Kong? History & Civil Business Politics

The following is very interesting,
"China made a major ruling Tuesday on how Hong Kong chooses its leaders, saying the territory must submit proposed political reforms to Beijing for approval....." Now I will change a few words
" Washington made a major ruling ..... on how Iraq chooses its leaders, saying the Governing Council must submit political reforms to Paul Bremer for approval.... " Why is it wrong in the case of China?? Is it not just as sad in both cases?? Just goes to show, that perception is not based on what we see but rather on where we come from.

8th Apr, 2004 - 1:46pm / Post ID: #

Kong Hong Democracy End

Mr. B This topic is not about the US or Iraq. This topic is about opinions on Hong Kong and it's political future. Who said anything about it being wrong? Simply asking for opinions and discussion. That is what this forum is about, after all.

International Level: Diplomat / Political Participation: 320 ActivistPoliticianDiplomat 32%

Post Date: 9th Apr, 2004 - 8:35pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Kong Hong Democracy End

I believe the parallel to the Iraq/U.S. conflict can be quite appropriate to the formulation of opinions on the future of Hong Kong. I will explain why. Most of us will base our opinions on models we are familiar with or on accepted process. In your post you used the words, free, complete democracy, complete communist, Nighthawk made the reference to sad, therefore one can only assume your have your own definition of these terms which in turn, will form the bases lets say; on formulating an opinion on the level and on how democracy is being implemented. So if we go back to the approach the US taking in Iraq, and if you agree with this approach, as most americans seem to, you will have no problems forming a positif opinion on China's approach toward Hong Kong because they are basically the same.

My personnel view re Hong Kong, I don't believe we will see any major changes in the short to mid term. China is moving toward mormalizing its relationships with the West as part of its economic strategy, therefore, I don't think China will want to make to many waves, in particular, considering that Hong Kong is its capitalist gateway.

Reconcile Edited: MrB on 9th Apr, 2004 - 8:50pm

9th Apr, 2004 - 9:25pm / Post ID: #

MrB since the discussion really is about what YOU think will happen, it seems only appropriate for you to either tell us what you feel, or comment specifically about something someone else has said and why you disagree or agree. I believe your last paragraph does that.

If you want to discuss how you think the US will behave if a particular thing happens in Hong Kong, that might be relevant. For example, to if you were to say you thought Hong Kong would be totally democratic because the US would intervene otherwise, I could see how that might be relevant to this thread.

If I want to read your opinions on Iraq, I will go to that thread. I, personally, don't want to discuss US policy in Iraq. That is why I am not posting in that thread. I have deliberately avoided regular posting in that thread.

Also, please remember that this is an international forum and not all members are from the US (you for example) and so not everyone wants to read how every thread is relevant to what the US might be doing some place else.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
9th Apr, 2004 - 9:35pm / Post ID: #

End Democracy Hong Kong

I believe China has to crumble in it's iron fist ways at some point, all such nations in the past fell when they put too much control upon its territories. Like MrB said, China is trying to be more friendly towards the West and cannot do anything major, but I bet if no one was looking the current government would bulldoze anyone that said "boo!"

Offtopic but,
Hey MrB, why don't you tell us more about yourself in the first intro thread you started as well as update your profile.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 3208 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 100%

Post Date: 9th Apr, 2004 - 10:14pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

End Democracy Hong Kong Politics Business Civil & History

tenaheff, I respect your choice of discussion and from now on I will do my best to stick to the subject.

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: End Of Democracy In Hong Kong?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,