If Girls And Boys Learn Differently

If Girls Boys Learn Differently - Sciences, Education, Art, Writing, UFO - Posted: 17th Mar, 2005 - 9:15pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

Post Date: 12th Apr, 2004 - 7:57pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

If Girls and Boys Learn Differently, Should We Treat Them Differently in the Classroom?

From the time they are preschoolers on, boys and girls absorb information at different rates, for different reasons, with different measures of success, according to Michael Guiran, author of Boys and Girls Learn Differently. If boys and girls learn differently, should they be treated differently in the classroom too?

Sponsored Links:
13th Apr, 2004 - 1:39am / Post ID: #

Differently Learn Boys Girls If

In reality, they are treated differently. Many more boys than girls are identified as having learning disabilities for example. Much speculation exists to suggest that this isn't because there is such a discrepancy in the number of boys vs. girls who have learning disabilities as much as it is that the expectations for boys is different than for girls.

13th Apr, 2004 - 3:52am / Post ID: #

If Girls And Boys Learn Differently UFO & Writing Art Education Sciences

I heard boys need more breaks during school hours than girls and that's why boys in general tend to be so hyper at school.

Post Date: 13th Apr, 2004 - 10:10pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Though I agree with a lot that has been said to a point, I think by only looking at it by speed of learning isn't the whole story. Gender, to a degree, also dictates what methods are most effective when learning as well. In that way, gender separation in the classroom might be beneficial. But, on the other side, it can also be positive to introduce a variety of learning styles and teaching techniques.

9th Sep, 2004 - 5:27pm / Post ID: #

Based on what I have read here, and the consensus that boys and girls learn differently, is there merit to schools just for boys and schools just for girls? That way, only one of the 2 genders are being tended too, and the uniformity of education helps everyone? I ask this because I have been through it, and I have my opinions on it. What do you think?

13th Sep, 2004 - 10:14am / Post ID: #

Well, I think there is no question there is a benefit in all girls schools. Studies show that girls that attend all girls schools do far better in Math and Science than the general population of girls in schools. Traditionally, girls don't do as well in science and math as boys. When they are in a girls only environment, they so better than in a mixed environment. Of course, the question is do they do better because boys aren't around so they are not worried about the social stigma of a girl excelling in these subjects or is it that girls only schools are private and that mostly better performing students go to private schools to begin with?

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
14th Sep, 2004 - 7:25am / Post ID: #

If Girls Boys Learn Differently

I've also heard that girls who are involved in sports tend to do better in the harder subjects than girls who aren't involved in sports. Something to do with confidence levels.

And, strictly in my opinion, I think there is too much distraction with co-ed classrooms. My 7-yr-old daughter tells me of how the boys tease the girls, in and out of class. And I remember in high school how distracting it was to have those cute boys in the back row... rolleyes.gif

Roz

17th Mar, 2005 - 9:15pm / Post ID: #

If Girls Boys Learn Differently Sciences Education Art Writing & UFO

QUOTE (funbikerchick @ 13-Sep 04, 5:14 AM)
Studies show that girls that attend all girls schools do far better in Math and Science than the general population of girls in schools.  Traditionally, girls don't do as well in science and math as boys.  When they are in a girls only environment, they so better than in a mixed environment.  Of course, the question is do they do better because boys aren't around so they are not worried about the social stigma of a girl excelling in these subjects or is it that girls only schools are private and that mostly better performing students go to private schools to begin with?

I would like to add to your list of possible answers to that question-

Refering back to xtrasweetgirl's comment
Gender, to a degree, also dictates what methods are most effective when learning as well. In that way, gender separation in the classroom might be beneficial.
I have heard that another benefit to teaching girls and boys seperately is the oppertunity to focus on the teaching techniques that commonly work best for girls/boys in their respective class rooms- perhaps that is also a reason students in single-gender schools/classes tend to learn better?

> TOPIC: If Girls And Boys Learn Differently

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,