Anti-American?

Anti-american - Politics, Business, Civil, History - Posted: 13th Apr, 2004 - 12:07pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5  ...Latest (6) »
AntiAmerican
The difference between stating your view and being an Anti-American
12th Apr, 2004 - 11:44pm / Post ID: #

Anti-American?

Anti-American?

Recently I asked a member what was the most irritating thing for them about the forum and they responded something like... "...the Anti-American sentiment". This made me think... Are most of the members here really Anti-American or are they merely stating their view point? What to you is 'Anti-American' and what is the difference between that and sharing a negative opinion about US Policy?

Below: CNN some people in Washington burn an US Flag.

Anti-American?
Anti-American? (Hover)

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 3208 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 100%

Sponsored Links:
13th Apr, 2004 - 1:30am / Post ID: #

Anti-American

Let me be the first to respond. biggrin.gif I feel there is a lot of anti-american sentiment expressed. Whether the persons expressing it consider themselves to be anti-american or not, I cannot judge. What I do know however, is there is very little positive said at all about the US in the International discussion threads. An occasional disagreement isn't necessarily anti-american, but if every comment made about the US is negative and that isn't anti, then I am sure I wouldn't want to see what is.

If someone doesn't think they are anti-american, yet the only comments they make are negative towards the US, what is one to gather from those comments. I respect everyone's right to disagree with US policy, but when every thread is against US policy, that seems to be anti-american. This is just my opinion, and I very well may be the only one who sees it that way, but it certainly keeps me from posting often in the international board. I do so occasionally, but certainly with nothing like the frequency I post on other boards.

International Level: Diplomat / Political Participation: 320 ActivistPoliticianDiplomat 32%

13th Apr, 2004 - 4:12am / Post ID: #

Anti-American? History & Civil Business Politics

I understand your feelings Tena, but I don't agree with some of the points you make. Personally I am one of those who made some negative posts about US policy but you see? just because I think certain US policies or decisions are wrong it doesn't mean that first that I'm an anti-american and second that I am so ignorant to not know that the US as a country have great things that they offer to its people and to the rest of the world.
I know that most US citizens on the forum feel the same way you do, at the same time, I don't understand why you all do not post any threads that may discuss the positive aspects of the United States (and there are plenty to discuss about). I understand how you feel because I literally LOVE my country, my land and I'm willing to defend it when is necessary but to defend it and love doesn't mean to make an eye blind of a situation or justify actions that I see are affecting thousands of people. That's what I feel that sometimes US citizens are doing in the forum, instead of understanding the anger or frustration or point of view of non-americans, they're quick to point out fingers and call us anti-americans just because we are outspoken about some US policies. The threads involving the US in the International Forum are very controversial and that's you will find that the opinions are not very positive. I want to invite you to post threads that you think are positive in nature. I would be glad to reply them. I'm sorry you feel the way you do, I just can speak of myself and say that I have NOTHING against the United States of America, NOTHING personal against American Citizens and that I love people in general not based on race, or nationality and when I speak my mind I do it in the most honest and innocent way (I don't intend to offend or hurt anybody), if I did, I apologize to any that may have felt offended it in any way by my posts.
I don't usually share my views with anybody, I do it here because I feel very comfortable discussing certain issues with you all. I look forward reading your new threads.
All the best,
LDS_forever

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 1089 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 100%

Post Date: 13th Apr, 2004 - 6:10am / Post ID: #

Anti-American?
A Friend

Anti-American

I'll agree with most of what LDS_forever said.

Im an American, lived here my whole life. Ive been called Anti-American so many times, but im thankfull i live here and not other places of the world. I thnk people point out the negitive things cause they want change. This whole anti-American thing has mainly come up (with in American) since 9/11. When poeple started to criticize the US government for actions they where taking, all the sudden "our" freedom to express our feelings in the pubic eye where twisted to Anti-American becaue we disagree with the big-wigs. I think just because a person points out "a peice of bad" (or acouple peices) they are not against the subject as a whole. They just want what they think is right.

13th Apr, 2004 - 11:16am / Post ID: #

Anti-American

Tenaheff, I would like to echo what LDS said and add...

I think there are a lot of US related threads here that you as a US citizen may be focusing on and see the negativity, but if you actually look well you would see the way I rant on Trinidad & Tobago in that board... total destruction in my words, and I am a Trinidadian! This is because I want change and speaking nice words only hides the rot underneath. This does not make me Anti-Trinidadian, it makes me a concerned citizen! Other threads like English Colonization and what not have negatives against British rule, etc. It all depends on where you look.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 3208 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 100%

13th Apr, 2004 - 11:17am / Post ID: #

Anti-American?

Let me clarify something. I am not suggesting any one is against American citizens and I also feel everyone has a right to express their feelings. What I am saying though is if all you ever express is negative then how can one come up with any other conclusion? As you must have seen, even when a thread has nothing to do at all with the US or it's foreign policy, people feel free to bring criticism from other threads into the discussion in order to further criticize the US. This happened very recently on this forum.

Also, I have seen a number of people who refuse to see any good when it is pointed out. When a complaint is leveled and a valid explanation is offered, most of what I have seen is people just ignore the explanation and go on and on about how bad the US is. For example, all the time the US is criticized for intervention in certain threads. Then in others, the US is criticized for not intervening.

I just want to remind you that I didn't start this thread, I am simply offering my opinion. smile.gif

Also, gaucho, I am not talking about the people in the US who refer to those who oppose the war as anti-american. I think that label is wrong and goes directly against everything this country is supposed to represent. I think everyone has a right to express their opinion and disagree, however, if every opinion someone holds about the US is anti, how are they not anti-american. That is what I have seen from a number of members on this forum.

I think I try to keep an open mind. In fact, I have criticized the US government for some of their actions. See my posts on US and Cuba as well as on how the US is handling Guantanemo Bay prisoners. That, in my opinion, doesn't make me anti-american, but if every post I made on US policy was negative, I would need to look a little more honestly at why I thought I shouldn't be labeled as such.

Reconcile Edited: tenaheff on 13th Apr, 2004 - 11:19am

International Level: Diplomat / Political Participation: 320 ActivistPoliticianDiplomat 32%

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
13th Apr, 2004 - 11:23am / Post ID: #

Anti-American

As you must have seen, even when a thread has nothing to do at all with the US or it's foreign policy, people feel free to bring criticism from other threads into the discussion in order to further criticize the US.

Well that was an offtopic and against forum rules as well, I think that situation was dealt with and the person even apologized?

Also, gaucho, I am not talking about the people in the US who refer to those who oppose the war as anti-american.

You mean Fluffy?

but if every post I made on US policy was negative, I would need to look a little more honestly at why I thought I shouldn't be labeled as such.

I think like LDS said, maybe you should start some positive threads, but you know, good news does not attract discussion, but go for it.

13th Apr, 2004 - 12:07pm / Post ID: #

Anti-American Politics Business Civil & History

Yes it was off topic and the person apologized after I complained vigorously and I appreciate that. In fact, I gave them a Charisma point for how they responded to my complaint. However, it doesn't change the fact that it happened and that is the point I am making.

I just choose for the most part not to participate in those threads. Fortunately, there are plenty more I can enjoy. It does get a bit "old" though when I am posting in a thread and stuff is brought in from other threads that don't belong just to bash US policy. Even if an apology is made later. The "hurt" is already done. I am trying to avoid what I find less than friendly, and it is brought to me anyway. Enough about that though, it is in the past, and I do appreciate how the poster handled themselves. I hold no grudges.

I am not interested in starting good threads. I tried this once. People don't find it interesting to discuss. Neither do I really. I would just like to see more open mindedness. That is largely my complaint. Also, as I have said, I think there is a lot of flip flopping. We are criticized if we act, and criticized if we don't.

Reconcile Edited: tenaheff on 13th Apr, 2004 - 12:08pm

+  1 2 3 4 5  ...Latest (6) »

> TOPIC: Anti-American?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,