What Is Intelligence?

What Intelligence - Sciences, Education, Art, Writing, UFO - Posted: 3rd Feb, 2005 - 5:47am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
15th Apr, 2004 - 1:05am / Post ID: #

What Is Intelligence?

We have all kinds of ways to rate the intelligence of something. Sometimes we may refer to it as superior, genius, animal-like, primative or even artifical, but what really is intelligence considering that we, humans that is, are just made up of biological materials? Can we make something out of the same materials (or similar) and cause it to have intelligence? Sounds like fiction? Maybe not...

CHIPS TO BE PLANTED IN BRAINS
For years, futurists have dreamed of machines that can read minds, then act on instructions as they are thought. Now, human trials are set to begin on an implant that may ultimately translate thought into computer commands.
https://deseretnews.com/dn/view/1%2C1249%2C...56096%2C00.html

What do you think will be in the future... machines just as intelligent as humans?

Sponsored Links:
16th Apr, 2004 - 5:27am / Post ID: #

Intelligence What

What do you think will be in the future... machines just as intelligent as humans?

Well, you do not specify a year but personally I think machines will never replaced man in all senses. No matter how inventive we are and how much technology we have, brains is something nobody can really invent.

Post Date: 24th Jun, 2004 - 11:51pm / Post ID: #

What Is Intelligence?
A Friend

What Is Intelligence? UFO & Writing Art Education Sciences

Another odd thing to think about is the way in which things act on a quantum level. A lot of the experiments seem to indicate that the atoms choose and have intelligence. From some of the stuff I've read, I've come to conclude that intelligence is the ability to act upon processed information, and I'm sure it does include quantum particles.

Post Date: 25th Jun, 2004 - 9:26pm / Post ID: #

What Is Intelligence?
A Friend

Intelligence What

Maybe a better word for what your asking would be sentience? Because if intelligence is just the ability to act on processed information then computers have been 'intelligent' for years. But that's not what you're asking, you're wondering if computers will ever be self-aware.

This is actually something I've done a good deal of thinking about, I'm planning on getting a doctorate in computer science with an emphasis in artificial intelligence. With our current computational models, I don't believe that sentient computers are possible.

Part of what I believe sentience is, is the ability to introspect, see ones short comings, and change them, to adapt and change, but not just in an evolutionary sense. If an animal is put into a position where its natural instincts will lead it to disaster, it has no choice but to follow those instincts. It can't check its course and make changes.

Humans however can, if the way that we were taught to act is destructive to either ourselves, or those around us, we have the ability to change and modify the way that we act. To 'reprogram' ourselves in a way.

Our current computational models don't allow for us to make a computer that could do that. Yes we can make computers that can adapt, or even modify themselves, but only in response to predicted influences. If such a computer found itself in a situation whih wasn't forseen by its creator, then it would not be able to adapt or change, and would fail.

So it doesn't matter how fast our computers get, until we can develop a new computational model, computers wont ever reach true sentience.

29th Oct, 2004 - 1:25am / Post ID: #

Intelligence What

QUOTE (LDS_forever @ 16-Apr 04, 12:27 AM)
I think machines will never replaced man in all senses. No matter how inventive we are and how much technology we have, brains is something nobody can really invent.

If humans are not replaced by machines in all senses, then it's ok, we can still control them.

If we are replaced in all senses, then who cares? the machines will be as good as humans - the same as us. Conclusion - all of these sci fi about machines taking over the world are stupid, because if we create them to be such, they will also develop emotions, and they would be exactly like a regular human being.

29th Oct, 2004 - 4:41pm / Post ID: #

What Is Intelligence?

I've been thinking a bit about this subject. I, personally, think that intelligence is an eternal quality, even an eternal object, that is brought forth in each of us. I could go a bit into the religious or mystical aspects of it, but will just stop with the idea that I really don't think it is within the capability of mortal humans to "create" intelligence. We may be able to mimic it to a certain extent, but never really create it.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
30th Oct, 2004 - 1:06am / Post ID: #

What Intelligence

I don't get actually how we can build an intelligence bigger than ours. All we can do to mimic intelligence in a machine is teach it what we know. When you see this do this. But how can we teach it something we do not know.

Maybe if we can somehow teach it the process of learning, provide a huge memory, and then run the machine through some facts, it can learn more efficiently than human beings and maybe spot some details we haven't thought about.

Post Date: 3rd Feb, 2005 - 5:47am / Post ID: #

What Is Intelligence?
A Friend

What Intelligence Sciences Education Art Writing & UFO

I think that intelligence cannot be taught or learned. Knowledge can be learned and taught, but I have met smart people who are not intelligent. That is to say, they know what they have learned but are unable to look at themselves and see a problem and adjust.

One day we will have very knowledgable and very intuitive machines, but I doubt that in my lifetime we will ever see a true AI created. For that to happen, a machine would have to be able to learn from emotion and introspect to modify its own behavior. At current, the best we can hope for is a computer that can act of multiple reactions and responses that are programmed into it with pre programmed responses and adjustments.

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: What Is Intelligence?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,