Story/book Idea: The Journeys Of Jonathon Wilder

Story/book Idea Journeys Jonathon Wilder - Sciences, Education, Art, Writing, UFO - Posted: 8th Oct, 2011 - 12:18am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
26th Jun, 2011 - 4:20am / Post ID: #

This is a story idea, and eventual book I have planned, I have been working on for a few months. Yet as I am still considering everything I can about the title character, I have felt I would try Jonathon in a veriaty of settings and even role-playing games. I have even considered using a version of Jonathon in a D&D campaign I am working on. But to move on... And I would like constructive criticism as well as a poster's thoughts on my idea as well as on Jonathon Wilder himself. Will post more on Jonathon's traveling compantion Aesha, in addition to being his 'familiar', after I get peoples thoughts on Jonathon. Also, this is not everything I have on Jonathon, there is much more I could put.
---------------------------------------------------------------

Jonathon is tall, charming, and handsome. He has impeccable manners, as well as being able to speak well in at least 5 different languages because of all the traveling he has done, and is classically trained in a variety of instruments. His greatest skill though is with the violin, an instrument he has practiced and perfected using since he was a child and for around 300 years. He is a weaver of fascinating stories and has studied history as well as the myths, legends and folklore of many lands. He is always well dress in a suit, and understands the importance of looking one's best. He is also a skilled user of magic with focus on grand illusions. He is also immortal... Though he has come to hate this fact as it was because of his immortality that his wife and children were killed as well as the fact it has allowed him to become so skilled in some areas that few things are a real challenge anymore.

Yet he also hides his true self from just about every, only Aesha knowing just what he has gone through. He is haunted literally and figuratively by demons of his past. He is almost completely unable to form any lasting attachments, let alone have a normal love life. He suffers from nightmares and is emotionally distant from those that he meets, yet somehow he is still able to almost always able to keep a smile on his face. He is a skilled illusionist but also uses these illusion to make sure no one comes close to understanding or getting to know him. He is prone to impulsiveness and does not often take the time to think things through before acting on what is going on around him. He also relies too heavily on his magic and if he were to lose the ability to use his magic he would be very venerable to attack, even death. In addition... he rarely fights. He doesn't often get involved in the affairs of other and the world at large, though his services can be bought if a suitable price is paid.

In many ways his problems, particularly his demons, are to a large extent psychosis in nature. He may be skilled and even powerful, yet he is very broken and even a bit mentally unstable. If it wasn't for Aesha he would have most likely fallen to madness ages ago. Yet because Aesha is always by his side as his only real friend he is able to make it through his days with his sanity relatively intact. His demons are an interesting case when it comes to being Jonathon's main antagonists. They are real in just about every sense of the word, as well as being permanent, something Jonathon's other illusions have never been. In a very real way Jonathon's demons are literally the emotions in which they represent (Rage, Pain, Sorrow, and later Longing). You see while Jonathon can if he wishes make his illusions real and have them physically effect his world, yet they are not permanent. No matter how powerful the spells in which he uses they are never permanent as reflection to the fact that few things or people in his life are permanent. Jonathon's demons on the other hand are permanent as they represent emotions and regret he has yet to let go of or resolve. What Jonathon has yet to realize is that his demons have power over him, that they are a danger to him and others, because he believes it to be so. What he has not realized, nor will he for quite some time, is that in his long search for a means of getting rid of his demons is something he has had the means to do all along.

His goal in live (and to a large extent the basic plotline of the story)... To be rid of the demons that haunt him as well as find a way that he can be mortal. To grow old and eventually die. To be able to fall in love again. This is what he seeks... Not riches, not prestige, not power... But for peace, a normal life, and the ability to love again as well as form lasting relationships. Through this he will have many adventures of sorts, meet interesting people, as well as learn and discover much of the world around him.

Reconcile Edited: Thomaslee on 26th Jun, 2011 - 7:37pm

Sponsored Links:
2nd Jul, 2011 - 1:13am / Post ID: #

Wilder Jonathon Journeys Idea Storybook

Thomaslee, interesting thoughts and ideas. As I was reading it, I could almost picture "Jonathon" in mind. It's funny though because I was going to tell you that I didn't like the name (kind of funny and confusing) but then when I read more I realized that the character is unique and because of that he definetely sounds like "Jonathon" instead of "Jonathan". It would be interesting to read how he's able to reach some sort of balance and self control without the help of his traveling companion, I believe this will probably be his greatest challenge.

2nd Jul, 2011 - 4:42am / Post ID: #

Story/book Idea: The Journeys Of Jonathon Wilder UFO & Writing Art Education Sciences

Thank you for your reply Sleuth. smile.gif
I would just like to say that I'm glad you find Jonathon interesting as I put a lot of thought and work into him. He is without a doubt the most detailed character I have ever created.

international QUOTE
It I would be interesting to read how he's able to reach some sort of balance and self control without the help of his traveling companion, I believe this will probably be his greatest challenge.

That is my plan, though his traveling companion Aesha will always be seen by Jonathon as needed.

Here is an update on his history:
Jonathon was born in the early 17th Century England. When young, it was clear that he was a prodigy, when he first picked up a violin, Jonathon learned how to play it in less than half the time it took his peers, and he mastered this instrument at the age of 10. He later branched out to other instruments like the flute, the clarinet, the piano and the harp. He started composing beautiful pieces of music at the age of 17, but he soon found this tiresome. He then started schooling outside of England with a focus on Writing, English, History, and fencing. It was here that he found a love of reading, not only history, but also fables, fairy tales, myths, legends, and most other works of fiction. It was during this time that he discovered magic, and in a short amount of time, he could create physical illusions of the creatures and characters from the books he has read. By this time, about thirty years had gone by since he had left his family. When he returned to his family, they feared him as it was clear he had not aged since they say him last. Jonathon was forced away, shunned by the only family he knew. It was around this time that Jonathon saw he could not age, nor could he ever grow sick. Many would have seen this as a blessing along with his prodigy-like abilities, but Jonathon saw it all as a curse.
Jonathon was foolish, though, not understanding everything this could mean"¦ like when it came to falling in love. Her name was Gabriela and she was a true beauty. Kind, loving"¦ she believed in him, understood him, and even accepted the fact Jonathon was different. It was the happiest time of his long live. They had three wonderful children, and because of Jonathon's skills, they grew to live comfortably and had no worry for money, but it all ended in tragedy. The people in the town they lived in grew suspicious of the fact that Jonathon had not seemed to have aged a day in the years he and his family had lived there. A mob was formed and, while Jonathon was out on an assignment for his work, they broke into his home. Working towards killing his wife, thinking she had married a devil, and also killing his children, as they thought they were half breed spawn. Jonathan returned from work during this time, and after seeing what they had done, flew into a cold fury. In his fury he brought forth three of the most dangerous and terrifying monsters his imagination could bring forth, ones that showed his rage, his pain, and his sorrow, created with the dark magics he had chosen before never to use"¦ But he lost control of them, and watched as they started destroying the town and killed everyone in their path. He was horrified at what he had created, and to make it even worse"¦ his wife was not completely dead yet, forcing her to see the evil he could make. When Jonathon knelt by his wife's side, he saw she was still alive, and he tried to save her"¦ but she turned away. She said she could never live with, nor even love, a man that would create such evil, and said that if Jonathon really loved her, he would let her die. After much pleading, and trying to have Gabriela change her mind"¦ he finally agreed to what she asked, though it hurt him dearly, and as he watched her die"¦ a part of him died with her.
Jonathon swore to himself he would never fall in love again, nor would he ever use his magic to cause harm to any but the most evil or dangerous of villains. He also promised himself that he would never allow himself to grow so angry as to cause himself to bring forth his inner demons again. He also promised himself he would find a way to destroy these inner demons he had created.
Years flew by like a blur, but they were not peaceful, as the demons he had created tormented him still. Jonathan gave his demons the names Irascor for rage, Volnero for pain, and Aegrimonia for sorrow (actually this names are Latin for what they are). He continued to improve his skills, and his learning in both history and the magical arts. Through the years he has stepped forward to help forces of good, but he never made any true friendships, except his familiar Aesha, a being that usually takes the form of a bat with strong magical energies, which he found during his travels"¦ she became his only friend. Nor did he allow himself to fall in love, as he feared a similar tragedy to that of his beloved Gabriela. He also learned many languages in his travels around the world.
Yet his troubles did not end with just that, oh no"¦ After what would have been the 40th anniversary of Jonathon's marriage to Gabriela, Jonathon finally gives into his longing. Using the same arts that Jonathon had used for his inner demons, and his powers to make physical illusions, Jonathon tried to bring his wife back into his life. This, understandably, ended badly"¦ he succeeded in creating the prefect image of his wife, down to every detail"¦ But it wasn't her"¦ it looked like her, but his wife's personality, her soul, was not there. He had created an abomination of his wife"¦ with Aesha's help he was able to drive his Longing away, barely escaping with his live. The reason why is that, though Longing was not his wife, she had the power to draw Jonathon to her. She calls him into her embrace"¦ but the day he does, he knows that she will bring her claws into his heart.
Jonathon chooses to stay out of most of the conflicts between the heroes and the villains, only fighting when a villain shows himself to be of a significant threat to the world or a country. He will take time to save an innocent life, though, and he will also fight crime here and there, but Jonathon will usually try to stay away from most trouble.
Jonathon has been known to appear around the world to showcase his skills. For example, he will often perform with his musical abilities, or in a magic show. At other times, he may give one of his more impressive displays, his storytelling skills backed with his illusionary art, actually showing his audience the story as he tells it. He may also take a woman he meets on an unforgettable evening, showing her chivalry has not died completely from the world, but he always makes sure never to go too far, as Jonathon fears what might happen, and he will then disappear when the evening is done, never to be seen by the woman ever again.
Has no true "home", but instead has many places of rest all over the world, yet at the same time when he is lonely, hurt, or feeling heart sick he does go back to his old family's home resting in his childhood room, a house that he had bought after they had all passed on.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, before someone asks, yes he did start as a character for a superhero based RPG. But as I saw so much potential I felt I should work to making a book involving Jonathon.

Reconcile Edited: Thomaslee on 2nd Jul, 2011 - 7:28am

14th Jul, 2011 - 2:36pm / Post ID: #

You did take some time into planning this character, a good job by the way. He is by chance a side of you that you are trying to bring out?

6th Sep, 2011 - 12:43am / Post ID: #

Sorry for the late reply, I didn't realize you had posted Zeus.

Now onto your question... Perhaps to an extent. I will admit that I share Jonathon's love of reading, of myths / legends / folklore, as well as history. I have a love of music, particularly the classics. Yet at the same time he can do what I never could. For him, social into action is much easier then it is for me... Yet his interaction are a lie to an extent, a mask. He could be seen in any part of culture, yet he does so because that is he way of feeling normal.

I guess you could say it is because I can connect with the character that he is so detailed, but to be honest I wouldn't want his life. Laughs, even with all his skills and talents his life is very... Unpleasant.

(Thanks for the reminder and correction Persephone)

Reconcile Edited: Thomaslee on 6th Sep, 2011 - 1:58am

6th Sep, 2011 - 2:30am / Post ID: #

Some of the best authors have been known to evolve their own thoughts and characteristics within their characters so its no surprise to me you took that path. Good luck.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
6th Sep, 2011 - 7:48pm / Post ID: #

Story/book Idea Journeys Jonathon Wilder

Yes but an author needs to also be careful with that to, as s/he might ge what is called an Mary Sue/Marty Stu.

I worked hard to balance out his traits by showing a high contrast between Jonathon's positive and negitive characteristics. For example that while he is a highly skilled in a lot of areas and a gentleman. He is socially unable to get close to anyone, impulsive, and has mental issues, What he shows everyone but Aesha a mask, an illusion if you will.

Reconcile Edited: Thomaslee on 6th Sep, 2011 - 8:07pm

8th Oct, 2011 - 12:18am / Post ID: #

Story/book Idea Journeys Jonathon Wilder Sciences Education Art Writing & UFO

Just out of curiosity is this the same Jonathon that your role-playing with in the dark cleric game? if it is then I now understand why you are so persistent on Johnathan being a certain way... Its an experiment.

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: Story/book Idea: The Journeys Of Jonathon Wilder

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,