LDS Position On Hypnosis - Mormon Hypnotist - Page 4 of 5

Name: Grace Country: Title: About Hypnosis - Page 4 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 16th Jul, 2014 - 10:02pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 
Post Date: 16th Mar, 2011 - 5:49pm / Post ID: #

LDS Position On Hypnosis - Mormon Hypnotist - Page 4

Name: NewMom

Comments: I used hypnosis in the birth of 4 of my children and it was a wonderful experience (self-hypnosis). I'm pretty sure if women out there knew more about it, they would quickly "convert". I think the Church approves it as long as is done in the right way.

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 1st Aug, 2011 - 12:16am / Post ID: #

Hypnotist Mormon Hypnosis Position LDS

Name: Moa

Comments: It can be used as a tool of the devil if the person trying to hypnotize you does not have the most sincere of intentions. Remember they are playing with your mind and perception of consciousness.

5th Sep, 2011 - 12:38am / Post ID: #

LDS Position On Hypnosis - Mormon Hypnotist Studies Doctrine Mormon

I will have to know a lot about a person that was doing this. Then again from what I understand it only works if you allow it to. If you are too conscious about the subtle affirmations given then it will do nothing for you.

Post Date: 18th Dec, 2011 - 10:38am / Post ID: #

Page 4 Hypnotist Mormon Hypnosis Position LDS

Name: Daeld

Title: Yet Another HypnoDoc

Comments: I am another faithful and active Latter-day Saint. I am a medical doctor who is also well trained in clinical hypnosis. As has already been said, the Church Handbook of Instructions is very clear: Hypnosis is OK when used appropriately in a therapeutic setting with a competent practitioner, but entertainment and demonstration purposes should be avoided.

No reason is given.

It is interesting that the Church's stance on Hypnosis was not always so favourable. In 1902 a prominent member strongly counselled to avoid it in any form. I note that even as late as a Q&A in the early 70's, Church members were still counselled to avoid hypnosis. Until relatively recently (the last few decades), many clinical hypnotists also held fast to the myth that the hypnotist has the power to "control the patient's mind". Although this is not what happens in hypnosis, a therapist pretending to remove a patient's agency can be quite detrimental, especially in a vulnerable individual.

Now, of course, we know that what we call "hypnosis" is actually a part of almost everyone's day-to-day life. Clinical hypnotists are, in effect, helping patients to learn to master their ability to call upon this very useful "state".

I am grateful for the Church's position on hypnosis for a few reasons:
1. Hypnosis as entertainment often plays on the illusion and popular culture myth that you can have your agency suspended by hypnosis.

2. As the years have passed, clinical hypnosis has advanced a great deal and nowadays we often try to teach the patient self-hypnosis as soon as possible, thereby internalising the experience of hypnosis and aiding to actually enhance the patient's feeling of self-mastery over their symptom/illness/life. This requires that the patient retains or regains an internal locus of control, which promotes their agency.

4. Although I and others have used it with great benefit in the lives of our patients, it can be misused (just like any other medical treatment/procedure). The Church's position is, therefore protective for us as it implicitly suggests that we should seek a competent practitioner.

It might be interesting to note that almost all reputable clinical hypnosis societies require of their members, as a condition of membership, that they will not use hypnosis for "entertainment" purposes.

Source 1: Church Handbook of Instructions

Post Date: 4th May, 2012 - 12:43pm / Post ID: #

Hypnotist Mormon Hypnosis Position LDS

Name: TwinkleToes

Comments: I'm interested in becoming a genuine ethically trained hypnotherapist because I believe it is a genuine way to for people to change their lives for the better. However, due to those who have been trained and who misuse their training, it has a somewhat poor reputation.

Don't get me wrong, I also know prayers, fasting, the scriptures, and most of all a love for The Saviour can change lives for the better too.

I can understand why Joseph Smith declared 'it was of the devil' because back then so little was known of hypnotherapy benefits, regarding pain, memory-loss and so on.
What I would like to know is - whether I should go ahead and book myself on a genuinely accredited diploma course.
What do other think?

UPDATE: Daeld,
I didn't quite know how to get to the other pages and posted my previous one before seeing your post. I guess I now have some answers.
I'd still appreciate some General feedback though.

Post Date: 4th May, 2012 - 3:42pm / Post ID: #

LDS Position On Hypnosis - Mormon Hypnotist
A Friend

LDS Position On Hypnosis - Mormon Hypnotist

Yes this is one method of self hypnosis, but may not be ACTUAL sleep. Years ago I had a dental phobia, and an LDS friend who was in Dental School at the University of Florida, where I worked at the Medical School made up some tapes to help me get rid of my phobia.

He told me to start listening to the tapes with earphones as I lay in bed before going to sleep.

My wife told me that my breathing would become slow, regular, and deep, but then after thirty to forty minutes, I would immediately sit up and turn the tape player off, and return to "sleep".

I had very little memory of his taped instructions, but after a few sessions the phobia was gone.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
8th May, 2012 - 1:41am / Post ID: #

LDS Position Hypnosis Mormon Hypnotist - Page 4

I can confirm that the audio tapes do work for self-hypnosis but not every audio tape works for everyone. You sort of have to listen to the voice that relaxes you the most and what will work for you. I had to try out several before I stuck with one that works for me.

Post Date: 16th Jul, 2014 - 10:02pm / Post ID: #

LDS Position Hypnosis Mormon Hypnotist Mormon Doctrine Studies - Page 4

Name: Grace

Title: About Hypnosis

Comments: A hypnosis patient will not do anything that is against their will or morals, when in the state of hypnosis.

+  1 2 3 4 5 

> TOPIC: LDS Position On Hypnosis - Mormon Hypnotist

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,