Supreme Court Allows Inauguration Prayers

Supreme Court Inauguration Prayers - General Religious Beliefs - Posted: 20th Jan, 2005 - 9:16pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

Post Date: 19th Jan, 2005 - 6:28pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- The Supreme Court Wednesday rejected an emergency appeal from a California atheist who wanted to block recitation of prayers at President Bush's inaugural ceremonies.

The ruling means prayer ceremonies will proceed as they have in past inaugurations.

Full article can be found here:

https://www.cnn.com/2005/LAW/01/19/scotus.I...ayer/index.html

I posted this topic here rather in the news section because I wanted to discuss the religious aspects of this article and the motivating factors behind what happened. I would prefer this not to be a discussion about the constitutional rights that all of us have to worship what, where, and how we may. Nor do I prefer to focus on the separation between church and state. I want to know why this person would bring such a petition to the courts? What do you think were the emotional and mental motivators behind his actions? Has he possibly had some bad experiences with religion? Is he rebelling against possible spiritual experiences he has had in the past for some reason? Do you think this person is being selfish, self-absorbed, or self-centered for bringing on this lawsuit, or does this man speak up out of sincere desire to make improvements on the way government is doing things in regards to religious practices and to benefit others? I realize that replies will be at best speculation and theories, but I would like to know your perspectives on this.

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 20th Jan, 2005 - 9:33am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Prayers Inauguration Court Supreme

This question interest me very much. As an agnostic of sorts, I do not feel the need to stifle others religious practices either in private or in public. An atheist is supposed to be someone that doesn't believe in God. One without belief. This particular person, it would seem, not only has no belief in God, but most likely an extreme dislike of God. I would think that something at some point happened to him that was very traumatic. He may not disbelieve in God as much as he BLAMES God for what happened to him. I cannot think of another reason someone would go to such extremes to eliminate God or prayer from a situation. The inaugeration really has no direct bearing on or effect of him at all and therefore it shouldn't bother him that they are praying at it.
From my experience, people who are so against anything religious at all usually blame God for something that happened. If not, then they usually aren't this adamant. Take myself for example, while I prescribe to no orthodoxed religion, I have absolutely no problem with prayer in school or in any public forum or arena. Nothing has happened in my life to make me dislike God, which is, in my opinion, why some people try so hard to remove God from public situations.

Post Date: 20th Jan, 2005 - 3:26pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Supreme Court Allows Inauguration Prayers Beliefs Religious General

Oh, so perfectly expressed. (If I could raise your charisma yet, I would smile.gif ) I completely agree with your impressions. I only wonder if I could be missing something? My view of situations like this is limited to my own personal beliefs, so I wondered what other people thought, maybe enlightening my perceptions some. It doesn't seem to me that the practice of most religious beliefs hurts anyone, unless it supports any beliefs or actions that advocate any type of violence, hate, or immorality. This is America, and I always believed we should be tolerant and open-minded about other people's beliefs. I just don't see the purpose from where I stand of this man's actions.

Reconcile Edited: dawnofthenew on 20th Jan, 2005 - 3:38pm

Post Date: 20th Jan, 2005 - 9:16pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Prayers Inauguration Court Supreme

If you take a close look at these type of situations, you will find that the majority of problems tolerating other religious beliefs center completely around Christianity. I'm not sure why, maybe because of the large amount of christians in this country, but non-religious people seem to be most threatened by their (Christians) religious institutions. Another reason could be because Christians are so willing to take arms against other causes publicly such as in the case of homo-sexual marriage. Perhaps the reason they take arm against their public prayer is because Christians will take public voice against other situations as well. Make yourself known through public voice, and you will always make yourself a target. Antagonist rarely go after those who keep silent.

> TOPIC: Supreme Court Allows Inauguration Prayers

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,