Year's Supply

Year' S Supply - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 18th May, 2007 - 8:53pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
Post Date: 3rd May, 2004 - 11:39pm / Post ID: #

Year's Supply
A Friend

Year's Supply

Yesterday in Priesthood meeting, we discussed the importance of getting our year's supply of food and how to go about it and how to use it. The quote below from L. Tom Perry in a recent General Coference was read by the instructor:

As long as I can remember, we have been taught to prepare for the future and to obtain a year's supply of necessities. I would guess that the years of plenty have almost universally caused us to set aside this counsel. I believe the time to disregard this counsel is over. With events in the world today, it must be considered with all seriousness.

The wording Elder Perry used hit me like a ton of bricks, " I believe the time to disregard this counsel is over". I realized that I have largely disregarded this councel over the years. We do have some food storage, but certainly not a year's worth.

What are your thoughts on food storage? Have you disregarded this councel as well?

Sponsored Links:
4th May, 2004 - 12:14am / Post ID: #

Supply Years

You know... I have been meaning to start a topic on this, but never did because we always talk about it as 'by the way', but really, it does deserve a thread of its own. Our food storage is pitiful, more because we have no choice rather than because we do not want to. We realized long ago that to have a real food storage you need to have your own home, a place to keep it and the necessary facilities to store, etc. We rent, and the place is small with no yard for planting. We do try to always buy something extra when we go to the grocery and this has saved us many times so we know the value of it. Outside of Utah I know of few people that actually keep an entire year, most keep a few months, if that. Here is a thread that should be referenced to this one:
https://www.bordeglobal.com/foruminv/index.php?showtopic=5268

Post Date: 4th May, 2004 - 1:13am / Post ID: #

Year's Supply
A Friend

Year's Supply Studies Doctrine Mormon

Over half the members of my Branch have a year's/two year supply. I only had about 3 months, but I have had to use it what with only working part time and not qualifying for food stamps.

In my family, all but my little brother and myself have one to two years food and WATER supply. My older sisters have a two year supply for a family of 12. In their Stake nearly 3/4 of the membership have their 1 to 2 year food supply.

Last year our Relief Society Presidency handed out a list for Food Storage for $5.00 a Week. This is for two people for one year. If you would like the list, PM me with your email address, and I will gladly send it on to you.

As for renting and not having room, I can understand that (been there), but you can raise your beds up off the floor a foot to 18 inches and put plastic tubs underneath with food in them. In bedrooms that have a blank wall, rather than put pictures on the walls, put in shelving units. Closets: up above the clothes rod, put shelves and store food there, and below the shirts and skirts, put in shelves also.

Nearly every kitchen I have ever had the cupboards had so much wasted space! Ask the Landlord for permission to remove the one shelf and install two or three, depending on the interior height. Don't use round canisters, they take up too much room, use rectangle ones, and preferably ones that the lids screw on rather than snap on.

Several couples got together here and rented a storage space together, and that is where they keep an upright Freezer each, and plastic storage shelves and then their food storage. They also went together and bought a generator, so that IF the power goes out they can keep the three freezers running. One of those couples has a single car garage, and they all store barrels of water in there.

As for not having any land to grow vegetables. Do you have a porch or patio or deck? Anywhere you can put several good size pots? The last house I lived in had a postage size back yard, it was mostly cement, but it had a 4 1/2 foot wide porch that went all along the long side of the house. 2/3 of that porch got full sun all day long. I had four 1/4 whiskey barrel size peat pots filled with processed steer blend and grew 6 different leaf lettuces in one, 4 different mints in one, chinese snow peas and arugula and spinach in another. cucumbers, zucchini and marigolds in the last one. Then I had 6 hanging pots with cherry tomatoes in three, basil, chives, & lemon thyme in the others. I forgot about the single Gladiolas that I had growing in a 5 gallon bucket smile.gif That sat on the bottom step. The skimpy little flower garden below the porch was rampant with nasturtiums. Those are great in salads, stuff the flowers with cream cheese that you have added: minced black olives, or minced walnuts, or finely chopped chives, or shrimp pieces. Inside do you have a sunny window? Put your pots there, just filter the sunlight so it doesn't fry your plants.

I prefer to buy bagged processed steer blend for outside pots rather than potting soil. If it is processed to the nth degree and smells like good rich soil, then use it inside too. Here it is 1.29 a bag and potting soil is nearly 3.00 a bag. (same size/wieght).

4th May, 2004 - 3:18am / Post ID: #

Supply Years

I'm always working on food storage smile.gif it sure does come in handy -- especially when I was unemployed for most of a year, we had plenty of food. What a great blessing that was! I've had to replenish a lot of it since beginning to work again, and it's slow going. My folks are exclaiming about "all the food" I had to move ... Mom said "We've never had so much food in the house!" Well, I need to have it, and the water too. It's a real simple matter to gather various foodstuffs and to actually use the food so it doesn't go bad. Don't buy what you won't eat.

Now, of course, I'll be storing for five instead of just three smile.gif Yes, the time for procrastination is over.

Roz

Post Date: 6th May, 2004 - 8:23pm / Post ID: #

Year's Supply
A Friend

Supply Years

The church has a web site...... providentliving.org. A lot of great info regarding preperation etc. Here is the link for food storage. Tons of good info:

https://www.providentliving.org/channel/1,1...,1706-1,00.html

Reconcile Edited: gaucho on 6th May, 2004 - 8:34pm

8th Nov, 2006 - 1:16am / Post ID: #

Year's Supply

Now get this story. It comes directly from a person on a Fundamentalist email list that I read. I have the author's permission to post it.

I had an interesting couple of days. The Stake was checking to see how much food supply each member had and I was contacted by a counselor in the High Priest group in our Ward. He asked me how much I had, so somewhat reluctantly I told him what I had. I decided to ask him how much he had since he had asked me. He said that because of rotation, he had just about nothing, and had not replaced anything. Then he said he would just come over to my home and get some food. I was not excited about his attitude, and so in order to wake him up, I gave him some information and a piece of my mind.

I told him that I had just found out that only 1.5% of the US LDS Church had a one year or more supply of food. Because of this, I was going to be much more careful about who new how much I had, and where it was kept. I also said that I might give a plate of food to him but if my family was short of food, I might not, and I would protect my family with a gun and if provoked, would even kill him in order to protect my family. I said this in order to convert him to action, to get his own food supply. He, trying to make me feel bad about what I said, stated that he would be OK as he and his family would eat grass and leaves.

I found this answer to be offensive, and realized that he hadn't gotten my point. I also mentioned this at Priesthood on sunday, and several Brothers sarcastically asked me where I lived. I told them I had forgotten my address, however, I new the model number of my Smith and Western. I got more sarcasm.

I want you all to know that I would, if possible, eat less, in order to help with some ones food needs. I would also protect my family with my gun, from evil people trying to take my food, which would possible cause my family to die.

This whole episode makes me realize that it will not be the LDS and Fundamentalists against the Gentiles and Government. It will be the unprepared LDS, of which there are MANY, the Gentiles, and Government, against the Prepared LDS and Fundamentalists. Since there are only about 1.5% of the US Church with a year or more food supply, and what ever amount of food that Fundamentalists have prepared, they REALLY had better be together at a "Gathering" place for protection by God. Good luck to all of you that are prepared. (No, I am not over stating this problem)

Today, he sent me this little note.
He reported that of all the ward families, about 172 total, only ONE
family had a year or more of food storage.  Amazing!

What do you think of this situation. If you had a full year's supply of food and clothing, would you be willing to disclose this information to such a person?

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
8th Nov, 2006 - 1:34am / Post ID: #

Year's Supply

Incredible story. I am sure a lot of people made fun of his comments on Church because members tend to take these things very lightly but he was right, I would also get probably mad if the leader who is calling me to find out about my food storage tells me:

Then he said he would just come over to my home and get some food.

*shaking head* No, I would probably not disclose that information to anyone.

Post Date: 18th May, 2007 - 8:53pm / Post ID: #

Year's Supply
A Friend

Year's Supply Mormon Doctrine Studies

Outside of Utah I know of few people that actually keep an entire year, most keep a few months, if that.

I don't have any statistics to back me up, but my personal experience living in various places in western Canada contradicts this. My mom has always kept a year's supply, as have many of my friends. We're definitely not at 100% in our ward, but neither are we close to 0%. One friend who has truly inspired me lives in a two bedroom town house on campus with three kids, and yet has diligently stored a complete year's supply. They took the bed idea to the extreme. They have so many boxes under their bed that it is at least four feet off the floor. They use a chest at the end of the bed to help them get on and off. It has the added advantage of keeping the kids from crowding the bed in the middle of the night wink.gif .

A couple of things have motivated me to get on the ball over the last few months and finish up my year's supply. The first is the new recommendations on the provident living website. Under family home storage they list four points:
1) A three month supply of the food you regularly eat.
2)Drinking Water
3) A financial reserve
4)A year's supply of the basics, which they defined to be 25 lb grain and 5 lb beans per month per person.

I love these new recommendations, since they are simple and attainable. I no longer have to feel guilty about not storing a ton of powdered milk which is expensive, spoils easy, and I don't like to eat. Grains and beans have a shelf life of over 30 years and tend to be fairly cheap. I added oil and salt to my personal "must have" list, since I know how much better my beans taste with those two simple ingredients. These guidelines also cater to the world wide nature of the church, since they can be adapted to each family's personal eating habits (our family eats a lot of rice, therefore I store a lot of rice).

The second thing that motivated me was a vision that a friend shared with me. She said that she walked into her local grocery store and all of a sudden had a vision of the shelves being completely empty. It made me think about how dependent we are on the continual shipping of goods. All it takes is a trucker strike for the stores to empty out in a hurry, let alone some major disaster.

So, in a crisis situation, would I share my home storage with those who are less prepared? I don't know. In a short term crisis the beauty of a large storage is that you can share with others in need. In a longer term crisis things would not be as clear cut. I was reading an interesting article by Roger K. Young entitled "Tent cities in the Last Days?" (available at Tent Cities I don't know if I buy into all that he says, but one interesting analogy he makes is from the story of Noah:
Noah was a just and a perfect man in his generation and he, along with his three sons, walked with God. Noah's daughters, who had married wicked husbands, did not heed their father's counsel and died along with the other wicked. How hard it must have been for Noah and his wife and sons to not extend mercy to their family members, especially when it started to rain. The question might be asked...why didn't they open the doors of the ark and let them in, or perhaps others in? The answer is because the Lord wouldn't let them. The Lord had foreseen the problem and had taken care of it by taking it out of the hands of Noah. We read that the Lord shut the door or shut Noah and his family into the ark.
"And they that went in, went in male and female of all flesh, as God had commanded him: and the LORD shut him in."
I am sure that when the rain started and the floods started coming up that there were a lot of people who were suddenly very repentant and asked to be let into the ark. Could you imagine what it sounded like for those inside the ark to hear the screams, pleas and pounding of those, including children, outside of the ark? And yet the Lord in his wisdom did not give Noah the difficult choice of whether to show mercy and open the door and save them also or not. The Lord took Noah out of the decision making process on the issue. Instead we find that the Lord suffered them to receive the just consequences (death by drowning) of their non-action to heed the counsel of preparedness.

Perhaps in the end the decision will be made for us.

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: Year's Supply

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,