Richard Paul Evans banned from Deseret Book

Richard Paul Evans Banned Deseret Book - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 23rd Oct, 2003 - 1:57am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 
Top  Richard Paul Evans banned Deseret Book What is the real policy for deciding what is acceptable reading or not by Deseret Book?
16th Nov, 2002 - 1:03pm / Post ID: #

If you like the books from Richard Paul Evans you might want to check out this:

international QUOTE
SALT LAKE CITY (AP) -- Richard Paul Evans, author of "The Christmas Box," Has a new book on the shelves Book.
The chain of bookstores, owned by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, has decided not to stock copies of the best-selling author's latest book, "The Last
Promise," Because it doesn't meet the church's new standards for "Moral content."
The book is about an American woman living in Italy who, in the face of an abusive relationship with her husband, turns to another man for emotional support and, eventually, romance.  
Evans said he is surprised by the negative reaction, especially since the affair between the woman and her male friend is never consummated. The theme is love,
Not sex, he said.
Though the process has just begun, store employees will eventually comb through all 250,000 titles in the stores' inventory to remove other books that might offend, Dew said.
"Now, everyone wants to read the book and see what is so controversial," He said.
"What is really telling is that not a single one of the LDS booksellers, and there are hundreds of them, has batted an eye," Evans said. "They've upped their orders."
Source: CNN Entertainment

Richard Paul Evans banned from Deseret Book (Hover)

Sponsored Links:
17th Nov, 2002 - 1:06am / Post ID: #

Book Deseret banned Evans Paul Richard

" because it doesn't meet the church's new standards for "moral content."

I wonder what they mean by 'new' standards.

18th Nov, 2002 - 3:34pm / Post ID: #

Richard Paul Evans banned from Deseret Book Studies Doctrine Mormon

I guess they mean that before they didn't have strong rules about what kind of books should be sold in Deseret Book and now they're being more strict in the kind of literature they're selling there, after all they represent the Church.

21st Oct, 2003 - 9:15pm / Post ID: #

I am glad that Deseret Books has taken this stand.  I can know of a certainty that if I have purchased a book or other product from them, that I don't need to worry about offensive content, at least in terms of offending me with stuff contrary to gospel teachings.

We need more companies to do the same, not just Church sponsored, but I think LDS bookstores should also follow this standard.  Just my opinion, but if more people were choosey about this, then less of it would exist.  

21st Oct, 2003 - 9:26pm / Post ID: #

But there are a lot of books that they still have on their shelves that are written by members who were excommunicated for the same said material. Maybe there is a 'slow' check on these things?

22nd Oct, 2003 - 12:51am / Post ID: #

Tena,  I understand what you mean, I agree with it until a certain extent. Deseret Books is not officially endorsed by the Church (yes even though the CEO was a counselor in the RS general presidency) Deseret Books is not the Church Distribution center, therefore, the authors have the right to place their books in the store and the people the free agency to choose what they want to buy. It seems like Deseret Books not always check the books they place in their shelves because you cannot tell an author one day yes and the next day no. It doesn't make sense to me. And yes JB, they still having books by members who were excommunicated.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
22nd Oct, 2003 - 11:24am / Post ID: #

Richard Paul Evans banned Deseret Book

LDS I agree that the authors have the right to sell their books and that Deseret Books and other LDS bookstores have the right to sell them as well.  I just wish they wouldn't.  I am not suggesting that we ban them from publication, but I would rather see them sold at non-religous book stores.  This way, when I am in a religious book store I can let my guard down and just browse without worrying that I might find something less than uplifting.

I don't believe in censorship, but I do believe in a time and a place for everything.

23rd Oct, 2003 - 1:57am / Post ID: #

Richard Paul Evans banned Deseret Book Mormon Doctrine Studies

LDS I agree that the authors have the right to sell their books and that Deseret Books and other LDS bookstores have the right to sell them as well.  I just wish they wouldn't.  I am not suggesting that we ban them from publication, but I would rather see them sold at non-religous book stores.

Why they should sold it at non-religious book store when the book itself is NOT about LDS characters in the first place?. The only reason was in Deseret Books is because the guy is a member, that's all. And the story of romance in the book is NOT about sex.

+  1 2 3 4 

> TOPIC: Richard Paul Evans banned from Deseret Book

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,