What Is Intelligence?

What Intelligence - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 21st May, 2004 - 9:59am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 
Post Date: 18th May, 2004 - 5:23am / Post ID: #

What Is Intelligence?
A Friend

What Is Intelligence?

Prior to this Earth life, we lived with our Heavenly parents as their spirit children. Nobody knows how long we lived in this pre-mortal state but there was a beginning to our existence as spirits. Prior to that, we were intelligences. Not sure I know what an intelligence is exactly. Maybe nobody does. But there is a scripture in the Doctrine and Covenants that mentions it.

From what I've read, in the beginning, we were all intelligences and over a period of possibly eons of time, we have gone through very extensive testing. Those intelligences that showed a greater capacity for learning and obedience were selected to progress and become more than those with lesser capacity. Somewhere along the line of this extensive testing, eternal assignments were made depending on each one's ability.

For example, one may have progressed to a point where he was assigned to become a tree. Another may have become an animal such as a dog, another maybe a small insect. Those that showed the greatest capacity of all, were selected to become spirit children of God, created in his own image.

Not exactly the type of material you find in the Gospel Doctrine class, but certainly food for thought. There are so many life forms, all created by God but did we all start from the same beginning? Did we progress to the point where we were selected to be the offspring of God? Or were we from the beginning destined to be human only? Was a mosquito always destined to be a mosquito? or could this tiny insect have been more advanced had he shown greater capacity?

Sponsored Links:
19th May, 2004 - 3:51am / Post ID: #

Intelligence What

Where did you read this, about bugs and animals and trees? That's very interesting. Do you have a reference or a link?

Thanks,
Roz

Post Date: 19th May, 2004 - 5:35am / Post ID: #

What Is Intelligence?
A Friend

What Is Intelligence? Studies Doctrine Mormon

QUOTE (FarSeer @ 19-May 04, 3:51 AM)
Where did you read this, about bugs and animals and trees? That's very interesting. Do you have a reference or a link?

Thanks,
Roz

I read this in a book by Eric Skousen called Earth in the Beginning. A very interesting read, i bought it a year or two ago from Deseret Book. Here's a link to a review of the book. Don't forgt to click where it says Reader Reviews.

https://deseretbook.com/store/product?product_id=100028498

I'm pretty sure it is not church doctrine about how we progressed to be what we are today, but it makes sense. I've always wondered how it was determined who was going to be a human being and who would be a dog for instance. We've always been taught that we were born spiritually and existed with God as his offspring before this life, but we don't know much about what we were prior to becoming spirit children of our heavenly parents. This book gives a possible theory on how it happened.

19th May, 2004 - 4:54pm / Post ID: #

Intelligence What

It's quite long, but this is the talk I think you want. It's by Cleon Skousen and it is called Gospel Trilogy...

* Link removed - it no longer works *

Very interesting!

Dubhdara.

Post Date: 19th May, 2004 - 9:53pm / Post ID: #

What Is Intelligence?
A Friend

Intelligence What

Wow, great talk. It gives a deeper understanding to the Atonement. Also, it appears many intelligences chose who they would be. Not all necessarily wanted to be in the image of God. Maybe some wanted to be a plant or an animal. Another point made was each round of creation requires a redeemer. We discussed this before with some beleiving Christ's atonement was for this world only while others believe it encompasses all of God's creations. This still is not settled as we don't know if this round of creation was specific to our Earth.

Thanks for the link. By the way, the author of the book I referenced above is Cleon Skousen's son.

21st May, 2004 - 7:53am / Post ID: #

What Is Intelligence?

Well, thank you for that link, dubhdara! I just got hit with a bolt of lightning.

How many members of the church actually read about these things? Am I the only ignorant person in the world?? I have this information available to me and I never before actually thought it important enough to read, because the few times I attempted it, it didn't make sense to me. (insert cosmic "DUH" right here)

Roz
(on a new mission of learning and reading)

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
21st May, 2004 - 9:28am / Post ID: #

What Intelligence

No, you are not the only one. I don't think that very many members seek out further knowledge, only reaffirmation of what they already know. That is why so many shallow books are available from Deseret Books, but very few with any real discussion of depth.

I also read most of the linked article. I hope to finish it. Some amazing insights, especially the idea of only two things in the universe, things to act, and things to act upon, with everything being variations of the two.

I have also been thinking a lot about the idea of where I exist, in relationship to my body.

Some real depth in this discussion.

21st May, 2004 - 9:59am / Post ID: #

What Intelligence Mormon Doctrine Studies

I printed it out, have read it three times, and have looked up most of the references. (I have trouble with my JoD CD sometimes...) Wonderful outline of this deeper doctrine that I had not a clue about.

Offtopic but,
A friend of mine, who is agnostic but very curious about LDS doctrine, is going to *love* this smile.gif

Roz

Reconcile Edited: FarSeer on 21st May, 2004 - 10:01am

+  1 2 3 4 

> TOPIC: What Is Intelligence?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,