What I need to Serve a Mormon Mission?

What Serve Mormon Mission - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 26th Oct, 2009 - 12:00am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
Preparing to go on a LDS mission. For those planning to go on a mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.
Post Date: 18th May, 2004 - 4:16pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

international QUOTE (grouptt @ 18-May 04, 3:59 PM)
hi I will like to find out what procedures are taken before anyone can go on a mission

First of all, a young man must be at least 19 years old and a young woman 21 years old. There is also a maximum age for men but not for women. I think it's 26 years old but I'm not sure. But anyway, age is not the main factor. Prior to serving a mission, the individual must have a strong testimony of the Restored Gospel and a burning desire to serve the Lord. He or she must be free of major transgression, living the commandments to the best of his ability. You then need to go to your Bishop and discuss the possibility of serving. He will interview you and determine if you are ready to serve. There's also the matter of finances, someone has to pay for the mission which is currently $375 US per month. If you don't have the ability to pay, the ward may or may not be able to help. The church has recently raised the bar so to speak to qualify for a mission, so I may have left some details out, but that is basically it.

Sponsored Links:
18th May, 2004 - 7:57pm / Post ID: #

Mission Mormon Serve need What

I second what Gaucho has said and will add that if you make efforts to go out with the missionaries BEFORE you start your own mission you will find it so much easier to learn the discussions and teach in the field.

22nd May, 2004 - 3:29am / Post ID: #

What I need to Serve a Mormon Mission? Studies Doctrine Mormon

In Argentina the young men and women preparing to go to their missions go in 'mini-missions' they stay with the missionaries for approx. 2 weeks, they dress like missionaries and they follow the same rules that the missionaries follow. I heard great experiences about them and it really help them to know how to get along with their future companions. smile.gif

Post Date: 26th May, 2007 - 12:45am / Post ID: #

"The single most important thing you can do to prepare for a call to serve is to become a missionary long before you go on a mission. Please notice that . . . I emphasized becoming rather than going. . . .

". . It is possible . . . to go on a mission and not become a missionary, and this is not what the Lord requires or what the Church needs."

(David A. Bednar, "Becoming a Missionary," Ensign, Nov. 2005, 45)

Post Date: 4th Oct, 2007 - 5:34am / Post ID: #

A Friend

I really agree with what Joseph has said and quoted..
Just as you will have the advantage in the next life if you gain knowledge and understanding, so will it be for your missionary efforts. The sooner you start pulling out the missionary lessons, studying them, and learning the scriptures that confirm the lessons, the stronger your testimony and teaching ability will become.
Your missionary experiences can anchor your testimony for the rest of your life.

4th Dec, 2008 - 7:45pm / Post ID: #

Here are a few things I wished I did BEFORE my mission: (not in order)
Read Preach My Gospel (this came out after my mission, for me it was the missionary discussions).
Start memorizing all the Scripture Mastery verses, and all other scripture verses in Preach My Gospel.
Read ALL the scriptures; Bible, Book of Mormon, Doctrine and Covenants, and Pearl of Great Price; cover to cover, every page, and every word!
On the churches internet site, lds.org, you can search for different subjects, like missionary work, read as many articles that you can.
The Gospel topic page is: Source 5
Talk to the missionaries in your area, ask them what you can do, also ask if they can give you a missionary lesson so you will become familiar on how to teach one. While you"re at it go with them, and help them, teaching someone the gospel.
Do your Home/Visiting Teaching, if your Bishop hasn't given you a Home/Visiting Teaching partner then ask that he give you one. This will help you to become comfortable teaching someone the gospel in his or her house.
Become familiar with the basics of the gospel: The Plan of Salvation; The Atonement of Jesus Christ; ect.
Learn how to cook, clean, do your laundry, FOR YOURSELF!
Start saving for your mission, not only for the $375 a month, but for the other expenses, like white shirts, a dark (I would suggest a black) suit, a journal, a bike (most missions expect you to buy a bike, if you are go to a bike riding area), a book bag. All of this can cost hundreds of dollars.
Learn how to budget money, remember that money donated for missionary work is the Lord's money and should be treated as such.
A mission to Alaska, and a mission near Death Valley, will have vastly different clothing requirements, so don't buy coats, or sunscreen until you get your mission call.
Talk to your Bishop, this is the most important one since he will tell you not only of physical preparations you will need but will tell you of spiritual preparations you will need to have before your mission.

Reconcile Edited: haleray on 4th Dec, 2008 - 7:47pm

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
25th Oct, 2009 - 5:43pm / Post ID: #

What need Serve Mormon Mission

Haleray along with the other messages above gave excellent advice for anyone willing to serve the Lord. I just want to emphasize that having a love for the Lord before you serve will help you tremendously in the beginning months.

26th Oct, 2009 - 12:00am / Post ID: #

What need Serve Mormon Mission Mormon Doctrine Studies

I agree with you LDS expert, most of this thread has focused on the physical aspect of getting ready for a mission, but the most part of getting ready is to love the Lord, and wanting to go on a mission. Fast and pray, ask your family to do the same, especially if your not sure on what to do.

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: What I need to Serve a Mormon Mission?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,