British Trinidadian Rejected In Trinidad - Page 2 of 3

I understand. It's not worth worrying - Page 2 - Trinidad, Tobago / Caribbean - Posted: 4th Sep, 2008 - 2:40pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 
3rd Sep, 2008 - 5:04pm / Post ID: #

British Trinidadian Rejected In Trinidad - Page 2

Quasar:

I figure there are still hard feelings over British occupation of India for so long.

Perhaps, but most Indians (,I.e. Indians from India) see the British Raj period as a blip in their history and something they will get over from in time. Besides, it's possible that during the course of this century, India would be a more prominent player in the world than the UK, so they might have the last laugh.

And it was the British who enslaved the ancestors of Afro-Trinis, but few black Trinis I've met have voiced any ill feeling towards the British for this.

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 3rd Sep, 2008 - 5:52pm / Post ID: #

British Trinidadian Rejected In Trinidad
A Friend

Trinidad Rejected Trinidadian British

ca1979 I am sure you are a good chap, but I believe that the english have pretty much written written the history of most of the countries it has occupied.

Much like our American history forgot the Native Americans for so long. And some religious groups like the Seventh day adventice and the lds.

The English occupation of India was not a happy happy joy joy time. And they didn't bring civilization.

Read up on Gandhi.

I am not much of a bleeding heart though. Everyone should have put up a better fight to start with. Including the English commoner for letting this happen.

The Indians really should have put up a better fight to. It is hard to believe that a small Island like England controlled the world by it's military might! Actually it is very impressive. They beat everybody up.

How a hand full of brits could hold off millions of people is just ridiculous.

3rd Sep, 2008 - 5:59pm / Post ID: #

British Trinidadian Rejected In Trinidad Caribbean / Tobago & Trinidad

Folks, this is the Trinidad & Tobago Board. I have already placed a link if you want to talk about British Colonization in general terms. The title of this Thread is: British Trinidadian Rejected In Trinidad.

4th Sep, 2008 - 12:35am / Post ID: #

Page 2 Trinidad Rejected Trinidadian British

I think in general people in Trinidad are quite friendly and accepting. So I don't think being foreign would be that much of a turn off or obstacle.

One thing though that I've noticed is that traders in the market would often raise their prices once they hear your accent. They think because you're foreign that you must be high to do and can afford higher prices. I guess it's their right to do so in a sense, since it's their goods and thus their right to sell it at any price they want. Still seems a bit dishonest though.

4th Sep, 2008 - 12:40am / Post ID: #

Trinidad Rejected Trinidadian British

One thing though that I've noticed is that traders in the market would often raise their prices once they hear your accent.

Maybe they are hoping you pull out some extra 'queen dollars' and give them for being nice. You have to expect frausters anywhere you go and well you are in the market, not exactly the most honourable of places.

4th Sep, 2008 - 10:40am / Post ID: #

British Trinidadian Rejected In Trinidad

I guess so. It doesn't really bother me that much since of course not everyone in the world is honest. I guess it's caveat emptor and all that.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
4th Sep, 2008 - 1:11pm / Post ID: #

British Trinidadian Rejected Trinidad - Page 2

Cal1979 what you pointed out is not unique to Trini it is common across the board in every country it is called grab the tourist bucks as fast as you can.

Canada is a huge country and the same effect can be seen when traveling province to province even just buy going from one part of a province to the next.

Please keep in ind I live in Ontario and that means from Toronto you can travel 18 hours and not leave the province. So it is like leaving one culture and driving into a second one from Toronto stands out like a sore thumb up in the central Ontario and they both stand out in the northern quadrant. Your price on supplies will be more then a local boy. After all you are not likely to ever come back so we will grab what monies we can before you leave.

A married couple I know went back to visit their parents in Trini and she was real upset as when she would go to the market all the prices for her were inflated because she had become Canadianized and stood out in the crowd.

4th Sep, 2008 - 2:40pm / Post ID: #

British Trinidadian Rejected Trinidad Trinidad & Tobago / Caribbean - Page 2

I understand. It's not worth worrying about since not everybody in the world is honest anyhow. Such is life, I guess.

+  1 2 3 

> TOPIC: British Trinidadian Rejected In Trinidad

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,