Three Sisters Called For Duty In Iraq

Three Sisters Called Duty Iraq - Politics, Business, Civil, History - Posted: 22nd May, 2004 - 9:01pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
Post Date: 21st May, 2004 - 6:31am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Now this is a big issue going on in the Army community. You have three sisters deployed at the same time. Just recently one of the sisters was killed. Two of them happened to be identical twins. Now I don't know for sure if one of the twins was killed or not. But right now , the two surviving sisters are on emergency leave for the funeral. The parents have contacted their Congressman about the situation. The parents are requesting their two remaining daughters , be reassigned to a non-hostile environment. (U.S.) The last time I heard , the reassignment had been approved. But they left it up to the sisters to decide. The Army ended up giving them a 15 day extension to come up with a final decision. If that were me , I would choose the reassignment. Hopefully they will choose not to return to Iraq. I would hate to hear about one of them becoming a K.I.A. What are your thoughts on this ?

Sponsored Links:
21st May, 2004 - 9:22am / Post ID: #

Iraq Duty Called Sisters Three

I believe that this is a written policy, to allow the surviving members of a family to come out of the combat zone. I think it is a good policy to allow them to choose, not to force them either way.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 854 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 85.4%

21st May, 2004 - 8:00pm / Post ID: #

Three Sisters Called For Duty In Iraq History & Civil Business Politics

I think it is great that they let the sisters choose. I just can imagine the pain of the family of these girls! I'm sure they cannot wait to have them home cry.gif . If I was the girls, I would definetly ask for another place (mostly to please my family).

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 1089 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 100%

22nd May, 2004 - 11:21am / Post ID: #

They did choose reassignment. I can't say that I blame them. One the one hand they did all sign up for the military and took the benefits so they signed up for the risks. On the other hand though, there immediate family has already made the ultimate sacrifice. Since there is plenty these girls can do for the military while in the states I think it is good to let them serve in a noncombat area. Can you imagine being their parents if they were to go back to the gulf? I cannot imagine how their parents would get through each day with worry!

International Level: Diplomat / Political Participation: 320 ActivistPoliticianDiplomat 32%

22nd May, 2004 - 12:27pm / Post ID: #

The thing now that they did the exception with this girls, probably more cases of brothers or sisters serving together will be asked the same thing undecided.gif or not really?.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 1089 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 100%

22nd May, 2004 - 1:28pm / Post ID: #

Well in order to get the exception one of them has to be killed. This rule is not a new one. It is just not well known because, believe it or not, we don't spend a lot of our time at war. So, if two siblings are in a combat zone and one is killed, the feeling is their family has sacrificed enough and if the other one wants a reassignment they can ask and get it.

International Level: Diplomat / Political Participation: 320 ActivistPoliticianDiplomat 32%

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
22nd May, 2004 - 1:54pm / Post ID: #

Three Sisters Called Duty Iraq

Okay, what about if in this case the sisters asked to return home because they were very depressed or because the family needs them. What would happen?.

22nd May, 2004 - 9:01pm / Post ID: #

Three Sisters Called Duty Iraq Politics Business Civil & History

It isn't likely you can go home just because you are depressed or your family needs you. There are hardship transfers, but they aren't easy to get. If they were, no one would go where they didn't want to be. If they did, though it wouldn't be the same as for a transfer where one member of your immediate family has already been killed in battle. The entire reason for that transfer isn't for the benefit of the soldier it is for the soldier's family. The theory being that family had already made the ultimate sacrifice and shouldn't be expected to risk more. Many don't ask for the transfer home when one sibling dies. Instead they choose to stay with their units. Out of loyalty to their unit or to honor their fallen sibling.

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: Three Sisters Called For Duty In Iraq

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,