Mormons & Marital Intimacy

Mormons Marital Intimacy - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 23rd May, 2004 - 10:23pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 
22nd May, 2004 - 11:05pm / Post ID: #

Recently a thread was started about interviews and what can be asked. Some members once experienced being asked about their s-xual activities (within marriage). Now WITHOUT being GRAPHIC or DETAILED the discussion is... Are there wrong and right ways of being sexually intimate with your spouse? If there was/is, why is it left to each member, are there quotes about it or that suggest such, why was it once part of the interview?

Sponsored Links:
23rd May, 2004 - 12:01am / Post ID: #

Intimacy Marital and Mormons

are there wrong and right ways of being sexually intimate with your spouse? If there was/is, why is it left to each member, are there quotes about it or that suggest such, why was it once part of the interview?

This is a very difficult thing to answer. As latter day Saints we know that in all things we must feel edified, and sexual intimacy is not the exception. When an activity doesn't edified you but makes you feel low and feel vulgar, then you know it is not appropiate. Early Prophets have been very specific about certain sexual practises within a marriage but it seems they stop mentioning them and they let the couple to decide what is right and what is not and I personally agree with it. We cannot have the First Presidency in the middle of our beds in the bedroom.

Post Date: 23rd May, 2004 - 5:31am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Mormons & Marital Intimacy Studies Doctrine Mormon

Click on the link below for a letter from the First presidency back in 1982 regarding interviews and what should be discussed. you'll have to click on page 2 to see where the First presidency stated oral sex is an unholy and inpure practice. I have heard that they sent a follow up letter later recanting this position, as a result of considerable objections from church members, although I have never seen it. I think the follow up letter was supposed to have said that Bishops are not suppose to interpret what is unholy, it is up to each couple to determine this.

https://www.lds-mormon.com/worthy_letter.shtml

23rd May, 2004 - 6:41am / Post ID: #

Thanks for the reference, now I wonder what made them decide to change their minds. Now, if it be true that members began to kick up a storm about it, yet it be unholy, then why rescind it?

23rd May, 2004 - 1:29pm / Post ID: #

I remember when my first husband and I were talking with our bishop once during an interview and this subject came up. The bishop mentioned that when he had interviewed another couple, and told them a particular sexual act was forbidden, the wife piped up and said, "But I like it." The bishop said he nearly fell out of his chair.

It was inappropriate, in my opinion, for the bishop to relate that piece of information to us -- it would have given someone the "head's up" that they had better not admit if they were indulging in that practice, because they would not get their recommends. I don't remember now what it was, but it was in 1981.

Roz

23rd May, 2004 - 6:57pm / Post ID: #

Now, if it be true that members began to kick up a storm about it, yet it be unholy, then why rescind it

Two reasons maybe:

1) The Church realize that sexual intimacy is something too intimate to discuss about, can you imagine the members having tons of questions about sexual practises, whether it is okay or not, sexual positions and other issues? It will even give ideas to already married couples what things they should do. rolleyes.gif Therefore is up to the couple now to decide that.

2) Pressure. As my dear friend Nighthawk would say, 'To please once more Babylon' laugh.gif

I stick with my first point but I don't know really the answer.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
23rd May, 2004 - 10:14pm / Post ID: #

In this case, I don't think that rescinding the original statement was to please Babylon. I think it was more a case that the First Presidency realized that it wasn't appropriate for bishops and branch presidents to be asking such detailed questions. In fact, I have heard stories that when detailed questions are asked, it actually promotes people to search out more information and get involved in such practices.

It may have also been a move away from a bit of legalism.

23rd May, 2004 - 10:23pm / Post ID: #

Mormons & Marital Intimacy Mormon Doctrine Studies

My personal view follows in line with Nighthawk's. Now the next question is what is the right and wrong way of sexual intimacy. The First Presidency has already given us one - they said that oral sex is wrong. This may or may not make you wonder what else may be 'wrong' for you to do in bed, but as it says... we need to find out from the Lord. Sad thing is... so many people seem to get so many different 'answers' from the Lord.

+  1 2 3 

> TOPIC: Mormons & Marital Intimacy

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,