Should Senior Citizens Be Allowed To Drive - Page 2 of 2

When do problems with memory and decision-making - Page 2 - Culture, Family, Travel, Consumer Reviews - Posted: 1st May, 2018 - 8:00am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
Post Date: 20th Apr, 2005 - 2:53am / Post ID: #

Should Senior Citizens Be Allowed To Drive
A Friend

Should Senior Citizens Be Allowed To Drive - Page 2

I think that everyone should have to renew their licenses every 3-5 years. Eye tests are not enough. Everyone should have to take the driving test again. This way no one is discriminated against, and it keeps everyone safe. Another thing this does is keep drivers driving safely, they don't just have to memorize the right way to drive for the test, but they learn it.

Sponsored Links:
20th Apr, 2005 - 11:17am / Post ID: #

Drive Allowed Citizens Senior Should

international QUOTE
I thought that everyone underwent an eye test when they got their license renewed anyway, shouldn't this weed out at least the most severe cases?

In Massachusetts you now only need to do this every other time you renew your license. This is to allow renewal on-line. I renewed my license last June on-line. I didn't need a new picture or an eye test. When I renew again in 2009, I will need to go in person to the registry and take an eye test. This means no eye test for 8 years. I think this might be too lenient, but it is done because of the volume of people who are licensed and the amount of money it takes to process all of these needs in person.

international QUOTE
I think that everyone should have to renew their licenses every 3-5 years. Eye tests are not enough. Everyone should have to take the driving test again.

In theory, this might sound good, but the costs are prohibitive. Far too many people have drivers licenses for you to retest them all every 3-5 years. This would require thousands of new employees and testing centers. I don't see this as a practical solution even though it would definately solve the problem because it would be evident during testing if someone had lost the ability to safely drive.

international QUOTE
I don't have any evidence to back me up but my own experiences, but I feel that older drivers are still safer than young drivers.

I believe the statistics back you up on this. Younger drivers are the most dangerous group. They tend to be much more agressive for example. Many states have begun to raise the minimum driving age or add restrictions to new young drivers for this very reason. For example, newly licensed drivers in Massachusetts under 18 cannot carry any passenger under 18, other than a family member, for the first 6 months that they are licensed.

Post Date: 26th Jan, 2010 - 6:38pm / Post ID: #

Should Senior Citizens Be Allowed To Drive Reviews Consumer & Travel Family Culture

Name: Casey

Comments: I think that they should take a test every 5 years to make sure they can drive as well as everybody else on the road everyday, I mean I know teenagers get in accidents too, but elderly people go way to slow, usually way under the speed limit.

Post Date: 1st May, 2018 - 8:00am / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

Page 2 Drive Allowed Citizens Senior Should

When do problems with memory and decision-making affect older adults' ability to drive? Recently, a team of researchers designed a study to learn more about cognitive health and older drivers' crash risks. The study focused on links between levels of cognitive function and crash risk among older drivers without dementia over a 14-year study period. They also assessed the link between changes in cognitive function over time and later risks of crashes. Source 9e.

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: Should Senior Citizens Be Allowed To Drive

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,