Mormon Calling And Election Made Sure - Page 3 of 16

QUOTE Mosiah 26:20: Thou art my servant; and - Page 3 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 8th Jun, 2004 - 1:17pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 7  ...Latest (16) »
An interesting Topic that has so many implications to it. For those outside of the Church and some within it refers to the promise that Eternal Life will be yours. For others it means something more, even in this life. What are your thoughts about Calling And Election Made Sure?
Post Date: 25th May, 2004 - 3:55pm / Post ID: #

Mormon Calling And Election Made Sure
A Friend

Mormon Calling And Election Made Sure - Page 3

QUOTE (JB@Trinidad @ 24-May 04, 9:26 PM)
This is getting more interesting as each message is added (something new!). Gaucho, if you would, email him and ask him if he still goes to Church, if he feels he still needs to partake of the sacrament, be baptized and so on and so forth. Thanks.

I think he answered this in his original email to me. Below is part of his response.

It is true that I was hunted down and "ordered" to
take down the TOG website on threat of excommuncation.
They went through with it in my absence. To me, it
was irrelevant, I had left the church years before.
To use the Mormon vernacular, I've had my "calling and
election sure" and "overcome death", understanding
fully by experience what it means, so such things as
fear (of excommunication from the LDS church) have no
hold on me any longer.

When one overcomes all, one loses their fear of death,
realizing it is illusory, often by experiencing death
and seeing it for what it is (an illusion). One then
becomes free, sees God face-to-face and comprehends
what it means. One "gives up the body" and takes a
new one. All the things one learns in LDSism are
true, yet not the way they are popularly understood.

Many look to the church, leaders, Jesus, etc., for
their salvation. But, the truth is that salvation is
not through the (LDS) church (the preparatory gospel),
by following the herd, ritualistic practices, or great
effort and achievement. Salvation is free and for
the taking. It is present now, notwithstanding few
know it, having yet to pierce the veil of illusion.

Sponsored Links:
25th May, 2004 - 4:22pm / Post ID: #

Sure Election Calling Mormon

It almost sounds as though this guy feels he is above others. So what does he do now... is there no need to partake the sacrament anymore, no need to enter the temple to do work for the dead, what about home teaching, service and so on? Does making your Call and Election Sure mean you are no longer accountable from doing these things - I think not.

25th May, 2004 - 4:47pm / Post ID: #

Mormon Calling And Election Made Sure Studies Doctrine Mormon

I don't think this guy has really had his election made sure. From reading his e-mail it sounds to me like he is basically asserting that the Church is just an unnecessary thing and that he has on his own ensured his salvation. Someone who would reveal Temple truths on a website after covenanted not to discuss such things out of the Temple hardly sounds like the type of person who would receive such a blessing from the Lord.

3rd Jun, 2004 - 1:40pm / Post ID: #

Page 3 Sure Election Calling Mormon

QUOTE (JB@Trinidad @ 25-May 04, 10:23 AM)
One question though, if the Lord himself is involved in the decision of this ordinance does it require that the Lord specifically tell the Brethren or the person? If the person, then does this mean they inform their leaders of this so the ordinance can be received?

Somehow, I keep missing posts in this topic.

Since the Calling and Election, as I understand it, is actually to have the Lord, Himself, reveal that the person has received this blessing, I think that kind answers itself.

However, I suspect that those who receive the Second Annointing (which is associated with the Calling and Election, but not it, have the revelation that they are to receive it given to their leaders, probably the Prophet and/or one of the Apostles. That goes along with the "don't call us, we'll call you" statement I referred to earlier.

3rd Jun, 2004 - 9:32pm / Post ID: #

Sure Election Calling Mormon

One question though, if the Lord himself is involved in the decision of this ordinance does it require that the Lord specifically tell the Brethren or the person? If the person, then does this mean they inform their leaders of this so the ordinance can be received?

I personally think the person must feel 'ready' to receive and then inform his local leaders about it and then they will contact the Brethren. I cannot see the Brethren receiving it first for obvious reasons of distance and of not knowing the person. If they receive a name, then by prayer they will receive an answer from Heavenly Father.
But something it is very clear to me, those who received the Second Anointing and make their Calling and Election sure are not allowed to tell others about it (just like we do not discuss the things we do in the Temples). The reason I said this is that I'm almost sure several people have received it but they don't talk about it because they are not allowed to.

This is what I found in lds.org about this topic:

"What is necessary to receive this inestimable blessing? The Prophet Joseph said that one must begin at the beginning with the first principles of the gospel:

"When you climb up a ladder, you must begin at the bottom, and ascend step by step, until you arrive at the top; and so it is with the principles of the Gospel-you must begin with the first, and go on until you learn all the principles of exaltation. But it will be a great while after you have passed through the veil before you will have learned them. It is not all to be comprehended in this world; it will be a great work to learn our salvation and exaltation even beyond the grave." (Teachings, p. 348.)

Although the process of obtaining exaltation continues even into the spirit world, the knowledge that one will become exalted with the privileges of continuing on to eternal life can be certain in this life. This is what making one's calling and election sure is all about." (Accepted of the Lord: The Doctrine of Making Your Calling and Election Sure, Roy W. Doxey, Ensign, July 1976, 50).

Concerning this instruction and testimony from Peter, Joseph Smith said: "Though they might hear the voice of God and know that Jesus was the Son of God, this would be no evidence that their election and calling was made sure. "¦ They then would want that more sure word of prophecy, that they were sealed in the heavens and had the promise of eternal life in the kingdom of God. Then, having this promise sealed unto them, it was an anchor to the soul, sure and steadfast. Though the thunders might roll and lightnings flash, and earthquakes bellow, and war gather thick around, yet this hope and knowledge would support the soul in every hour of trial, trouble and tribulation." (Teachings, p. 298.)

As expressed by Elder Bruce R. McConkie:

"To have one's calling and election made sure is to be sealed up unto eternal life; it is to have the unconditional guarantee of exaltation in the highest heaven of the celestial world; it is to receive the assurance of godhood; it is, in effect, to have the day of judgment advanced, so that an inheritance of all the glory and honor of the Father's kingdom is assured prior to the day when the faithful actually enter into the divine presence to sit with Christ in his throne, even as he is 'set down" with his "Father in his throne." (Rev. 3:21.) (Doctrinal New Testament Commentary, Bookcraft, 1973, 3:330-31.)

As Elder McConkie goes on to indicate, the "unconditional guarantee" means that a person's actions have been fully approved, that 'there are no more conditions to be met by the obedient person." (P. 335.) When one has been thus sealed up unto eternal life, he is 'sealed up against all manner of sin except blasphemy against the Holy Ghost and the shedding of innocent blood." (Doctrines of Salvation, 2:46.)

https://library.lds.org/nxt/gateway.dll/Mag...n%20sure%20.htm

I would recommend to read the whole talk, very informative.

"During the latter years of his ministry, in particular, the Prophet Joseph Smith pleaded fervently with the Saints to press forward in righteousness until they made their calling and election sure, until they heard the heavenly voice proclaim: "Son, thou shalt be exalted." (Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, p. 150.)

I think this last statement answers JB's question about who receives the revelation first.

Reconcile Edited: LDS_forever on 3rd Jun, 2004 - 9:55pm

Post Date: 8th Jun, 2004 - 5:31am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Mosiah 26:20:

Thou art my servant; and I covenant with thee that thou shalt have eternal life; and thou shalt serve me and go forth in my name, and shalt gather together my sheep.

The Lord is talking to Alma the elder here, does it sound like he had his calling and election made sure?

How common is this today? I would imagine the First Presidency and Quorum of the twelve have experienced this. But it is not limited to those in high callings. I'm trying to determine what changes I need to make to reach this level. If I should happen to achieve this, I guess I'm not allowed to post it on the board. As far as I know, there may be many in my own ward who have their calling and election made sure, but I kind of doubt it, I believe it is much more rare than that.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
8th Jun, 2004 - 12:13pm / Post ID: #

Mormon Calling Election Sure - Page 3

I think, as you look through the Book of Mormon, that you will find many instances of people having their Callings and Elections made Sure. Alma the Elder (as you pointed out above), Nephi (the son of Helaman & the father of Nephi in 3 Nephi 1:3), Nephi, the son of Nephi (3 Nephi 7:15), all of the 12 mentioned in 3 Nephi, Mormon, Moroni, Abinidi, and the brother of Jared.

As I have said before, I think it is happening frequently. And, as you noted, people who have experienced it wouldn't be telling everyone about it (no, you wouldn't be posting such an experience on this, or any other, public board).

8th Jun, 2004 - 1:17pm / Post ID: #

Mormon Calling Election Sure Mormon Doctrine Studies - Page 3

Mosiah 26:20:

Thou art my servant; and I covenant with thee that thou shalt have eternal life; and thou shalt serve me and go forth in my name, and shalt gather together my sheep.

I don't know that this really is an example of "calling and election made sure." I believe I have been promised eternal life as well, but that doesn't mean my calling and election have been made sure. I don't think there is any question I will receive eternal life, the question is where will I spend it.

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 7  ...Latest (16) »

> TOPIC: Mormon Calling And Election Made Sure

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,