Mormon Calling And Election Made Sure - Page 9 of 16

QUOTE (JB @ 8-Oct 08, 8:38 AM) QUOTE - Page 9 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 8th Oct, 2008 - 10:57pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  « First of 16 pgs.  5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13  ...Latest (16) »
An interesting Topic that has so many implications to it. For those outside of the Church and some within it refers to the promise that Eternal Life will be yours. For others it means something more, even in this life. What are your thoughts about Calling And Election Made Sure?
Post Date: 7th Oct, 2008 - 3:37pm / Post ID: #

Mormon Calling And Election Made Sure
A Friend

Mormon Calling And Election Made Sure - Page 9

QUOTE (Dbackers)
Are you saying those that have had their calling and election made sure, no longer have need of Jesus Christ as a redeemer?

Yes, because the atonement is part of the Lower Aaronic Priesthood. All Aaronic or preparatory priesthood ordinances are focused on the atonement. The atonement itself was an Aaronic Priesthood ordinance and the Lord was not pleased that he had to do it. If he did not love us so much, and want to progress himself by fulfilling his life's mission, he wouldn't have. When the lower law is really fulfilled, then it is no longer needed.
QUOTE (Gal. 3:24-25)
Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.
    But after that faith is come, we are no longer under a schoolmaster.

If you read Gal. 3, you will see that it compares the promise of exaltation with the law of Moses. It makes a number of points, here are some:

18 For if the inheritance be of the law, it is no more of promise: but God gave it to Abraham by promise.
And it is so with all who have the promise of exaltation.
  17 And this I say, that the covenant, that was confirmed before of God in Christ, the law, which was four hundred and thirty years after, cannot disannul, that it should make the promise of none effect.
So the covenant of Law of Moses or the Aaronic priesthood and it's ordinances including faith, repentance, baptism the sacrament and the administration of the atonement cannot "disannul the promise making it of no effect.
Doctrine and covenants says it this way:
QUOTE (D&C 132:26)
Verily, verily, I say unto you, if a man marry a wife according to my word, and they are sealed by the Holy Spirit of promise, according to mine appointment, and he or she shall commit any sin or transgression of the new and everlasting covenant whatever, and all manner of blasphemies, and if they commit no murder wherein they shed innocent blood, yet they shall come forth in the first resurrection, and enter into their exaltation; but they shall be destroyed in the flesh, and shall be delivered unto the buffetings of Satan unto the day of redemption, saith the Lord God.

The new and everlasting covenant begins with testimony and the symbol of following Christ to our deaths and resurrections which is Baptism. It includes all covenants and ordinances and becomes New and everlasting with each one.
Once we have "been redeemed", as you said, do we still need a redeemer?

That they do not need Jesus Christ to be their advocate with the Father at the Last Day?
The "Last Day" has come and gone, and they were found worthy to abide the presence of the Father and the Son. God has given his promise of exaltation without condition on further or future obedience. The criteria has already been met. Only by denying the Holy Ghost which is the messenger of the promise can a person loose their calling and election made sure. If they do it intentionally, and put Christ to an open shame they become sons of perdition.

27 The blasphemy against the Holy Ghost, which shall not be forgiven in the world nor out of the world, is in that ye commit murder wherein ye shed innocent blood, and assent unto my death, after ye have received my new and everlasting covenant, saith the Lord God; and he that bideth not this law can in nowise enter into my glory, but shall be damned, saith the Lord.

Without going into significant detail, the word Assent = agree with, accept, condone, etc.

There is only one way to commit the unpardonable sin. Full awareness of what you are doing is required. Assenting to the death of Christ is part of it. This is because the atonement is no longer able to cover your sins. For more information on this, first read the Day Of Atonement And The Mystery Of Azazel thread and the specific post I made regarding this concept tying this post and te Azazel Thread and agency together in the Loosing our Agency thread.

Or by entering the Church of the First Born, one does not have need of Faith, Baptism, Repentance or the Gift of the Holy Ghost?

You accidentaly associated the Holy Ghost which is the Exalting principle and gift of the Mel. priesthood with the ordinances of the Aaronic Priesthood.

- Faith is now in the promise of God, not Jesus Christ.
- Repentance has been fulfilled as you have completed "The Final Repentance" which is a change of heart in which you now live all the Law and prophets saying via love. Mistakes will happen, but these mistakes are not harmful and are done in love.
- Baptism has fulfilled it's purpose as you are now, having followed Christ a "joint heir with Christ".
- The Holy Ghost is the first Mel. Priesthood blessing and covenant that if obeyed will led you to exaltation. It is added to with the Presence of Jesus Christ, and then the Presence of the Father.

The Holy Ghost is not part of the lower law or Aaronic Priesthood. It is an exalting ordinance, not a saving one.
QUOTE (Heb. 6:1-6)

1 Therefore leaving the principles of the doctrine of Christ, let us go on unto perfection; not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works, and of faith toward God,
  2 Of the doctrine of baptisms, and of laying on of hands, and of resurrection of the dead, and of eternal judgment.
  3 And this will we do, if God permit.
  4 For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost,
  5 And have tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the world to come,
  6 If they shall fall away, to renew them again unto repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame.

Sponsored Links:
7th Oct, 2008 - 6:22pm / Post ID: #

Sure Election Calling Mormon

If the Church of the First Born is practicing higher principles/laws--are they also practicing polygamy?

7th Oct, 2008 - 6:29pm / Post ID: #

Mormon Calling And Election Made Sure Studies Doctrine Mormon

That is a good question, that I was hoping he would make clear in the Plural Marriage Thread, but I think Amonhi has to answer these questions first: Source 8

8th Oct, 2008 - 1:27am / Post ID: #

Page 9 Sure Election Calling Mormon

Christ is the Judge of all mankind including those who have had their calling and election made sure.

10 Even this mortal shall put on immortality, and this corruption shall put on incorruption, and shall be brought to stand before the bar of God, to be judged of him according to their works whether they be good or whether they be evil-

This is explicitly after we have died and received a resurrection, either the resurrection of life eternal or the resurrection of death. This would include all men, even those who believe they have their calling and election made sure.

10 But why dost thou judge thy brother? or why dost thou set at nought thy brother? for we shall all stand before the judgment seat of Christ.

Not a few, not some, All of us. Christ is the door that we all must pass through to return to the Father, and to this extent we will always be indebted to him for his sacrifices.

From
"Judge Not" and Judging
By Elder Dallin H. Oaks

Thus, we must refrain from making final judgments on people because we lack the knowledge and the wisdom to do so. We would even apply the wrong standards. The world's way is to judge competitively between winners and losers. .... First, a righteous judgment must, by definition, be intermediate. It will refrain from declaring that a person has been assured of exaltation or from dismissing a person as being irrevocably bound for hellfire.

It is unwise (according to Elder Oaks) to try to judge if someone is assured exaltation. This is my justification for not being able to know if someone has their calling and election made sure (which is a Judgment on the eternal status of another.

Boyd K Packer

The Atonement was absolutely essential for men to cleanse themselves from sin and overcome the second death, spiritual death, which is separation from our Father in Heaven, for the scriptures tell us eight times that no unclean thing may enter the presence of God

We cannot return to God without Christ's atonement regardless if it is a higher law or a lower law. As all things are present with God, when we are judged (after our resurrection) we cannot discount previous blessings we have received from God, and previous steps in our progression. We are presently and will always be indebted to God and by extension Jesus Christ for redemption, and without redemption we cannot pass on to exaltation. We would be like the nine Leper's who said " I have already been redeemed (healed) by Christ, I am my own man." That is so ungrateful, that it makes me sick.

We cannot return to God perfect without the atonement of Jesus Christ. If we believe we can, we ignore the scriptures and rely on our own wisdom.

Reconcile Edited: dbackers on 8th Oct, 2008 - 3:53am

8th Oct, 2008 - 4:30pm / Post ID: #

Sure Election Calling Mormon

QUOTE (Amonhi @ 7-Oct 08, 7:37 AM)

Yes, because the atonement is part of the Lower Aaronic Priesthood. All Aaronic or preparatory priesthood ordinances are focused on the atonement. The atonement itself was an Aaronic Priesthood ordinance and the Lord was not pleased that he had to do it. If he did not love us so much, and want to progress himself by fulfilling his life's mission, he wouldn't have. When the lower law is really fulfilled, then it is no longer needed.

I was pretty sure I was taught that the Law of Moses was the lower law and that it was no longer needed because Christs atonement was the higher law--do you have a source for this statement by chance?

Also, it is hard to read what you wrote about Jesus not being pleased that he had to do the atonement. That goes against any testimony I have and obviously is a personal opinion, but He knew and accepted the Fathers plan in the pre-existence. He ASKED Father to send him and that Heavenly Father would receive the glory...not Him.

I do agree that in the Garden he asked the cup to pass if possible, but IF NOT, THY WILL BE DONE! I have always wondered if perhaps that was part of his human side to have the feelings of second thoughts, but in no way have I ever felt he wasn't pleased or he just did it because he needed to fulfill a mission to further himself.

That just goes against the grain of my testimony and those of the prophets and apostles bearing witness of the need for Christ. Having their Calling & Election, (Many if not all?) they continue to take sacrament and worship Jesus Christ as their Savior, and lead others to do the same.

You have a wealth of knowledge and much of it does make sense to me, not agreeing or disagreeing with anything, but some does make sense. But I believe in the strength of testimony born of the Spirit and I am having a hard time with these statements quoted above.

8th Oct, 2008 - 4:38pm / Post ID: #

You may have a hard time with it because I believe a lot of it is... the words of man mingled with scripture. Hence Source 6 needs to be answered first. In that same Thread I did place:

QUOTE (JB)
Often things Discussed or brought about through many varied communications can be seen as interesting, inviting or even awe inspiring, but I always ensure to sift it and match it to the doctrinal securities of which I am aware so as to not fall prey to the subtle enticements that can so easily persuade a fool hearty soul. Beware your sources.

Additionally, of those whom it is likely have had their Election Made Sure (both ancient and new) I have never ever seen them try to discount in any way or form the Atonement or looking towards Christ. To do so is in my opinion Satanic.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 8th Oct, 2008 - 7:51pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Mormon Calling Election Sure - Page 9

One who has written extensively about Calling and Election made sure and the role of Jesus Christ is the brother of the well known Cleon Skousen, Max Skousen.

He has written many interesting things, many of which I recognize from Amonhi.

Anyone here who has read the book series "A blessing hitherto unknown"?

8th Oct, 2008 - 10:57pm / Post ID: #

Mormon Calling Election Sure Mormon Doctrine Studies - Page 9

QUOTE (JB @ 8-Oct 08, 8:38 AM)

QUOTE (JB)
Often things Discussed or brought about through many varied communications can be seen as interesting, inviting or even awe inspiring, but I always ensure to sift it and match it to the doctrinal securities of which I am aware so as to not fall prey to the subtle enticements that can so easily persuade a fool hearty soul. Beware your sources.

Yes, I do agree that was my first initial reaction. I am eagerly awaiting his responses to those questions. Has he been on the past few days?

Additionally, of those whom it is likely have had their Election Made Sure (both ancient and new) I have never ever seen them try to discount in any way or form the Atonement or looking towards Christ. To do so is in my opinion Satanic.

I am having those same feelings. They tell us even the elect will be deceived and I wonder if that means someone can be on the path to their Calling & Election and start to depend on their own knowledge instead of the Spirits teachings. I don't know because I am no where near that point but I am curious.

Also, from Joheri
Anyone here who has read the book series "A blessing hitherto unknown"?
Did Skousen write this? If not, who did please?

Reconcile Edited: AlaskanLDS on 8th Oct, 2008 - 11:01pm

> TOPIC: Mormon Calling And Election Made Sure

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,