Mormon Calling And Election Made Sure - Page 2 of 16

Thanks for the insight, with millions of members - Page 2 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 25th May, 2004 - 2:23pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 6  ...Latest (16) »
An interesting Topic that has so many implications to it. For those outside of the Church and some within it refers to the promise that Eternal Life will be yours. For others it means something more, even in this life. What are your thoughts about Calling And Election Made Sure?
24th May, 2004 - 9:26pm / Post ID: #

Mormon Calling And Election Made Sure - Page 2

This is getting more interesting as each message is added (something new!). Gaucho, if you would, email him and ask him if he still goes to Church, if he feels he still needs to partake of the sacrament, be baptized and so on and so forth. Thanks.

Sponsored Links:
24th May, 2004 - 10:53pm / Post ID: #

Sure Election Calling Mormon

As I understand it, people who have had their Calling and Election Made Sure are very humble about it, and don't talk about it. So, if someone makes a big deal about it, I would be very suspicious about their claims.

My Book of Mormon teacher told two nice stories. While serving as a bishop, a woman came into his office, sat down, and proclaimed that she was ready. Ready for what? Why, to receive her Second Annointing, of course. (He should have known.)

After calling the Stake President, he then had to explain to the woman that the Brethren would call her, when it was time, it wasn't for her to choose the time or the circumstances. (Don't call us, we'll call you)

Now, he also served as a missionary under Hartman Rector, Jr. While on his mission, the missionaries, along with Pres. Rector, would discuss things in depth. A frequent subject of discussion was speculation about the Second Annointing and making one's Calling and Election Sure.

Years later, they had a mission reunion. My teacher was able to talk to Elder Rector for a bit, and brought up the subject of the Second Annointing. Elder Rector said something to the effect of:
"You know all those wonderful elderly people who you see going in and out of the temples every day? Most of them have had their Second Annointings. Now, how about those Cougars!?" (The Cougars are the BYU football team, fyi.)

My teacher explained that this was such a different attitude about it all that he took the message that Elder Rector knew a lot more about it, but wasn't going to discuss it.

The Second Annointing, and the Calling and Election are some of the most sacred experiences available. In the link I previously posted has a few people's experiences that HAVE been recorded, in scripture and in Church History. All the more modern ones listed were given by revelation through Joseph Smith, except for Heber C. Kimball and Vilate Kimball. There are several examples from the Book of Mormon.

24th May, 2004 - 11:00pm / Post ID: #

Mormon Calling And Election Made Sure Studies Doctrine Mormon

So is this still taught to temple workers or should I say... made available to them? Why doesn't the Church talk about this more?

25th May, 2004 - 2:40am / Post ID: #

Page 2 Sure Election Calling Mormon

Wow Nighthawk, thanks for sharing that story with us. I was very surprised that you actually met someone who was a Bishop and had a experience like that.
I heard about making our calling and election sure and also about the second anoiting, what I didn't know is that it is something that we are doing nowdays in our Temple!. I would love to contact someone who have done this!.

25th May, 2004 - 11:52am / Post ID: #

Sure Election Calling Mormon

I really don't think that anyone who has experienced it would talk to you about it, unless you have received it.

Among those people I know who are a bit - disaffected - with the Church, they contend that only GAs receive the Second Annointing (Seventy and Apostles). I doubt that. I just think that those who receive it are extremely quiet about it. After all, just to get to that point, a person must have developed spiritual discernment, received revelation, and learned to keep it completely to themselves, except when specifically told otherwise by the Spirit.

25th May, 2004 - 11:57am / Post ID: #

Mormon Calling And Election Made Sure

Could it be that people are called to receive this unworthy? If so, it would be sad for them to think they have their election sure when they do not, or are we saying the power of the ordinance overrides their unworthiness and makes them worthy? If and when the ordinance is done what would be the procedure - for instance; who has to interview you for it, can it happen only in the temple, what are the prerequisites that have to happen for this?

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
25th May, 2004 - 2:11pm / Post ID: #

Mormon Calling Election Sure - Page 2

While it is conceivable that a person who received his/her Second Annointing was unworthy, to have the Calling and Election Made Sure is not even remotely possible if the person was unworthy. Because to have your Calling and Election Made Sure, you have to receive it directly from the Lord, Himself.

So, if a person THINKS they have received it, and they haven't then I would think that they either have deceived themselves or have allowed Satan to get enough influence in their lives that he could deceive them.

The Second Annointing, as I understand it, occurs only in the Holy of Holies in the temple. I think that the Stake President has to be informed by a General Authority, then interviews the person and issues the recommend. Final interview would most likely be an Apostle.

No, I really don't think that the ordinance makes the person worthy. The ordinance only occurs when the Lord says it is to happen.

Thinking on these subjects a bit more, I think that entering into our normal covenants (baptism, confirmation, etc) and living up to them, gets us into the Terrestial Kingdom. Receiving the Baptism of Fire and the Holy Ghost (the Mighty Change of Heart) gets us into the Celestial Kingdom. Having our Calling and Election made Sure qualifies us for the highest level of the Celestial Kingdom.

We do know that without Celestial Marriage, we cannot get into the highest level, so having a Celestial Marriage sealed with the Holy Spirit of Promise, along with the Calling and Election appears to me to be what is necessary to enter that level.

And, the exciting thing is that we can have ALL of those experiences in mortality, and enjoy those blessings while in mortality.

25th May, 2004 - 2:23pm / Post ID: #

Mormon Calling Election Sure Mormon Doctrine Studies - Page 2

Thanks for the insight, with millions of members around the world I have the feeling that the Church does not want to publicize this ordinance too much, some may also claim some kind of discrimination and/or looks like the majority of this will be performed during the Millennium. One question though, if the Lord himself is involved in the decision of this ordinance does it require that the Lord specifically tell the Brethren or the person? If the person, then does this mean they inform their leaders of this so the ordinance can be received?

+  1 2 3 4 5 6  ...Latest (16) »

> TOPIC: Mormon Calling And Election Made Sure

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,