Your Membership In Jeopardy - Page 2 of 6

LDS, I don't think fear is the correct - Page 2 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 25th May, 2004 - 9:07pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 
A Discussion on the potential possibilities of using a forum like this or other related Internet tool to Discuss Doctrine.
Post Date: 25th May, 2004 - 6:30pm / Post ID: #

Your Membership In Jeopardy
A Friend

Your Membership In Jeopardy - Page 2

I would have to agree with Tenaheff. If it came to me being a member of this forum, or any forum, and being excommunicated from the church, then I would choose to leave the forum simply, if for no other reason, than I would lose my temple recommend. Losing that means too much to me.

I know that this isn't an apostate site, but I must admit that it did take me awhile before I did start posting regularly after I joined. I joined to become a member of my mission site. But some of the titles of the threads gave me pause about this place...It just didn't make sense that some place advertising a portal to mission websites for ex-missionaries would be linked to an apostate site. Anyway...

It does make me worry that if they read the titles of some of the threads without reading the actual posts, they might get the impression that this was an apostate site, just as I at first mistakenly did.

Sponsored Links:
25th May, 2004 - 7:05pm / Post ID: #

Jeopardy Membership Your

In my humble opinion, the reason I would say what I said before it is in my opinion, their thoughts are obviously just a perception on how people see things, this is not revealed truth but just a perception of the leader in this case reading the threads of this forum. If I KNOW that I'm not participating in anything that goes against my standards, why I would stop doing it as if I was doing something wrong, I don't understand that, unless in the deep of us we think that we are not suppose to be here, we are afraid that somebody we know may be reading this or we really think we are doing something we are not supposed to do. Just my two cents.

25th May, 2004 - 7:21pm / Post ID: #

Your Membership In Jeopardy Studies Doctrine Mormon

See, LDS, I agree with your thought process, but my stipulation was that it couldn't just be the Bishop alone who had the say. However, if the High Council and Stake Presidency concurred, then it isn't just one person.

Plus, the loss of a Temple Recommend might not be as pressing an issue if you live in an area where there is no Temple nearby so you can't attend regularly anyway. I am not sure, but I think it wouldn't have the same impact upon your life.

I live 45 minutes from the Temple. If I couldn't go there regularly, it would be very big loss for me. One I wouldn't be willing to accept just because I knew I was doing nothing wrong. Even though I am doing nothing wrong, I won't stand on principal and just refuse to do what it is I must if I want to be allowed to continue to hold that Temple recommend and partake of regular Temple visits.

It certainly wouldn't be fair to be required to stop visiting this forum and we by our very natures generally fight very hard against anything that isn't fair. Yet in the end, fair or not, the consequences or price, if you will, for continuing to come here would just be higher than I am willing to pay.

25th May, 2004 - 7:36pm / Post ID: #

Page 2 Jeopardy Membership Your

Tena, I don't know if I am misinterpreted your words, but it seems like you are willing to do what they tell you because of fear....

Post Date: 25th May, 2004 - 8:45pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Jeopardy Membership Your

It isn't that members such as us fear the church, and I don't know if you have ever been to the temple for your own endowments. But I take my sacred vows very seriously, and although I really like this forum (and I hope I offend no one here) I would have no problem giving this place up if asked to by the brethren of the church. In the last general conference we were asked to follow the inspired brethren of the church, even down to our local leaders fully. I don't consider that blind obedience, nor do I think as some do that the only things we have to follow are the things that say "thus saith the lord."

I do know that my life is happier when I follow the counsel and guidance that the leaders of the church give in my life. Regardless, this all comes from a "what if" about this forum that I don't think, or hope won't ever come about.

25th May, 2004 - 8:56pm / Post ID: #

BigMac, the reason I mentioned the word 'fear' is because of something Tena said about her Temple Attendance that she could not handle being without it, so in my opinion was more a fear of losing that opportunity than an actual reasoning of knowing she is doing something wrong here. In your case you said you will follow the counsel of the Brethren and I respect your opinion, although I still thinking it doesn't make much sense because if the Brethren ask you to give up another thing then is obvious that you would just follow it, I'm not saying we should be disobedient to our Church leaders, what I'm saying is that it should take us more than 20 seconds to answer if they ask us to give up something, we should speak our mind and try to understand, NOT just follow it because the Brethren have ask us to do. This kind of reasoning in my opinion, is very dangerous. Yes, I have been in the Temple several times, I'm an endowed member and sealed to my husband.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
25th May, 2004 - 9:03pm / Post ID: #

Your Membership Jeopardy - Page 2

Plus, the loss of a Temple Recommend might not be as pressing an issue if you live in an area where there is no Temple nearby so you can't attend regularly anyway. I am not sure, but I think it wouldn't have the same impact upon your life.

I'm sorry but you are wrong. My Temple Recommend it means a lot to me even if I don't have a Temple here in Trinidad, to know I hold one, it means I'm worthy to enter the House of the Lord!. My whole point is NOT that I'm willing to lose my Temple Recommend, my whole point is that I will take the issue up to the First Presidency if necessary! I would definetly stand for what I believe to be true! it will take more than a Bishop and a Stake President to see the matter. I don't believe in unjustice and I will not support one.

25th May, 2004 - 9:07pm / Post ID: #

Your Membership Jeopardy Mormon Doctrine Studies - Page 2

LDS, I don't think fear is the correct word to use. Unwillingness or choice would be a better way to put it. If I have to make a choice between keeping my Temple recommend or continuing to visit this site, I will choose my Church membership and Temple recommend.

At General Conference we sustain our Church Leaders. In our local wards we sustain our Church leaders. I have sustained my Bishop, Stake Presidency, and High Council. In the end, I will obey them. I will not do so blindly. I will insist upon the opportunity to refute their concerns. I will make sure they have really investigated this site. However, in the end, I will obey because I choose not to give up the benefits I gain via my Church membership in order to keep the benefits I get from coming to this forum.

My whole point is NOT that I'm willing to lose my Temple Recommend, my whole point is that I will take the issue up to the First Presidency if necessary!

If the First Presidency said sorry, but you must not go to that forum any longer, then what would you do?

Reconcile Edited: tenaheff on 25th May, 2004 - 9:08pm

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 

> TOPIC: Your Membership In Jeopardy

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,