Caribbean

Caribbean - Trinidad, Tobago / Caribbean - Posted: 28th May, 2004 - 8:31pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

Post Date: 25th May, 2004 - 9:33pm / Post ID: #

Caribbean
A Friend

Caribbean

how did the word caribbean got its name from and why also why does it applies to a group of islands between north and south america

Sponsored Links:
28th May, 2004 - 7:20pm / Post ID: #

Caribbean

My guess is that it comes from the Carib tribe that lived in these islands back when Columbus came across. There were actually 2 tribes, the Caribs and Arawaks, but the Caribs were more dominant, and virtually wiped out the Arawak tribe. This is purely from memory from history class when I lived in Trinidad. Someone correct me if I am wrong. JB? undecided.gif

28th May, 2004 - 8:28pm / Post ID: #

Caribbean Caribbean / Tobago & Trinidad

Malexander, that sounds right on the money to me and to answer the scond part of his question the Caribs basically had control of most of the islands and not the mainland hence the name was attached to the strech of islands leading from Trinidad in the South to the Keys in the North.

28th May, 2004 - 8:31pm / Post ID: #

Caribbean

Wow, didnt think I could remember that far back sitting in social studies class learning about the Caribs and Arawaks.

> TOPIC: Caribbean

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,