Should Condoms Be Available In Public Schools - Page 3 of 6

I'm surprised there is a need for - Page 3 - Sciences, Education, Art, Writing, UFO - Posted: 29th Nov, 2005 - 11:45am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 
Post Date: 7th Jul, 2005 - 6:05pm / Post ID: #

Should Condoms Be Available In Public Schools
A Friend

Should Condoms Be Available In Public Schools - Page 3

Teenagers who are sexually active should have access to contraception, but making birth control available to teens who aren't sends a contradictory message, he said.

Yes... I believe this is true, but I think there should be some level of availability of contraception. Doesn't your local Walgreens/CVS carry a stock of condoms in it? What about a celibate person walking in.... just because they see the condoms there doesn't mean they have to walk right over and try it now!?!
I think making these things available to them preps them for the "real world". I also think that someone must be responsible for making sure that students are aware of the world of adulthood that they are about to leap into. Yes... I believe that parents have been given the tools to prepare their children, but they are skewed to their own beliefs and leave out things they believe as "nonsense" and that's where problems may arise.

Sponsored Links:
7th Jul, 2005 - 9:12pm / Post ID: #

Schools Public In Be Condoms Should

Yes... I believe that parents have been given the tools to prepare their children, but they are skewed to their own beliefs and leave out things they believe as "nonsense" and that's where problems may arise.

Could you please elaborate more on what do you exactly mean by "their own beliefs" and things they believe as "nonsense"?.

Post Date: 8th Jul, 2005 - 7:20pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Should Condoms Be Available In Public Schools UFO & Writing Art Education Sciences

All I meant was that parents probably get together and discuss what they are going to say to their children when talking to them about abstinence and issues like that (whether they are influenced by church or their own beliefs). I know my son is young, but when he's older, or lets say I have a daughter and she's getting to that age, I will never deny them the protection or curiosity about contraception.
With that is going to come long talks and lots of reminders of the consequences of even "Protected" Sex.
But the whole reason I'm saying this is that some parents have their own beliefs as to what's important for their children to know about certain issues. Some parents make it impossible for children to come to them about issues like this because they are so against things, that the children are in fear that raising an issue or concern would make their parents upset and more overbearing. All I mean, is that parents should not be ignorant to the fact that their teenagers will have sex and explore other "forbidden fruits" for the simple fact that they are forbidden... why not ensure their safety and make themselves available to talk about these issues.

8th Jul, 2005 - 8:48pm / Post ID: #

Page 3 Schools Public In Be Condoms Should

But the whole reason I'm saying this is that some parents have their own beliefs as to what's important for their children to know about certain issues

Isn't that the job of any responsible parent?. In my opinion, if you are a parent and you are raising a minor, then it is your job what you consider important to teach your children, not the other way around.

Some parents make it impossible for children to come to them about issues like this because they are so against things, that the children are in fear that raising an issue or concern would make their parents upset and more overbearing

This is true, but I think the whole problem in that case is not the parent's being against "things" but a huge problem of communication and relationship with their children on a general basis.

All I mean, is that parents should not be ignorant to the fact that their teenagers will have sex and explore other "forbidden fruits" for the simple fact that they are forbidden...

I do not know how you can be so sure that teenagers "will have sex". I am sure you know there are many, many teenagers who decide not to have sex until they get married. We do not talk much about them but they exist. I do not know exactly what you mean by "forbidden fruits" but I do know that if sex is taught in a correct manner and the kid's mental health and spiritual health and the parent's also then, there would not be a need to "explore these forbidden fruits". Yes, human beings are curious as long as their imaginations are fed, the point is: with what they are being fed with.

why not ensure their safety and make themselves available to talk about these issues

I do not know what is your concept of safety. Safety in my opinion should be and is abstinence, otherwise, there is always a risk involved. I would personally teach my children about abstinence but I will also include the topic of contraception, not meant as an experiment, but for the purpose of explaining the risks teenagers get involved when they decide to become sexually active. (unwanted pregnancies, sexual transmitted diceases, AIDS, etc).

Going a little back to the topic at hand, why should I as a responsible parent allow the school to teach my kids about their sexual behavior?. If I want to raise my child in a certain way, who is the school and its leaders to teach him in opposition to what I may be trying to teach all my life to them?. Condoms in public schools are another way to tell the kids: "We know you are going to have sex. Go ahead. You can do it, enjoy it, it does not matter anything what you learnt from home". This goes against everything I believe in, therefore, in my opinion it is not the job of the school system to decide that for me and my child.

Reconcile Edited: LDS_forever on 8th Jul, 2005 - 8:54pm

Post Date: 11th Jul, 2005 - 4:54pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Schools Public In Be Condoms Should

Obviously you are a responsible parent. Yes... I agree that it is important to teach your children your values and what you hold dear to your heart.

Offtopic but,
Some may consider this next thought as off topic, but why have school psychologists? If your child is having serious issues and they don't feel they can turn to you, or if you are not meeting their needs would you say that the government/school shouldn't provide a certified psychologist for students that may need help with issues unrelated to their education? Not every family is perfect. This is similar because all children may not need a psychologist, but there should be one available to the students that may need one.

If I want to raise my child in a certain way, who is the school and its leaders to teach him in opposition to what I may be trying to teach all my life to them?.

Then put your child in a school that will only teach your ideas. That's like learning about evolution in science class. I figure you do not think the idea of evolution is valid, so what are you going to do when it's time for that topic to come up in school? Or, would you still allow your child to learn about evolution, but tell them what you think about it? In the school I was brought up in, the section on evolution was purposely left out of our lecture (catholic school) so what do you think we students did when we noticed the material was being skipped? We read on.
Safety in my opinion should be and is abstinence

I agree with this, but I think teenagers should still be informed of methods that can help ensure they will be somewhat protected if they decide to experiment.

Offtopic but,
I'm not a religious person by any means, so you can probably understand why I feel this way about these things. smile.gif

Message Edited!
Persephone: When speaking off topic do not admit so and continue anyway, use the off topic tags.

11th Jul, 2005 - 6:27pm / Post ID: #

Well, the topic is about condoms being available in public schools or not so I cannot really reply on your offtopics. What I can say is whether I believe or not that abstinence is the safest method and that the school system should not (by any means) provide condoms for children, it has nothing to do whether I am a religious person or not. Many people mix up moral values with religion and it does not really has to have a conection. There are many people who decide these things without no religious background whatsoever, they are just concern parents.

Teenagers should be informed in all the aspects of sexual education, I agree with that, what I do not agree is that a third party should teach mychild those things. I believe I am responsible enough to teach my own children about the risks involved in sexual activity and I am not grateful when a stranger decides to give my kids condoms (let's remember also they still minors and under our supervision).

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 28th Nov, 2005 - 4:28am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Should Condoms Be In Public Schools - Page 3

A student newspaper in Oak Ridge, Tennessee that had included an article about birth control and tattoos were seized after being handed out. The school contracted 1800 issues of the newspaper. Stories were included about the success of different types of birth control pills.

https://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10230021/

Offtopic but,
I know this isn't completely about condoms or anything, but I figured it was close enough to be included in this topic.

29th Nov, 2005 - 11:45am / Post ID: #

Should Condoms Be In Public Schools Sciences Education Art Writing & UFO - Page 3

I'm surprised there is a need for condoms in public schools. Can't you buy these in supermarkets?

I think sex education is important at that age, but supplying condoms isn't necessary. If teenagers know where to get them then what difference does it make?

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 

> TOPIC: Should Condoms Be Available In Public Schools

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,