Should Condoms Be Available In Public Schools - Page 4 of 6

These days, teenagers are having sex because - Page 4 - Sciences, Education, Art, Writing, UFO - Posted: 1st Feb, 2008 - 2:49am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 
Post Date: 2nd Dec, 2005 - 4:16am / Post ID: #

Should Condoms Be Available In Public Schools
A Friend

Should Condoms Be Available In Public Schools - Page 4

The ideology behind condoms in school is that it provides a safe place for students to get condoms for free. From my understanding, and what I remember hearing about when I was in school, students may get them for free and under complete confidentiality. The idea is that they know students are having sex, and they would rather them have safe sex than unprotected sex.

The issue I have with this is that schools are making it more of a priority to teach safe sex than abstinence. I think the main priority should be on waiting to have sex until marriage, but instead, they make the message more of a "Have safe sex, we'll provide the way...by the way, it's usually better to wait until you're married. But if you have sex, here's some condoms and birth control. Be safe. Don't get diseases."

Sponsored Links:
3rd Dec, 2005 - 10:20am / Post ID: #

Schools Public In Be Condoms Should

The issue I have with this is that schools are making it more of a priority to teach safe sex than abstinence.

There is nothing wrong with having sex before marriage. There is certainly no law against it. Whther we agree with it or not, it's perfectly normal thse days for teenagers to have sex.

I think the reason why they don't teach abstinence is because not many young people actually practice it. So it is better to teach about safe sex, which the majority of young people do, rather than abstinence.

Post Date: 3rd Dec, 2005 - 1:41pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Should Condoms Be Available In Public Schools UFO & Writing Art Education Sciences

That's a difference of opinion, but one I would rather teach my child rather than have other adults who may not share my same belief about that contradict my teaching. You may not see anything wrong with having sex before marriage, but somebody else might. Which is why I stated that I have an issue with what is being taught. I don't think it's right for a parent to do so much to teach their child abstinence, and then have the school turn around and say "Okay, here you go. Go have such, just do it safely." But, pre-marital sex is not really what this thread is about.

I'm not quite sure how I feel about the Oak Ridge school board retracting the newspaper article about birth control. It's one of those issues I can see both sides to. Oak Ridge, today, is still a rather old fashioned town in the overall thinking. That's the impression I got when I was there last month. It's technically in the Bible belt, and so they would be one of those school system who would teach abstinence before teaching safe sex. But, it does go back to how much freedom the students really have. Perhaps a better compromise would be the articles about effective birth controls, but not necessarily in the school newspaper. Maybe some sort of pamphlet on safe sex could be made by the students.

3rd Dec, 2005 - 10:30pm / Post ID: #

Page 4 Schools Public In Be Condoms Should

Schools have no business teaching my child about sex, and no business handing out condoms to my child -- not unless they are willing to take on the responsibility of teaching ethics, morality, and abstinence as well. Frankly, condoms aren't 100% effective against pregnancy or disease; helpful, certainly, in prevention, but no guarantees.

Offtopic but,
arvhic said:
Whther we agree with it or not, it's perfectly normal thse days for teenagers to have sex.
I'd rephrase that to "it's common these days" rather than "it's normal." It's not normal for children to have sex. I know, I know, they are "teenagers"; but they are still children, in my view, and are not prepared for the physical and psychological effects of sexual intimacy with another person -- particularly when most of those early relationships don't last very long.

4th Dec, 2005 - 8:10am / Post ID: #

Schools Public In Be Condoms Should

Common, normal, it's really just semantics. I would say most young people today have had sex before they enter their 20s. When I was growing up, it was very common.

Most people I knew when I was that age used condoms and were well aware of the repercussions. But younger aged children, those under 15 or 16 probably didn't. Or if they did they didn't care.

Condoms should never be seen as the perfect remedy. But they do help. There are many other methods of contraception that could be used as well.

I think abstinence is very much a personal thing that could be discussed at school, but really it should be reinforced at home. So should sex education. It is a good idea to arm teens with sex education because if we didn't teach them anything you will find an explosion in the pregnancy rate. Abstinence may sound great, but it is unrealistic, times have changed.

Post Date: 5th Dec, 2005 - 6:30pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Well, I have mixed emotions as well. I don't want my children having sex too early and I don't want them going to other people to get condoms. But the way children are these days, they will find a way to do whatever it is that they want to do. So having condoms in schools to me, is ok because if my children are not going to come to me for whatever reason when they think they are ready, and they can get the condoms in school then that is fine with me because I would rather them have the condom and be safe than to have unprotected sex and get a disease.
Msootim

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 31st Jan, 2008 - 4:25pm / Post ID: #

Should Condoms Be In Public Schools - Page 4

Name: Eric

Comments: Well I think that condoms should be given out at school because it could stop the use of baby making.

1st Feb, 2008 - 2:49am / Post ID: #

Should Condoms Be In Public Schools Sciences Education Art Writing & UFO - Page 4

These days, teenagers are having sex because they are bombarded with images from the media which makes promiscuity very glamorous and acceptable. But distributing condoms in schools merely reinforces the idea that it is okay to have sex, at an early age. I support having sexual education in schools. However, if the school wishes to invite a speaker to educate the school children about sex, it would be prudent, if the school board invites the parents to a meeting, to discuss the pros and cons about having sexual education at school. If parents have concerns, perhaps a few parents could be selected to attend the sexual education session and share their own thoughts with the school children as well.

While I firmly believe in promoting abstinence, these days, school children will laugh at this idea. Therefore, I believe that it is important for the parents, as well as the school, to advise the school children about abstinence being the safest way to prevent unwanted pregnancies and sexually transmitted diseases. However, the school children should also be made aware of the importance of using protection, if they feel pressured or tempted to have sex.

Rather off topic, but...
I will never forget that many years ago, there was an attempt to promote abstinence in the Caribbean by writing a song called "The only safe sex is marital sex." I cannot remember the name of the group who sang it but the words were excellent and the director cleverly used a lot of teenagers in the music video. This is a brave attempt to promote abstinence and perhaps, the government should invest in educating the public about abstinence and the importance of using protection, while having sex by using music videos or skits.

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 

> TOPIC: Should Condoms Be Available In Public Schools

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,