Define A Redneck

Define Redneck - Politics, Business, Civil, History - Posted: 25th May, 2004 - 8:25am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
Post Date: 24th May, 2004 - 5:21am / Post ID: #

Define A Redneck
A Friend

Define A Redneck

Can someone define a Redneck for me. Is a Redneck a racist white person. Or is it a way of living for white's of the south. Could a Redneck mean the same thing as a Hillbilly ? Could someone please clarify this for me. When I was stationed in Ft. Bragg , N.C. I would always hear the term Redneck. You would see t-shirts , bumper stickers , hats , belt buckles that said " 100% Redneck and proud of it. Now I'm thinking Redneck is a racist. I say this because I seen a noose hanging from a guys rear view mirror. This guys pick up truck was decked out with 100% Redneck. Well the black soldiers were so offended by this noose hanging from the rear mirror. It actually caused alot of tension between the white and black soldiers. The Company Commander made him remove the noose. When he did that , the white soldiers were upset. It was crazy for about a week after that.

Sponsored Links:
24th May, 2004 - 12:11pm / Post ID: #

Redneck Define

Some Rednecks are racist, I think most aren't. I think it is generally just a term for a person who is not quite as refined as many would think they should be. Thus, there are Rednecks in Michigan as well as Mississippi.

Read some of the Redneck jokes on the internet, especially Jeff Foxworthy's Redneck Test. These kind of explain it all.

When we lived in Biloxi, Mississippi, we went to a restaurant called Po' Folks. Their motto was, "We're Po' but We're Proud!"

That is the epitome of Rednecks.

Reconcile Edited: Nighthawk on 24th May, 2004 - 12:11pm

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 854 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 85.4%

24th May, 2004 - 12:15pm / Post ID: #

Define A Redneck History & Civil Business Politics

Well, I think Redneck can mean different things to different people. I do not believe Redneck by itself necessarily means racist. Many Rednecks may also be racist, but I don't think that is what makes one a Redneck. To me Redneck is just another way to say hick or hillbilly, but not quite that either. It is the stereotypical
southern (probably white) country boy. Enjoys hunting, fishing, country music and the outdoors stuff like camping, etc. Unsophisticated. Definately not cultured. To most, I think redneck and southern white male are almost synonomous, but it doesn't necessarily mean you have to be racist.

That isn't to say some Rednecks aren't racist. The noose from the rear view mirror certainly sounds racist to me. So does the confederate flag, but to a lot of people the flag really just means "southern and proud of it." They don't think of the underlying meanings associated with the symbol. I suppose this could be true of the noose as well, but I can't imagine how.

International Level: Diplomat / Political Participation: 320 ActivistPoliticianDiplomat 32%

Post Date: 24th May, 2004 - 8:42pm / Post ID: #

Define A Redneck
A Friend

Redneck Define

Redneck's aren't confined to the Southern States either. My little bitty 'ol town here on the Central Oregon Coast is just littered with 'em.

I always thought that the term originally came from the sunburned neck. This 'group' of people are outdoorsy people. From tending their livestock, hunting, fishing, being out in their fields, etc. Thus being out in the sun ~ their necks and faces were much darker/ sunburned.

25th May, 2004 - 2:53am / Post ID: #

Redneck Define

I never heard that the people who are refer as 'rednecks' are racist. Everytime I think about a redneck, I imagine a country side person with a strong southern accent, not very educated, rearing chickens and pigs, living like in the woods side and cooking stew on those old and huge pots.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 1089 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 100%

Post Date: 25th May, 2004 - 5:12am / Post ID: #

Define A Redneck
A Friend

Define A Redneck

The things you mention LDS are signs of a Redneck. But you mention an uneducated person or a person cooking stew in a big pot. To me that sounds like a Hillbilly. I'm wondering if Redneck and Hillbilly are the same thing or not ?

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 25th May, 2004 - 6:42am / Post ID: #

Define A Redneck
A Friend

Define Redneck

Nighthawk that link doesn't seem to work.

Here are a few *You may be a Redneck if*

. . . you think that Dom Perignon is a Mafia leader.
. . . that billboard that says, "Say No To Crack" reminds you to pull up your jeans.
. . . your wife's hairdo was ever ruined by a ceiling fan.
. . . you go to your family reunions looking for a date.
. . . you"ve got more than three cousins named "Bubba".
. . . you have an Elvis Jell-O mold.
. . . taking your wife on a cruise means circling the Dairy Queen.
. . . you"ve got more than one brother named "Darryl".
. . . you ever won first prize in a tobacco spittin" contest.
. . . your favorite entree is Spam barbecued on the grill.
. . . your child's first words were, "Attention K-Mart shoppers!".
. . . your idea of high-quality entertainment is a six-pack and a bug-zapper.
. . . your whole family is Democrats except little Mary. She got to readin".
. . . you think the last words to The Star Spangled Banner are "Gentlemen, start your engines."
. . . you kissed your own wife at midnight at the New Year's Eve party.
. . . you"ve ever taken reading material into an airplane restroom.
. . . you vacuum the sheets instead of washing them.
. . . you"ve ever stood in line to have your picture made with a freak of nature.
. . . you break wind in public and blame it on your kid.
. . . you"ve ever had to siphon gas from your lawn mower to put into your truck.
. . . there are hubcap wind chimes anywhere on your block.
. . . you have a Bud Light pool-table light hanging over your dining room table.
. . . the strongest smell in your house is butane.
. . . you think potted meat on a saltine is an hors d"oeuvre.
. . . you played the banjo in your high school band.
. . . the velvet paintings in your house were bought from an art dealer on the side of the highway.
. . . you have no hubcaps on your car because you"re using them to feed your hunting dogs.

Post Date: 25th May, 2004 - 8:25am / Post ID: #

Define A Redneck
A Friend

Define Redneck Politics Business Civil & History

laugh.gif ! AGene thanks for sharing that with me. I never heard of these Redneck jokes. But the one that really had me laughing. Was the one about the "No To Crack " billboard reminds you to pull up your jeans. laugh.gif! That is so true because I always see them wearing their jeans like that. But we use to call it Plumber's crack though. So I guess the meaning of Redneck is a way of life for backwoods country folks. What do you think ?

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: Define A Redneck

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,