Do You Have A Phobia ?

Do Phobia - Psychology, Special Needs, Health - Posted: 29th Jul, 2004 - 12:21pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 
Post Date: 28th May, 2004 - 5:15am / Post ID: #

Do You Have A Phobia ?
A Friend

Do You Have A Phobia ?

You would be amazed with all the Phobia's that are listed out there. There is a Phobia for everything and I mean everything. I don't know the medical term for my Phobia. But I am always thinking about , how will I die. I know that is probably a strange Phobia , but I know it probably exists. Your probably asking your self why is he thinking like this. Well you also have to look at where I'm at. (Iraq) When soldier's are bored on gaurd duty , this stuff comes up in conversation all the time. If it's our time to go. We would like for it to be quick and painless. The way Berg died was a slow painfull process in which I saw on the internet. It was horrible death and my heart goes out to his family. I once had a friend get discharged from the Army for having Social Phobia. Social Phobia is where someone has a fear of social events or a fear of people. Now is Social Phobia just another fancy name for shyness ? Or is it something totally different ? Do you suffer from a Phobia ?

Reconcile Edited: darius on 28th May, 2004 - 5:18am

Sponsored Links:
28th May, 2004 - 11:23am / Post ID: #

Phobia Have Do

I would think that social phobia is, or is at least related to, SAD (social anxiety disorder). This is a very real, very disabling condition. I know a few people who suffer from general anxiety disorder, mildly, and it is very difficult for them to do some things.

If you saw the movie Finding Forrester you will remember that Forrester, played by Sean Connery, suffered from this. It is extremely hard for people to break this syndrome, as it strengthens itself.

Post Date: 28th May, 2004 - 12:50pm / Post ID: #

Do You Have A Phobia ?
A Friend

Do You Have A Phobia ? Health & Special Psychology

So what type of treatment do they have available for this disorder. Are there medications out there for this? Or do they treat this with counseling ? That running back for the Miami Dolphins (Ricky Williams) suffers from Social Phobia. He was on the Oprah Winfey show talking about it. He would give interviews at halftime wearing his helment and hiding behind the dark tent on his face gaurd. He said his childhood was rough. He was teased alot and looked at as being strange.

28th May, 2004 - 3:03pm / Post ID: #

Phobia Have Do

I don't know a lot about SAD. Some medications such as Zoloft and Paxil help, as anxiety appears to be related to depression. I have heard of people who have found ways to deal with it and overcome it.

29th Jul, 2004 - 2:17am / Post ID: #

Phobia Have Do

I have several minor phobias like a fear of heights, but the one thing that can put me in terror mode are bees. It doesn't matter if they are little honey bees or great big hornets. If I see one I have the flight or fight response that I have no control over. I have in the past avoided going places because I knew there may be bees around. As a child I would scream if one got in the car and my Dad had no choice but to stop or I would jump out. Many people have told me to just ignore them or stand still they will go away. Sorry, but that just doesn't work, because my brain shuts down temporarily and I can see nothing but the bee and the need to escape. I only wish there were some kind of repelant that would keep all of them away from me.

29th Jul, 2004 - 2:59am / Post ID: #

Do You Have A Phobia ?

I hear ya, Renee! I've also had a horrible time with bees and other flying/stinging insects. If there are a dozen people all in one place, and a bee flies in the window, guess who gets stung?? You guessed it: Moi. It doesn't matter if I stand still or run shrieking, they get me. So I have an "acquired" phobia.

The cure came the first time I saw one coming close to my infant daughter. It was a choice to freeze up and possibly let my daughter get stung, or kill that thing threatening my baby. I chose to kill. And it's changed how I feel about bees.

Roz

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 29th Jul, 2004 - 7:40am / Post ID: #

Do You Have A Phobia ?
A Friend

Do Have Phobia

QUOTE (darius @ 27-May 04, 10:15 PM)
Do you suffer from a Phobia ?

Oh my yes, several. I don't know their proper names but I am afraid of:
Heights, crossing bridges, being out on massive amounts of water such as lakes and the ocean, birds that are indoors(birds out of doors don't bother me a bit), bees and all of their cousins, spiders.

With spiders I am now able to take a flat soled shoe and kill them as I am screaming. If I don't kill them, then there is no one else here who can, thus I have to do it. With bees, I do stand still and I scream the whole time. I have even been so frightened that I befouled myself. Thankfully I was alone in my own backyard at the time. I am able to drive over bridges now, as long as I look straight ahead. I can NOT walk over a bridge unless it is very close to the ground/water AND the water has to be just a small creek or shallow river or shallow pond.

Once my car broke down and I had to cross over the bridge to get to town and get help. It was very late at night, no traffic at all. I walked down the center line of the 4 lane bridge and cried the whole way. This bridge is over the river and Bay that feeds into the Pacific Ocean.

Now with my fear of heights, I have been able to overcome part of that fear. I never had been able to even climb up on a chair ~ now I can do that easily. I can make it up to the third rung of a ladder, BUT I have to hang on with one hand so it tends to be a bit difficult to do things, like pound a nail in the wall or use a power drill.

Living alone and not liking to impose on others, I have to do nearly all things myself ~ put in light bulbs ~ no matter how high the ceiling is. Kill the spiders, trap the bees in glass jars and toss them outside. So you can overcome your fears/phobias if you patiently expose yourself to them over time.

29th Jul, 2004 - 12:21pm / Post ID: #

Do Have Phobia Psychology Special & Health

QUOTE (FarSeer @ 28-Jul 04, 9:59 PM)
I hear ya, Renee! I've also had a horrible time with bees and other flying/stinging insects. If there are a dozen people all in one place, and a bee flies in the window, guess who gets stung?? You guessed it: Moi. It doesn't matter if I stand still or run shrieking, they get me. So I have an "acquired" phobia.

The cure came the first time I saw one coming close to my infant daughter. It was a choice to freeze up and possibly let my daughter get stung, or kill that thing threatening my baby. I chose to kill. And it's changed how I feel about bees.

Roz

I actually prefer to kill any bee that comes close to me. At least then I know it's gone for good. I have only been stung once and that was by a little honeybee so it wasn't that painful. Still, no matter how much I try I can't control my fear of them. This is why I wish there was a repellent. I know bees are useful to mankind and I feel bad when I kill them, so if they could just be kept away from me that would be perfect.

+  1 2 3 4 

> TOPIC: Do You Have A Phobia ?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,