LDS Near Death Experiences - Page 3 of 7

Some of those early links within this Thread - Page 3 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 26th Sep, 2008 - 3:14am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Mormon Near Death Experiences
Latter-Day Saint Perspective... / Mormon NDE / Mormons Who Experienced Near Death
30th Mar, 2005 - 10:37pm / Post ID: #

LDS Near Death Experiences - Page 3

There are many such accounts from early church members but we don't seem to hear them happening in modern times as much

I think they still happening nowdays but there are two reasons why we do not hear about them:

1) Some members consider it too sacred to share it
2) They are afraid to be ridiculize and chastize for sharing such experiences.

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 30th Oct, 2005 - 4:32am / Post ID: #

LDS Near Death Experiences
A Friend

Experiences Death LDS

I Love this topic. It's one of my favorite fields to discuss. I have quite a library of books dealing with this subject and I'd like to list some here for other who may be interested. I've split them up into categories of Personal accounts and books which just discuss NDE's in general. I further split those up into books which are LDS based and those which aren't.

If other are interested, some of the books... The Beyond The Veil books to be more exact... include accounts of some early LDS members who had NDE's and I can write out some of those if there's an interest. Anyway, here's the list -

NDE Books

Personal Experiences

LDS Based:

1. I Stand All Amazed by Elane Durham

In 1976, Elane Durham died, was administered last rites and as her body lay there her spirit journeyed to a higher realm changing her life forever. What did she learn before returning form the otherside that led to her conversion to the LDS Church? Find out in this book.

A lot of preaching, more so than there is of information on her NDE. A few prophecies are mentioned.

2. Beyond The Veil volumes 1,2,3 by Lee Nelson

Includes many accounts of NDE's some by LDS members some not. Some are classic accounts from well known LDS members.

3. There Is No Death by Sarah Menet

Sarah committed suicide in 1979 had an incredible NDE and came back with a beautiful story of the afterlife. I highly recommend this book. Inspiring and uplifting. Sarah came back with the answers to many questions and quite a few prophecies of the future. She also visited what she called Hell. Her book answers such questions as -
Why are terrible things allowed to happen to good people?
Why are we here on earth?
What is deja vu?
Is there such a thing as reincarnation?
And many others.

Non-LDS Based:

1. Saved By The Light by Dannion Brinkley

On September 17, 1975 Dannion Brinkley was talking on the phone during a thunderstorm. A bolt of lightning hit the phone line, sending thousands of volts of electricity into his head and down his body, throwing him several feet into the air. His heart stopped and he died. This is his tale.

2. Beyond The Darkness (My Near-Death Journey to The Edge of Hell and Back) by Angie Fenimore

On January 8, 1991 Angie Fenimore committed suicide, hoping to escape her sense of emptiness and suffering and to move toward light. Instead of having a more positive experience such as most NDE's, she had a negative experience as she took a trip to Hell before being brought back to life.

3. Return From Tomorrow by George G. Ritchie

One of the first NDE's to be published, George Ritchie died in an army hospital and took an incredible journey before returning to life.

4. Embraced By The Light by Betty Eadie

I put this in this grouping because recent evidence has left her experience as questionable. Her death is not as well documented as the others. However, she claims to have received a message to bring back after her NDE.

Books which just discuss NDE's... may include some personal experiences:

LDS Based:

1. Beyond Death's Door (Understanding Near-Death experiences in light of the Restored Gospel) by Brent L. Top and Wendy C. Top

2. The Life Beyond by Robert L. Millet and Joseph Fielding McConkie

3. Life Everlasting by Duane S. Crowther

Non-LDS Based: (some are classic in the NDE studies):

1. Life After Death by Raymond Moody

The classic study which basically began the study of NDE's

2. On Death and Dying by Elisabeth Kubler Ross

Another classic which discusses the process of dying and helping those who are dying to make an easy transition

3. Closer to The Light (Learning From the Near-Death Experiences of Children) by Melvin Morse

Deals with the near death experiences of children. Many of their experiences have the same core components of adult NDE's.

There are also many books dealing with NDE's written by Kenneth Ring, another well known name in the NDE field. Some of his books include Heading Towards Omega, Lessons From The Light, Life At Death and The Omega Project. He takes off from the research done by Raymond Moody and goes from there doing much of his own research. He get pretty far afield in some of his studies and conclusions, but some of his books are interesting none the less.

Sheryl

Post Date: 21st Jul, 2007 - 8:02am / Post ID: #

A Friend

LDS Near Death Experiences Studies Doctrine Mormon

My mother recounted a story to me once that seems to fit the bill of an NDE. She was ran over by her own car once, it's a good story, and she was recuperating at the hospital. As she lay in bed at the hospital, in excruciating pain, she discovered that if she concentrated on detaching herself from the pain she could literally separate her spirit from her body and it wouldn't hurt anymore. She did this quite a few times, never straying too far from her body, usually she would just look down at it from up above. The last time she did this her doctor, who was also a Bishop, walked in the room and immediately called for her to return to her body. He was extremely upset with her and told her to never do that again, telling her that she could have no control to return.

She has said that it was very peaceful for her to do that. I have never heard of anyone else that has done such a thing, but for her doctor to enter the room and immediately know what was going on seems like it is maybe a common thing?

Has anyone else ever heard of such a thing?

Post Date: 21st Feb, 2008 - 12:48am / Post ID: #

Page 3 Experiences Death LDS

Name: Rhanee

Comments: I have a question. I am LDS and have always been taught that we will not see Christ and Heavenly Father until the Millennium. The reason why I say this is because of the fact that we either go to spirit prison or to paradise and wait until then. If we were to see God and Jesus then people that aren't members would automatically convert once the heard the gospel. I think children are a little different. They are perfect and can be in the presence of god. I am a little suspicious of adults that say they do.

21st Feb, 2008 - 1:01am / Post ID: #

Experiences Death LDS

Rhanee:

I am LDS and have always been taught that we will not see Christ and Heavenly Father until the Millennium.

Hi Rhanee, where did you get this concept from? (sources please).

Post Date: 18th Sep, 2008 - 11:17pm / Post ID: #

QUOTE (JoePublic @ 20-Feb 08, 8:48 PM)
Name: Rhanee

Comments: I have a question. I am LDS and have always been taught that we will not see Christ and Heavenly Father until the Millennium.

Name: Dave

Comments: The first step anyone should take in trying to validate someones pet Mormon theory, is to try it against the scriptures. The Book of Mormon clearly spells out that when a person dies, they go to God.

Source 1: Alma 40:11
Source 2: Source 2

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 26th Sep, 2008 - 12:12am / Post ID: #

LDS Death Experiences - Page 3

Name: Judi

Comments: Nighthawk mentioned a girl and her father who do firesides about the girls NDE. I was unable to go to the link to find out more about it. Where can I get more info on her experience?

26th Sep, 2008 - 3:14am / Post ID: #

LDS Death Experiences Mormon Doctrine Studies - Page 3

Some of those early links within this Thread were formatted wrong, but I have since corrected that so you as well as everyone else should be able to access what Nighthawk referenced about the Near Death Experiences.

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 

> TOPIC: LDS Near Death Experiences

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,