Some Classic Cartoons Viewed As Racist

Some Classic Cartoons Viewed Racist - Comic / Anime PBP RPGs, Reviews - Posted: 2nd Jun, 2004 - 9:08pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
Post Date: 1st Jun, 2004 - 8:21pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Years ago I remember watching in the news that older cartoons was viewed as racist. Some episodes of Tom & Jerry and Looney Tunes upset the black community. Do you remember when a character would hold a surprise box or package and it exploded in their face. And after the explosion you would see the characters face dark black with big bright red lips saying something in a black voice. Well back in the day , whites use to put black shoe polish on their face and heavily apply bright red lip stick to make their lips look big. They would poke fun at blacks by talking , singing , and dancing like them. Sambo's is what you called these characters back in the day. Every now and then you will catch a Sambo on the older cartoon's.

Sponsored Links:
1st Jun, 2004 - 11:18pm / Post ID: #

Racist Viewed Cartoons Classic Some

Sometimes what is seen as blatantly racist during one era, may not seem so in the next. For instance, in the Caribbean, if you use the word 'negro' to describe someone of African descent then it is not offensive, but yes in the USA. However, in the USA during the 1800s using the word 'negro' was not considered an offense. Same for cartoons, something that is offensive now, was not then, I think people just have to understand the 'good' nature of things and not be so quick to find fault all the time.

2nd Jun, 2004 - 1:43am / Post ID: #

Some Classic Cartoons Viewed As Racist Reviews & RPGs PBP Anime / Comic

If you ever get the chance, give the following website a visit. It provides a compilation of current issues where racism, etc is showcased, and it really gives you some insight into some of the more bizarre ways that racism is viewed these days.

https://www.tonguetied.us/

Here is an example of such a story:

Bloody Hell

Great Britain's high court has ruled that use of the phrase "bloody foreigners" in an altercation can be considered racist and warrant tougher criminal penalties, reports the BBC.

The decision overturned a lower court ruling in the case of a 16-year-old facing charges of racially aggravated criminal damage for shouting at a Turkish kebab shop owner and breaking the window of his shop. He faced stiffer penalties under a 1998 law in which crimes with racist elements are considered worse than others.

The high court ruled that to face the tougher charges, all that was necessary was for the defendant "to demonstrate towards the victim hostility based on the victim's membership, or presumed membership, of a racial group."

2nd Jun, 2004 - 2:11am / Post ID: #

Let's not forget that this is about the cartoons though... there is a collection online of some of these art creations (if we can call them 'art'):
https://www.ferris.edu/news/jimcrow/cartoons/

2nd Jun, 2004 - 3:54am / Post ID: #

I have seen those cartoons and I never thought they were racist but if the African community felt offended, then maybe there is a reason.
I think nowdays, people are quick to judge television shows based on how many 'whites' or 'blacks' there are, I personally think it is ridiculous.

Post Date: 2nd Jun, 2004 - 5:04am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Even though the cartoon's were from another era. I still think the blacks of todays generation get offended by these cartoon's. A few years ago Spike Lee put out a movie called Bamboozled that addessed this topic. Did you know the character Speedy Gonzalez offended the hispanic community. Or what about the Indians. They were offended by the Atlanta Braves mascot. The Atlanta Braves ended up changing out the Indian mascot. But yes I can see how some things viewed as racist is just straight up non sense. Just like the time Jessie Jackson called Aunt Jamama pancake sryup racist because of the black woman on the bottle. Do you remember that ?

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 2nd Jun, 2004 - 8:19pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Some Classic Cartoons Viewed Racist

Hi, here in the US in the 1950s and early 60s Negro was the proper polite term to use. Then in the middle 60s blacks started to redefine their own image including the name they would be referred to.

For awhile there nobody knew what term to use; Negro, African American, Afro, Colored, Black. Funny thing about it though, even Black folks didn't know which term was preferable.

It finally settled on the term Blacks, even though the largest US Black organization is still called the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, that is the NAACP.

I have seen many of the Cartoons that you folks have referred to. Many are awfully uncomfortable to view. The Cartoon Network has Banned a large list of the 30s and 40s stuff.

If you want to find out which, one just enter "Banned Cartoons" in your search engine. You'll find titles like "Coal Black and De Seben Dwarves". Warner Brothers were particularly guilty of these negative stereotypes.

Friends, these were really offensive. I do think these guys set around all day laughing at their own adolesent humor. Blacks were portrayed with gold teeth, straight razors, lazy and jive talkin. Even the service blacks were giving to the War effort was played down and ridiculed.

Try getting Grokster and downloading a few of these and decide for yourself. No need to worry, copyrights are all in public domain nowdays. Ask yourself how you would feel if your particular minority was shown in similar light. Hey, think about it a sec. we're all members of one minority or the other.

A hundred years ago anytime a Latter Day Saint was portrayed in the media they were sneaky black hatted men stealing women away from their husbands for their polygamous "Harems" laugh.gif! Come to thinks of it they still are shown this was today more often then not.

The list of Banned Cartoon also include many War effort shorts showing Nazis and Japanese in a bad light. I can understand embarasment over showing "Japs" as Bucktoothed Half blind Dwarves.

What I can't understand though, is why should we ban anti Nazi Cartoons? Who cares if we offend NAZIs for heavens sake! laugh.gif

Brother Disney

2nd Jun, 2004 - 9:08pm / Post ID: #

Some Classic Cartoons Viewed Racist Comic / Anime PBP RPGs & Reviews

The declaration of raceism is nothing new to anything. some people say racist to everything. they would even call Heavenly Father a racist for where the certan colored peoples are placed and their conditions. as well as their diets. and countries.
I remember one time this one black person said the whites were reacist because they were stealing the black culture and likeing it and another said that we didn't accept the black culture. so racism is in the eye of the beholder.
and if you think about it the only true white person is the angels of the Lord. we are all just different shades of black.
so racist is something that gives certain people something to gripe about or explain their own failures and blaiming other peoples because of it.

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: Some Classic Cartoons Viewed As Racist

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,