Changing Careers

Changing Careers - Sciences, Education, Art, Writing, UFO - Posted: 25th May, 2004 - 4:36pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
When your need to start over
Post Date: 24th Nov, 2003 - 11:46pm / Post ID: #

Changing Careers
A Friend

Changing Careers

I used to think this subject applied more to middle-aged people who have been laid off from their lifelong jobs. However, more and more younger people are also experiencing it. Especially in the technology arena. Has anyone managed to work their way into a completely different career and survived to tell the rest of us about it? What can we be doing right now in order to be prepared for the future? What are some of your survival hints?

Sponsored Links:
26th Nov, 2003 - 10:51pm / Post ID: #

Careers Changing

I can't count the number of times I've had to shift into something different, just to get a job somewhere. Now, I have to admit, I don't have any real education other than high school and a little bit of college (science courses I took in preparation to go to nursing school, which I never did go to) and two technical schools (real estate licensee and court reporting). So I've had to "wing it" a few times. Here are some of the things I've done:

Fast food restaurant cashier and food preparer (yes, I have been a burger flipper in a past life lol)
Forklift operator
Shipping & Receiving
Carpet and vinyl floor installation
Data Entry (very quick and accurate!)
Property Management, Residential
Property Management, Vacations
Real Estate Sales
Bookkeeping
Office Manager
Administrative Assistant
Graphic Design

Some of these were within the same company, just switching departments, and some were from living a really weird life and finding myself in odd situations.

My suggestions for survival in this economic vortex are:

1. Never turn down the opportunity to learn something new, whether it's company sponsored or something you can learn from a friend or neighbor in trade for something you can do for them.
2. Just try it! You never know what you are capable of until you get some experience.
3. Figure out what you are good at and/or what you enjoy doing and learn more about it. Find out if you can make a living doing it. A friend of mine discovered a knack for fixing copy machines and printers. He took a little course and got certified and makes a decent living freelancing.

There are a lot of people out there who have been laid off in the past 3 or 4 years, what with "outsourcing" and "downsizing" and whatever the new euphemism is for firing good workers. Many have been unemployed for a couple of years now. I was unemployed for most of a year. it's really rough out there. Learning a new skill and using the talents you have are the best ways to keep your head above water.

IMO
Roz

27th Nov, 2003 - 4:14am / Post ID: #

Changing Careers UFO & Writing Art Education Sciences

I worked always on Media as a journalist/radio announcer/producer/coordinator and manager, always on Radio Stations. Now I'm a Spanish and Social Studies High School teacher who wants to become an actress smile.gif I don't know if I will make it big or not, it is my dream of ALL my life! (I just never had a supportive family on this issue) dry.gif
But now, I'm ready to go!!! biggrin.gif

2nd Dec, 2003 - 10:08pm / Post ID: #

Careers Changing

Wow, FarSeer, you have done some really interesting things in your life! Diverse too!

I was first in the Marine Corps, then I was a payroll clerk, then a secretary. Now I am a Network Engineer.

When I was a secretary local area networks were just starting to be popular. My manager installed one (he was the engineering department manager) to play with and then we began using it company wide. When something wouldn't work, I would answer his phone, take a message, and then often just figure out how to fix it on my own. When he left, no one knew anything about the network, but they all thought I was a computer expert (I was far from it). So, I offered to learn. They paid for my training and tests to become a Certified Novell Engineer. It was an incredible opportunity. Yes, I had to put in a lot of effort, but still it was a matter of taking advantage of an opportunity when it was offered and being willing to work for it.

So, my advice is take advantage of every opportunity that comes your way and don't be afraid of expending some effort on your part. I am glad I did!

Reconcile Edited: tenaheff on 2nd Dec, 2003 - 10:09pm

3rd Dec, 2003 - 3:51am / Post ID: #

Careers Changing

Wow, FarSeer, you have done some really interesting things in your life! Diverse too!
Yep. Unfortunately, it looks really flaky on a resume' !

So, I offered to learn. They paid for my training and tests to become a Certified Novell Engineer.
What a great opportunity, tena! It really does pay to extend yourself on the job -- you never know where it't going to lead. How long did it take to become certified?

Roz

3rd Dec, 2003 - 2:17pm / Post ID: #

Changing Careers

How long did it take to become certified?

My first certification took 6 months to accomplish. It is a never ending process though to remain certified in the latest stuff. I am ready to give it up, but the pay is good. unsure.gif

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
3rd Dec, 2003 - 2:26pm / Post ID: #

Changing Careers

That's a piece of cake, 6 months...what a great thing to have happen. Yes I understand the need for keeping on top of all the latest... technology is moving forward so fast these days, it really is like magic sometimes.

Roz

Post Date: 25th May, 2004 - 4:36pm / Post ID: #

Changing Careers
A Friend

Changing Careers Sciences Education Art Writing & UFO

I'll be looking for a career change in about 3.5-4 years from now. I'll turn 50 and will be eligible for retirement from my current job. No benefits, no pension, no health care etc. after I retire so it's really not retirement. But, I work for an airline and will be given free travel for life. My thinking is that I can make more money in another field, so once I have my travel benefits, I might as well leave the company. I already have a job lined up, it is one I do now part time delivering motor homes and other vehicles from the factory to the dealer or customer. With my ability to fly back free, it can be pretty lucrative. But, it would get old doing this full time, away from home and family etc. so I need to have something on the side at home as my main job and just keep the driving as part-time. I will be looking to find something I can work my own hours on, in other words, I don't want to be an employe and have them dictate when I come to work. Some thoughts are Real Estate, selling mortgages, or an outside sales rep for other companies. If anyone has any other ideas, I'm listening.

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: Changing Careers

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,